Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CXL Horsehide VS. Vicenza

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
DD6975DC-B320-4044-91BB-2973F8DAAA2C.jpeg
7288F852-D2D5-4B1C-AED2-76E2D7E99786.jpeg
Eleven years on things change. Here we are again this time san bike I am wearing heavy horse in this my daughter still has a bit of attitude. The harley is tucked away in the garage. Down to one bike these days, and way too many leather jackets.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I have Scottish blood, so I don't have a leg to stand on as wearing skirts is concerned.

It's what we're not wearing under the skirt that should concern you all.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I’ll throw my two cents in as a long-time wearer of both Vicenza and Jerky (and a fan of CXL :))! My first Aero jacket was a Seal Jerky A-1 that I wore for many years. It broke in nicely and had some fairly grainy parts. The main character development was some color rub-off along the seams, which gave it a desirably worn look. My next jacket was a two-tone Sunburst in Seal and Black Vicenza. It looked very nice out of the box, but it didn’t really become interesting until after a few months of wear (rain, motorcycle, more rain). Then I started to see highlights in the color and a ton of variety in the grain. Every year it developed more character! This is a huge difference from CXL, which changes within about a week of wear. The pull-up effect comes out, the grain pops and the leather creases (even from the tiniest movement). While I’m not a wearer of CXL, I’ve seen this every time with new CXL jackets tried on in the shop (back in the day) and now with new CXL jackets that we send out for fittings. I would say that the CXL gives a pretty quick gratification for the development of the texture and color, but it needs some wear to get softer (though CXL will start to shape to you very quickly). The Vicenza is quite flexible right out of the box and it has a ton of variety in the grain (from hide to hide and within a single hide), but it will take some wear to develop more color variation and character!

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
I’ll throw my two cents in as a long-time wearer of both Vicenza and Jerky (and a fan of CXL :))! My first Aero jacket was a Seal Jerky A-1 that I wore for many years. It broke in nicely and had some fairly grainy parts. The main character development was some color rub-off along the seams, which gave it a desirably worn look. My next jacket was a two-tone Sunburst in Seal and Black Vicenza. It looked very nice out of the box, but it didn’t really become interesting until after a few months of wear (rain, motorcycle, more rain). Then I started to see highlights in the color and a ton of variety in the grain. Every year it developed more character! This is a huge difference from CXL, which changes within about a week of wear. The pull-up effect comes out, the grain pops and the leather creases (even from the tiniest movement). While I’m not a wearer of CXL, I’ve seen this every time with new CXL jackets tried on in the shop (back in the day) and now with new CXL jackets that we send out for fittings. I would say that the CXL gives a pretty quick gratification for the development of the texture and color, but it needs some wear to get softer (though CXL will start to shape to you very quickly). The Vicenza is quite flexible right out of the box and it has a ton of variety in the grain (from hide to hide and within a single hide), but it will take some wear to develop more color variation and character!
Thanks for your observations Carrie, you have far more experience with a variety of leathers than me. I am looking forward to seeing how the new half belt that you sent me wears. In another few years I will be far more knowledgeable on how vinceza ages.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Good to know that CXL is worth the effort.

This was a big part of my curiosity - how does Vicenza look after you've had it a while. It sounds like it stays about the same appearance wise, while CXL will change more with use.

Great post - thank you. Would you go with Steer or Horse CXL?

Are you recommending Steer CXL over Horse? My only concern with horse CXL is that I see a fair number of these jackets that don't look like they have aged gracefully - the leather looks more sharply creased, almost crumpled up for lack of a better word. Perhaps that's just poor treatment? I am surprised how many people are recommending the steer.

Yeah, I can see this. Now that I've experienced both CXL and Vicenza, they're pretty much night and day different.

I'd go for steer. It's just easier to wear. People like both. I was on the horse wagon until I found out what I liked. Process of discovery. There's not a right or wrong choice.

ksozay

One Too Many

You have to post pics of the Vic jacket. Not enough pics of these jackets with wear and tear on them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here are some photos of my "baby." I did sell it after four years of wear...was still in search of "the one" ;) and I think I've found it in my new Seal Vicenza Type 3! I don't have any natural sunlight photos of the Sunburst, which is a shame. Natural light brings out so much more of the depth of color in both Vicenza and CXL! We may not have any more natural light in Seattle for the next five months, but if I find any, I'll take some photos of my Type 3 :cool:

Aero Sunburst Two-Tone Vicenza front.jpg
Aero Sunburst Two-Tone Vicenza cuff.jpg
Aero Sunburst Two-Tone Vicenza tag.jpg
Aero Sunburst Two-Tone Vicenza chest pocket.jpg
Aero Sunburst Two-Tone Vicenza side strap.jpg
Aero Sunburst Two-Tone Vicenza shoulder grain.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here are a few interesting photos from a customer here in Seattle! He was caught in a heavy downpour in Seattle a few months into wearing his Seal Vicenza BR and the effect was very positive. I'm not saying you need to take a swim in your jacket (I did not--the years of drizzle just added up), but the leather will benefit from a little "abuse!"

Aero Board Racer customer patina 1.JPG
Aero Board Racer customer patina 3.JPG
Aero Board Racer customer patina 2.JPG

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
This looks like the "good" Vicenza! Some have said that there's a lot of variation among different batches of the stuff, and that really shakes my confidence in trying it. If it all looked this good, there wouldn't be any doubt.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Here are a few interesting photos from a customer here in Seattle! He was caught in a heavy downpour in Seattle a few months into wearing his Seal Vicenza BR and the effect was very positive. I'm not saying you need to take a swim in your jacket (I did not--the years of drizzle just added up), but the leather will benefit from a little "abuse!"

View attachment 143108 View attachment 143109 View attachment 143110
That looks really characterful and unlike any other Vicenza I have seen.Generally too uniform for my taste especially compared to Horween CXL

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
This looks like the "good" Vicenza! Some have said that there's a lot of variation among different batches of the stuff, and that really shakes my confidence in trying it. If it all looked this good, there wouldn't be any doubt.

We have seen a lot of variation, but that's not really a good or bad...the leather in the above photos didn't start out looking this way. My current Seal Vicenza Type 3 was one of the smoothest I had seen (and the color showed a bit dull), but it's now quite grainy and the color is starting to come out! I guess the take away would be that you can't judge it from the starting point. We've see this with CXL as well...there's a lot of variation and quite a few CXL jackets start out at a not-so-interesting point. But the reward comes with the wear!

Solo

Familiar Face
I’ve had CXL and now had my first Vicenza. I wish all my jackets were Vicenza now. They are light, supple but every bit as durable and full of character. Mine is developing some nice texture, color and grain I did not see when I took delivery. This is only after a month of wearing, and I cannot wait to see what it will be like a year or two from now. I’ve also handled Shinki and didn’t care for the wide variation in the same jacket (each panel had different look, texture) to begin with. I rather start with even texture and grain and let the jacket take on true patina from use over time. It’s happening.

willyto

One Too Many
We have seen a lot of variation, but that's not really a good or bad...the leather in the above photos didn't start out looking this way. My current Seal Vicenza Type 3 was one of the smoothest I had seen (and the color showed a bit dull), but it's now quite grainy and the color is starting to come out! I guess the take away would be that you can't judge it from the starting point. We've see this with CXL as well...there's a lot of variation and quite a few CXL jackets start out at a not-so-interesting point. But the reward comes with the wear!
Very few people here wear their jackets long enough for them to develop character so that's why some people never get to enjoy what daily wear means to certain leathers. Hence why some leathers are more patronized than others.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Very few people here wear their jackets long enough for them to develop character so that's why some people never get to enjoy what daily wear means to certain leathers. Hence why some leathers are more patronized than others.

That is so true.
I stayed away from used jackets for years because i was too picky about measurements.
This year i have started buying used, and 4 out of the 5 jackets i bought had less than 10 hours wear on them.
They were literally brand new, maybe worn a couple times at home and that's it, no sleeve creases, no collar shape, nothing!
I think from now on i am just going to scour the internet for deals like that, 50% off for a brand new jacket is hard to argue with.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
That is so true.
I stayed away from used jackets for years because i was too picky about measurements.
This year i have started buying used, and 4 out of the 5 jackets i bought had less than 10 hours wear on them.
They were literally brand new, maybe worn a couple times at home and that's it, no sleeve creases, no collar shape, nothing!
I think from now on i am just going to scour the internet for deals like that, 50% off for a brand new jacket is hard to argue with.
That's how I get a lot of my jackets.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some photos of my "baby." I did sell it after four years of wear...was still in search of "the one" ;) and I think I've found it in my new Seal Vicenza Type 3! I don't have any natural sunlight photos of the Sunburst, which is a shame. Natural light brings out so much more of the depth of color in both Vicenza and CXL! We may not have any more natural light in Seattle for the next five months, but if I find any, I'll take some photos of my Type 3 :cool:

View attachment 143091 View attachment 143092 View attachment 143093 View attachment 143094 View attachment 143095 View attachment 143096
oh my goodness!!! amazing leather. any regrets selling this beauty???
if all vicenza looked like this with wear you would sell countless.....

Agreed^^. Carries jacket shows a much more "natural" grain. Not uniform, lots of grain induced creases, etc. Looks far more interesting. I would've thought getting vic wet would be a bad idea. Apparently not!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Agreed^^. Carries jacket shows a much more "natural" grain. Not uniform, lots of grain induced creases, etc. Looks far more interesting. I would've thought getting vic wet would be a bad idea. Apparently not!

Water is the key to leather goodness...
I have been keeping the sleeves of my grizzly wet all week end and it is doing wonders to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe