Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D.O.A.

Feraud

Bartender
Frank Bigelow, an accountant on a business trip finds out he has been intentionally poisoned. With just days to live, he scrambles to find out exactly who has done this and why he has been targeted for murder.

noirdisc320fd5.jpg

noirdisc331gd9.jpg

the murder weapon, a luminous poison...

noirdisc3171ss8.jpg

See D.O.A. for a fine gem of a Noir film.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I like watching "Bladerunner" right after "D.O.A." to see the Bradbury Building past and future both in a noir setting.

I love "D.O.A."! Excellent movie. Whenever I see tonic water glowing blue under a blacklight at a bar I think of that movie.

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Gotta love it!

This is indeed one of my favorite movies. Actually, Bigelow is on vacation in San Francisco, not on a business trip. That's one of the things I enjoy about the film. He's a single man just looking to have a relaxing vacation in the big city, and goes looking for a good time.

I should dig out my VHS copy of this and put it in the VCR this evening. I watch it at least once a year; I suppose I should buy a DVD version.

"RadioHead"

Feraud

Bartender
Two questions.
1 - Is there a decent quality print available for purchase? My copy is from a three disc Film Noir collection and not very good.

2 - Does anyone thing the "wolf whistles" were intentional? It seems very out of place with the rest of the film.
I would love to speak to someone who saw this film in 1950!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Two questions.
1 - Is there a decent quality print available for purchase? My copy is from a three disc Film Noir collection and not very good.

2 - Does anyone thing the "wolf whistles" were intentional? It seems very out of place with the rest of the film.
I would love to speak to someone who saw this film in 1950!

1. Yes. Roan has released the best print I've seen.

2. Yes, they were an intentional attempt at humour in context. Don't forget that Bigelow has gone to SF for a vacation from his best girl and intends on partying harty and meeting some ladies of easy leisure. The "whistles" in the music represent his subjectivity, the way he sees things.

My dad saw it back in the day and always recalled it as one of his faves. He went to the movies to have a larff.

Famosos%5CF5.jpg

I love Edmond Obrien a great actor who had a long and varied career spanning Hunchback of Notre Dame to Wild Bunch and beyond. I love the part where he panics when he's told he's been poisoned and goes running through the streets. No one does fat, sweaty and panicked like Ed Obrien.

Here's another question. What is the glowing liquid the doctor shows Bigelow. Is it a sample of luminous toxin that the doctor had hanging around the office or is it something that Frank provided, a blood or urine sample?

Feraud

Bartender
jake_fink said:
Thank you. I would appreciate seeing a better quality version of the film.

jake_fink said:
2. Yes, they were an intentional attempt at humour in context. Don't forget that Bigelow has gone to SF for a vacation from his best girl and intends on partying harty and meeting some ladies of easy leisure. The "whistles" in the music represent his subjectivity, the way he sees things.

My dad saw it back in the day and always recalled it as one of his faves. He went to the movies to have a larff.
O.k. I will take your word on that. But I still hate the horny wolf whistle.. :mad: ;)

jake_fink said:
I love the part where he panics when he's told he's been poisoned and goes running through the streets. No one does fat, sweaty and panicked like Ed Obrien.
lol lol There is a better reason for that scene. It shows O'brien running past real people on typical street! There are great details for those with an eye for it.

jake_fink said:
Here's another question. What is the glowing liquid the doctor shows Bigelow. Is it a sample of luminous toxin that the doctor had hanging around the office or is it something that Frank provided, a blood or urine sample?
I always assumed it was blood. I believe the doctor says it was absorbed into his bloodstream and Bigelow had one drink's worth of the poison. I figured he did not drink enough to have an excess.
But look at how much is in the sample vial to make it glow!! :eek: :D

Sunny

One Too Many
How interesting! I'm an OTR (Old Time Radio) nut, and I was just listening to the run of "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" that starred Edmond O'Brien in the title role. Many times the announcer would tell the listeners what film O'Brien was currently starring in. One of them was D.O.A., and I remember wondering if it was any good. I'm thrilled to hear y'all like it so much! It's added to my list.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I hate this forum! :rage: I've just spent more pennies than I should on some recommendations, and now you come up with more!!!!! GRRRRRRR. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Caledonia said:
I hate this forum! :rage: I've just spent more pennies than I should on some recommendations, and now you come up with more!!!!! GRRRRRRR. ;)
Stick around. We will send you to the poorhouse with the movie recommendations! ;)

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Stick around. We will send you to the poorhouse with the movie recommendations! ;)

Actually that's not such a bad idea. Well the poorhouse is but I digress. We need our own version of the AFI 100. A list of top must-have films, with films rated in descending order based on votes. I've gone through a lot of old threads on here to try to find some great movies. Sometimes I hit pay dirt, other times it's spotty. Would love one thread will all recommended movies on it. Then again I do my searches after a hard day's work, so there may be something I missed.

Rosie

One Too Many
Feraud said:
O.k. I will take your word on that. But I still hate the horny wolf whistle.. :mad: ;)

lol I love the whistles, it's so funny because like Jake says, you know just what is on his mind. That always makes me laugh.
lol
I saw this again not long ago after not watching it for years (I saw it when I was much younger) and just got the part with The Fishermen, funny stuff man.

If you watch when he is running through the streets, you see the same couple like three times. They didn't have a budget for more extras?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe