Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
When was the last time a Dobbs felt hat cost $13.95?

The $XX.95 pricing started about 1956 and lasted through the '60s at least. In 1956, $10.95 was the low end and $13.95 would be a little bit higher quality. By 1965, though, $13.95 would be the low end price. There isn't much information available on pricing from the late-'60s onward.

Brad

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you very much! That is the time frame I was thinking. It's nice to have some experts confirm. The hat has a "Comfit" sweat in it and is from Abraham and Strauss. I am new to fedoras and the lounge and think it is awesome!

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I'm going to pick up a local find on CL. A brown Stetson Royal DeLuxe homburg. Comes in a pristine Stetson round box that is caramel colored with the lid that is caramel with the red ring on the lid sides. Two questions: What age range is this hat with original store price tag of $12.50? Is that box likely the correct box for a hat of its age?
Thanks History Detectives!
Photos to come when I have the hat.

I'm going to pick up a local find on CL. A brown Stetson Royal DeLuxe homburg. Comes in a pristine Stetson round box that is caramel colored with the lid that is caramel with the red ring on the lid sides. Two questions: What age range is this hat with original store price tag of $12.50? Is that box likely the correct box for a hat of its age?
Thanks History Detectives!
Photos to come when I have the hat.

Will have to wait for photos to understand the flavor of your caramel box, but this thread should help you with the price. It's in the important hat forum threads sticky.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Here are photos of the Homburg. Not labeled as a St. Regis as I thought was always the case.
Has a pristine wind tether but it fell off when I was tightening it up, something simple to fix.
7957415526_baa7157916_m.jpg

7957415662_2f32d89d26_m.jpg

7957415802_81e98fd4c3_m.jpg

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm looking for a date on the following hat.
Pics will eventually follow when I get access to a camera but, for now,here's what I have:

Borsalino "Augusta" Allessandria from "A Cambini (Firenze)" ie, Florence
It has a thin ribbon.

The white label says:
N6U 10517
41/2 (the size, obviously)
Bromo (the color; bromine - chocolate brown)
Driason

Next to the size tag there's another paper tag for EULAN (which means it is moth resistant)
The sweatband is tan leather and quite deep.

The only other odd thing is that, while it has the logo and intact oilskin inside, there's is no lining and it looks like it was sold that way.

Any ideas? I'm also wondering what it's worth because it's something I might be willing to part with. The hat's in perfect condition.

Last edited:

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Totally stymied trying to date this Mallory, and a name for the style...? Hopefully there are enough pics to clarify. Thanks in advance, Bobbi (I think it says Cravanette in the band, I thought it was Creamette!) Browsed thru the Mallory info link here on FL, and saw so many that were SIMILAR...?
mens_113.JPG

mens_112.JPG

mens_114.JPG

mens_115.JPG

mens_118.JPG

vesparado

New in Town
American Royal Stetson?

Good day to all you Mr & Mrs Americas & all the ships at sea,

I've had a lot of Stetson's over the years but hung on to an "American Royal Stetson" that doesn't fit me & I can't seem to find any information about.

It's kind of a western Fedora, tan with the Cowboy kneeling & his horse liner. Edging under the brim & a simple rolled grosgrain band.

My brother gave it to me years ago. He was a Railroad Fan & had purchased it for the enamel RR pins on the front & sides, which he removed, then gave me the hat. You can see pinholes from the pins & an outline RR logo but I have long forgotten the line. I may have the box somewhere.

In the mass of information you'all have brought to this site, might someone know when this Stetson?

Thanks,
Mariann

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Totally stymied trying to date this Mallory, and a name for the style...? Hopefully there are enough pics to clarify. Thanks in advance, Bobbi (I think it says Cravanette in the band, I thought it was Creamette!) Browsed thru the Mallory info link here on FL, and saw so many that were SIMILAR...?

Gut feeling is late '30s early '40s. I can't make it out- can you read what the "since. . ." date is in the hat? It should be either 1817 or 1823.

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Gut feeling is late '30s early '40s. I can't make it out- can you read what the "since. . ." date is in the hat? It should be either 1817 or 1823.
Thanks Diner. The hats are at my shop, but Im going to pick them up after a walk and I will see if I can read it. The inside of the crown that is stamped is VERY faded. Yep, might have to get the "readers" out, the ol' eyes aint what they used to be! Bobbi

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Good day to all you Mr & Mrs Americas & all the ships at sea,

I've had a lot of Stetson's over the years but hung on to an "American Royal Stetson" that doesn't fit me & I can't seem to find any information about.

It's kind of a western Fedora, tan with the Cowboy kneeling & his horse liner. Edging under the brim & a simple rolled grosgrain band.

My brother gave it to me years ago. He was a Railroad Fan & had purchased it for the enamel RR pins on the front & sides, which he removed, then gave me the hat. You can see pinholes from the pins & an outline RR logo but I have long forgotten the line. I may have the box somewhere.

In the mass of information you'all have brought to this site, might someone know when this Stetson?

Thanks,
Mariann

Pictures would help immensely. There are a few variations of the "last drop" liner you describe.

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Diner, I got the hat and tried to find a "since..." but Im afraid that the stamp in the middle of the crown is so faded, as to be unrecognizable. What I did find, were 2 labels on the inside (under the sweat band) of the hat, just next to the little bow and size tag. One is the same size as a standnard US postage stamp, with the same edges (scalloped). It reads: United Hatters, Caps and Millernery Wkrs, Int Unions"....and a longer label "862758 Duplicat, Size 7 1/8" Unfortunately, dont have my camera with me, but will take pics tomorrow and post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82