Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

rthimens

New in Town
Howdy- Found what I believe to be a 50's resistol based on selling price ($17.50). Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5744.jpg
    IMG_5744.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5750.jpg
    IMG_5750.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5752.jpg
    IMG_5752.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5753.jpg
    IMG_5753.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5754.jpg
    IMG_5754.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 39

Louis Mountbatten

A-List Customer
easy there CAPS no need to yell. My comment was based on seeing ads for similar hats in the 50's for that price.

Thanks for your comment. What characteristics of the hat have led you to suggesting that date range?
The black sweatband is the biggest give away. Prior to the 60s they were almost never black. The union tag is also 60s era as is the maker name printed on top of the leather instead of engraved.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Plastic tip liner too. While some hats that are guesstimated to be 50's hats have the plastic tip liners, that would have been the latter part of the decade transitioning through to the 60's away from the onion skin. Paired with a black sweat, definitely not 50's. The style is a little more yee haw than a 50's hat if you get my drift. That's a lot of brim roll, which was more common later. I have an OPS era Stetson and those catalogs are just beginning to feature pre-rolled brims, but not quite that much roll.

ETA: I missed the "hand creased" imprint. That's another thing that pushes it later than 50's. If you look through the catalogs we have here, this was an intermediary between true open crown hats and the blocked in crease.

Last edited:

rthimens

New in Town
Plastic tip liner too. While some hats that are guesstimated to be 50's hats have the plastic tip liners, that would have been the latter part of the decade transitioning through to the 60's away from the onion skin. Paired with a black sweat, definitely not 50's. The style is a little more yee haw than a 50's hat if you get my drift. That's a lot of brim roll, which was more common later. I have an OPS era Stetson and those catalogs are just beginning to feature pre-rolled brims, but not quite that much roll.
thanks the liner is dark brown. Lots of yee haw in the 40's and 50's I own many western suits from that era and have miller stockman catalogs from then as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld