Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dads Car...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a great commercial. I'd love to be able to find one of my Dad's old cars - a 1953 Olds 88 four-door sedan.

I've never seen the full commercial before. I just can't be happier for these folks. What a cool story.

My dad had an identical car in High School, and to this day, if you ask him what his favorite car he ever owned was, and he's owned a lot. He will tell you his 65 Impala SS was his favorite.

Justin B

One Too Many
Funny how we get attached to our cars. My Dad's first car after he got back from Vietnam was a '64 Impala 2dr hardtop with a 327, baby blue. Had it up until he and my Mom got married, when "Just married" got painted down the side with housepaint. The thought was because it was water based it would just rinse off...it didn't.

He sold it to a local and around the time I was 15 and thinking about a car I started hunting it down. Found it sitting behind a barn under a tarp. Never could convince the guy to sell it to me though. It's still there, or at least was the last time I went home to visit. I always stop by and ask whenever I'm in town.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My dad had an identical car in High School, and to this day, if you ask him what his favorite car he ever owned was, and he's owned a lot. He will tell you his 65 Impala SS was his favorite.
My father bought a '66 Impala Super Sport in beige with a cream-and-gold interior in the fall of '65, so I guess it was new and not used. I got to drive it once, if you call "piloting said car around an empty parking lot while learning absolutely nothing" counts as driving. Very smooth beast even at age 4-5.

I always wished he'd give or sell it to me for college, but no soap. It's a shame the car companies don't see a market for big two-door coupes; I'd buy one in a flash, and I guess the '66 is a major reason why I would.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had a pal in the service, when I was stationed in Hawaii from 1967 to 69 who had a Chevy identical to that, but in a light green (or maybe a sort of beige? Don't remember) He loved it and drove it all over the island of Oahu for about a year. Then it suddenly "went missing". It was found in the harbor. He never said anything, but we all figured he did it to get the insurance money. Damned shame.
My mom's first car was a sweet little 51 Chevy 2 door. Dark green. Then she traded it for a very nifty 58 Chevy coup, red on the bottom, white on top, with the little V-8 they had at the time. That was a sweet little car. Then she traded it in for a 59 Ford . . . .

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I have an English friend who said that she used to have elocution lessons in school and they made everyone say "My Father's Car is a Jag-U-ar"..... Early stage product placement?

Funny you mention that. I was just saying the same thing. I've been looking for something a little sportier than the old station wagon for taking cruisin'. The young ladies think you're out grocery shopping when they see that wood-paneled barge coming down the road.

I can't find anything modern, so I was thinking perhaps an Eldorado from the 70's with the 500 ci, or a 68 Caprice.

It's a shame the car companies don't see a market for big two-door coupes; I'd buy one in a flash, and I guess the '66 is a major reason why I would.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When I was living in Brooklyn, i remember standing at the back window in my bedroom watching the morning ritual of my dad leaving for work. Open the garage door, unlock the car, start it, let it warm up (a must in those carbureted days), then back out of the driveway and drive down the alley way until he was out of sight. It began in the early '60s with a white '63 Pontiac Bonneville convertible, and continued after that with a '68 Mercury Cougar XR7, black cherry with a black vinyl roof.

Before the Pontiac was a '57 Oldsmobile Rocket 88, but I was very young and have only a couple of clear memories of it.

My dad's Bonneville had an ice blue interior although this one doesn't:
1961-pontiac-bonneville-conv-dsf.jpg

I don't know if this one is an XR7 but it's pretty close to my dad's car:
medium_68_Cougar_Frt_RH.jpg

This is very close to my dad's rocket 88. His was white. This one looks a bit pink but it could just be the picture.
1957_Oldsmobile_88_2-Door_Hardtop_Golden_Rocket_White_Rr_Qtr.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad was a big man who liked big cars. I remember my Dad saying that, in his younger days, he liked to trade cars every two or three years. He started out with a '49 Olds, but kept it only a month. He said he didn't like it and traded it for a '49 Chevy Fleetline 4 door. After that was a '51 Chevy Fleetline 4 door, then a '53 Olds Super 88. I believe the '53 Olds was his favorite car, and the picture of he and my Mother just about sums up the feel I got when ever he talked about that '53 Olds.

DSC03478.jpg

After the '53, there was a 1955 Olds 98 four-door sedan. I have a good memory of that big car. I remember I used to like to ride on the back window shelf. I also remember that the car had an electronic eye that would dim the lights when meeting an on coming car. It also had a buzzer that you could set that alerted you when you exceeded whatever speed you set the alert for. I used to like to get in the car and set the buzzer for a real low speed, so when my Dad pulled out of the drive the thing would go off.

After the '55 Olds there was a 1960 Buick Station Wagon. That had to be the ugliest car ever. Then there was a '62 Olds 88 Station Wagon, a '66 Olds "Vista Cruiser" wagon (it was a "lemon"). The last new big car my Dad bought was a '68 Dodge wagon. After that he had several more used station wagons, and always lamented that "they just don't make big cars anymore."

53Effie

A-List Customer
Great video HD. It sure touched my heart as a 60's car guy. The Kleenex is somewhat depleted here too after watching that. Now, if my boys could just find my 55 Chevy! Boy, would that be cool.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe