Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating a Stetson "Open Road"

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
IMHO

The Box says late 80's - early 90's. The sweatband with the gold ribbon says the same. I purchased one just like it from Stetson Outlet a few months ago for 20.00. It would compare nicely to yours only your sweatband looks a little more plush. Put it on and keep you head warm!!

slimdigby

New in Town
You have a point ...

The felt is pretty stiff indeed - so that would indicate a later model. The sweatband seems to be a better quality leather than my more recent OR. Also the color is more beige than my newer Silverbelly OR. And like I mentioned before, the crown is a notch taller and the brim a bit narrower than my newer OR. That actually caused me to think it was older, it has that 1960s Dallas Police detective look.
Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's every reason to think it's a later hat, based on
the stitching, printing on the sweat, box, etc. But stiffness
of felt is not a good basis on which to date a hat, even a OR.

I have a OR "25" from the 50s that I sent in to Optimo for resizing
and a new sweatband. No question that the hat is older, probably
1950s. Graham was as impressed as I was with the felt. A great hat.
But the felt is fairly stiff.

Ever touch a bowler?

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Why the name Open Road?

(OK, in a way this is :eek:fftopic: in this thread, but the question crops up while again thinking about the history of this hat model...)

Perhaps it is because of a Western reference which is unknown to this boy from the Low Countries, but from where does the name Open Road derive? Why the reference to the road, instead of the field?

Stratoliner, I can fathom, in the context of the forties. The same for names such as Flagship or Cadet Blue. As for the Whippet, it has been discussed that nobody seems to know why Stetson named a hat after this dog.

But what about the Open Road?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bantam Man said:
(OK, in a way this is :eek:fftopic: in this thread, but the question crops up while again thinking about the history of this hat model...)

Perhaps it is because of a Western reference which is unknown to this boy from the Low Countries, but from where does the name Open Road derive? Why the reference to the road, instead of the field?

Stratoliner, I can fathom, in the context of the forties. The same for names such as Flagship or Cadet Blue. As for the Whippet, it has been discussed that nobody seems to know why Stetson named a hat after this dog.

But what about the Open Road?

The "Open Road" represents journeys of self-discovery, quests to define our national identity, opportunities to escape from the daily routine, and expressions of social protest-The image of The "Open Road" that prevailed 100 years ago, when footloose armies of homeless created a network of rowdy ''hobohemias'' across the country, made the first protest march on Washington and captured the public imagination as a rugged vanguard of radical unionism are now largely forgotten. Remember Woody Guthrie?
The American road narrative has been a significant and popular literary & cinimatic genre for decades. Romance of the Road captures America's love affair with roads, cars, travel, speed, and the lure of open spaces. With roots reaching back to quest romance and pilgrimage, the myth of the American highway explores our diverse and often conflicted cultural values. In 1893, the eminent historian Frederick Jackson Turner opined "For a moment, at the frontier, the bonds of custom are broken and unrestraint is triumphant". The "Open Road" was something which created a physical link between that which was civilized and established, and that which was not.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
The "Open Road" represents journeys of self-discovery, quests to define our national identity, opportunities to escape from the daily routine, and expressions of social protest-The image of The "Open Road" that prevailed 100 years ago, when footloose armies of homeless created a network of rowdy 'hobohemias' across the country, made the first protest march on Washington and captured the public imagination as a rugged vanguard of radical unionism are now largely forgotten. Remember Woody Guthrie?

The "Open Road" was something which created a physical link between that which was civilized and established, and that which was not.

BRILLIANT!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And let us not forget the wobblies, cowboys, loggers, gandy dancers, rail hands and farmworkers who traveled across and built this great open expanse of land that is now being hedged in by box stores and mini-marts.

Let us not forget the "The Songs of the Open Road" by Whitman . . .
or the Mother Road of Steinbeck and Kerouac . . .

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
The "Open Road" represents journeys of self-discovery, quests to define our national identity, opportunities to escape from the daily routine, and expressions of social protest-The image of The "Open Road" that prevailed 100 years ago, when footloose armies of homeless created a network of rowdy ''hobohemias'' across the country, made the first protest march on Washington and captured the public imagination as a rugged vanguard of radical unionism are now largely forgotten. Remember Woody Guthrie?
The American road narrative has been a significant and popular literary & cinimatic genre for decades. Romance of the Road captures America's love affair with roads, cars, travel, speed, and the lure of open spaces. With roots reaching back to quest romance and pilgrimage, the myth of the American highway explores our diverse and often conflicted cultural values. In 1893, the eminent historian Frederick Jackson Turner opined "For a moment, at the frontier, the bonds of custom are broken and unrestraint is triumphant". The "Open Road" was something which created a physical link between that which was civilized and established, and that which was not.

Nice.

Cheers,
JtL

slimdigby

New in Town
the magic of the Stetson Open Road ...

... has everything to do with the remarkably eloquent words stated on this thread. I spent much of my youth in the American West, I had different cowboy hats. When I first tried on the OR in Phoenix around 1989 at 24, the name alone sent a tingle down my spine. The salesman told me it was the LBJ hat etc. I didn't buy it then, I felt it was a "grown" mans hat. You need a certain format to wear it. I have an old 1960s Stetson ad that says: "The Open Road hat ($12.95-$100) - To wear with flair anywhere, Westerners love it - so do Easterners. Its classic lines, narrow band, set-up brim have made it a best-seller everywhere"
much obliged, Digby ;)

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:

Rick, Thank you very much for this explanation! :eusa_clap It is very helpful to me that you link to other elements of the American canon. For instance, Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" comes to mind, while reading your message.
With this cultural history in mind, the Open Road gets meaning to me. I really appreciate this. Part of my interest in vintage headwear is to understand their cultural and historical context.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
See the USA in your Cheverolet! (and wear an Open Road)
I think it was a sentiment of wander-lust that was more prevalent in days gone by. The Depression was over and people had ventured from their home towns on a scale never seen in history due to WWII. The automobile was making travel easier.

Maybe life is better on the other side of the the horizon. Or, who knows what adventures we might find.

Just some of my thoughts on it.

Man this has turned into an interesting thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe