Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David D. Doniger A2-original!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Decided to take the plunge and buy an original Doniger to accompany my Good Wear! Marked a size 40 but measures out to a 42. Appears to be in very good condition. Now I will sell my ELC Werber and an Irvin to pay for it! The Ebay item no. is

af98_3.jpg

b44c_3.jpg

b68f_3.jpg

b614_3.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'm not an expert on A-2s but I think anyone can see what an amazing job John Chapman does in reproducing these jackets. Thanks for all the pics.

fedoralover

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Swoosed said:
Look at the color of the original. Anybody seen a repro that looks like that? I think not....

Actually, I have an ELC RW 1401-P which is like new and is very similar in color, to that Doniger. It (my ELC) is not the normal reddish hue that many 1401's are.

J.A. Dubow

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Close enough for me! Having worked in leather (so to speak) I'd bet there were more differences in hue, tone and texture between different jackets from the original Doniger contract than there seems to be between Andrew's Doniger and the Good wear. A super job of reproduction in a world where the word is massively devalued.

Alan

fedoralover said:
I'm not an expert on A-2s but I think anyone can see what an amazing job John Chapman does in reproducing these jackets. Thanks for all the pics.

fedoralover

aswatland

The Doniger arrived on Thursday from the States, which amazed me! Often they take a couple of weeks to arrive. Its even better than in the ebay pics. I will post some pics of it being worn shortly.

After examining the original closely it is remarkably similar to my Good Wear Doniger. The differences are as follows:

The goatskin is thinner on the original and slightly darker. The throat latch is a slightly different shape and has a small kink in it as on other originals. The snaps are a little larger on the original. Everything else is almost identical! so John has clearly done a wonderful job on the repro!

aswatland

It's too cold to wear an A2 outside today so my son took these inside without a flash. The jacket appears to have traces of gold paint on the leather insignia bars suggesting O.P.Shaffer held the rank of major in the USAAF. I have tried to trace Shaffer, but with no success to date! Any help much appreciated.

002-12.jpg

003-14.jpg

004-9.jpg

005-9.jpg

007-10.jpg

008-9.jpg

009-11.jpg

010-10.jpg

aswatland

I know David D. Doniger was was one of the smaller makers and that Doniger A2s are very rare. Does anyone know roughly the size of this contract, which i have been told dates from May-June 1942, with production possibly starting in early 1943?

srivats

Familiar Face
This is the Goodwear model I am planning to buy ... I love the fit and the leather. aswatland, does this jacket ride up when you lift your hands to chest level or when you are driving?

aswatland

srivats said:
This is the Goodwear model I am planning to buy ... I love the fit and the leather. aswatland, does this jacket ride up when you lift your hands to chest level or when you are driving?

No the jacket does not ride up when I lift my hands to chest level or when I am driving. The GW Doniger is one of my regular wearers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe