Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating an Open Road !

Besse

New in Town
Hi~
I have researched quite a bit and have had no luck with this... I have had this Stetson for years, inherited it from my dad's side. I kept it as it is a 7 1/8 which is my riding helmet size, but just realized that this is way too big for me to wear :-( Oddly it has been kept in a "Lee" hat box. Brand new, and labels intact. Any ideas based on the price? My guess is the early 60's. Thanks for any info! I will be putting this up for sale, since it does not fit... darn.

Attachments

• Stetson_OR-Label.jpg
    Stetson_OR-Label.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 448
  • Stetson_side.jpg
    Stetson_side.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 602
Hi~
I have researched quite a bit and have had no luck with this... I have had this Stetson for years, inherited it from my dad's side. I kept it as it is a 7 1/8 which is my riding helmet size, but just realized that this is way too big for me to wear :-( Oddly it has been kept in a "Lee" hat box. Brand new, and labels intact. Any ideas based on the price? My guess is the early 60's. Thanks for any info! I will be putting this up for sale, since it does not fit... darn.

Very late 1950s to very early 1960s.

Just for the future, we have existing threads for questions about dating of hats.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dating-an-open-road.64911/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...to-discuss-the-age-of-your-vintage-hat.30350/

It keeps it cleaner if there aren’t new threads created for every question. No worries, just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Besse

New in Town
Shoot! I was trying hard to figure this posting thing out... wasn't sure the proper etiquette, can I delete the thread and change it over to an existing?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'll be interested to see what you find out. As a novice hatter, the keyhole tag suggests late 50s to early 60's as suggested above. However, a price of over $100 new (if indeed that was the new price) seems way high for the time unless it was/is a very special sort of hat.

Shoot! I was trying hard to figure this posting thing out... wasn't sure the proper etiquette, can I delete the thread and change it over to an existing?

Don’t worry about changing threads. A moderator might merge them at some point.

The pricing form is very cool, but it was priced per dozen. I wouldn’t think that the store normally provided it to customers as then and now wholesale pricing isn’t usually public knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Colin G

One Too Many
I have what I think is a Stetson Open Road.

This is my grandfather's old hat which has been kicking around since he died in the early 80's.

Is anyone able to confirm the date? I am thinking late 1950s to mid 1960s.

Also, what are these worth and is it worthwhile for me to get it cleaned and sell it? It is dusty from sitting in the box all these years and not being worn. It does not fit so no sense having it just sit around unused.

thumbnail_IMG_0220.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0221.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0222.jpg

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I have what I think is a Stetson Open Road.

This is my grandfather's old hat which has been kicking around since he died in the early 80's.

Is anyone able to confirm the date? I am thinking late 1950s to mid 1960s.

Also, what are these worth and is it worthwhile for me to get it cleaned and sell it? It is dusty from sitting in the box all these years and not being worn. It does not fit so no sense having it just sit around unused.

View attachment 240664

View attachment 240665

View attachment 240666
Hey Colin:
Good to see you in the hats thread.
Your’s is a Canadian Stetson, like yourself, and a fine example of an OR but doesn’t appear branded OR on the sweatband. Some Canadian Stetsons have a date stamped on the inside of the sweatband. If the leather looks pliable you can turn it out, very carefully, and look. Also any pics of tags behind the sweatband Would help in dating. Canada did different size tags, foil, and mapleleaves in the crests that throw a wrench in dating for us US folks.
Your Grandpa’s hat is very special and lives up to the name Select. Very nice.
Be well.
Bowen
Ps: the Lost Worlds Trucker is still a fave of mine. Epic
B

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks Bowen.

No dates on the back of the band. Band is still soft and pliable.

No labels either, just what appears a stuck on label that has a 7 on it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bowen.

No dates on the back of the band. Band is still soft and pliable.

No labels either, just what appears a stuck on label that has a 7 on it.
Hey Colin:
Thanks for looking and updating. Too bad no tags, that always helps but often times they are missing. I’m always hesitant to throw out a guess as to age even if somewhat educated and even less so for a value. Hopefully other’s have greater insight and will comment.
Let me put it in leather jacket speak. What you have here is the good Langlitz Columbia or maybe an original Windward in size 38, in excellent condition and being Grandpa’s adds to the historic value more so than dollars. But like a jacket, if it doesn’t fit, it’s a sentimental item.
B

Colin G

One Too Many
I know for a fact it is earlier than 1966 since that is when my grandfather moved from Rosetown Sask and that hat was purchased there. So between then and the mid fifties when he moved there with my grandmother and mom. That is all I know.

Too bad these are not overly desirable since I'd like to move it on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jbain75