Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Aero Cossack

Rufus

Practically Family
Feraud,

On the whole, yes.

Jackets' can be darted in, or side cinches added to accommodate wider shoulders/ trimmer waists.

It's just VERY important to make this very clear to the manufacturer, and not wait til arrival to mention it! (As I did previously... sigh..).

Aero are extremely accommodating, and can/will make alterations.

Rufus

JLStorm

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Just wondering.. if they are doing a custom fitting, shouldn't the measurements you provide be do-able?

When I told them the size of my arms, I was told that

"Whilst we cant change the patterns, we can make more room in that area when cutting
the leather and taking smaller seams whilst turning to give more room in that area..."

I took that to mean they could make adjustments, but not complete customization. For instance, with my experience in buying a suit, I can take a factory pattern and have it re-cut to my specific shape, but it still wont fit perfect, it will fit ok, but still have some extra fabric here and there or be tight in certain areas from the remnants of the original design cut. A custom made suit however that is tailored from the ground up to my body would not have those faults.

Maybe I interpreted this wrong, thats just what I gathered from the email I received back from Aero.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Nice Jacket!

Cool looking jacket. Enjoy. I just got a a email from Mark at Areo USA and he said my new Aero was shipped today from the factory and he will contact me as soon as he get his hands on it. I'm so happy because the factory is closing down for a seventeen day vacation.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Feltfan, sorry about being slow to reply. I've been busy and away, and not checked the Lounge for a few weeks.

I think that the jacket's too big for me. It's fine across the shoulders, but too loose through the chest and belly.

Part of the problem is that I've lost 10 to 14 lbs (5 to 7 kg) since the winter, when I last wore my Hercules. So obviously I don't fill it as well as I used to.

The other factor is that a lot of clothing companies assume that a large chest is accompanied by an equally large belly. But I'm not that sort of shape. I've had to go up to a 52 to fit my shoulders in, but leaves a lot of loose material around the waist.

The double breasted style might be making things looks worse than they are too.

I've been meaning to ask Amanda about alterations, so it might be able to be adjusted to suit. If not, I'll sell it on.

I haven't come across the infamous Cordovan colour bleed yet, but I've not worn it more than to try it on.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
James Miller said:
Cool looking jacket. Enjoy. I just got a a email from Mark at Areo USA and he said my new Aero was shipped today from the factory and he will contact me as soon as he get his hands on it. I'm so happy because the factory is closing down for a seventeen day vacation.

WHAAAAAAAAAAT???????
Yesterday was my 8 week mark (no pun intended) from the time I ordered my Barnstormer. I've been checking my email twice every day to see if Mark chimed in to let me know it was ready. Granted, I had some special requests that might have made it take longer, but now I know why I might no be hearing anything. When does the factory re-open?

I suppose I should reming myself that it is still in the 90's (F) here, so when I do get it, all I will be able to do is drool over it until November or so, which means they will have plenty of time to get all my peculiar little requests in and have it to me long before I need it. But still, I can't help but think "I want it now."

Sigh................back to waiting.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Graemsay said:
Feltfan, sorry about being slow to reply. I've been busy and away, and not checked the Lounge for a few weeks.

I think that the jacket's too big for me. It's fine across the shoulders, but too loose through the chest and belly.

Sorry to hear this. Congrats on losing the weight, though.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'm planning on chatting to Amanda, and seeing if anything can be done.

If not, I'll either start eating pies or sell it on to someone. :)

Graemsay

Practically Family
I think that an update is overdue.

I spoke to Amanda after the jacket arrived, and she advised wearing it a few times before making any decisions. She said that Aero would be willing to take it in a bit if need be.

Anyway, the weather's cooled down a bit, and I can now wear it without melting. I needed a leather jacket for a motorbike lesson, so it's had a bit of wear over the weekend.

The jacket's always been right across the shoulders, and it's now moulded to fit me a lot better. So that's good.

There's still a bit too much leather around the waist, but it's not too bad around the hips. Bellytank's suggestion of darts at the back might be just the ticket to get it to fit correctly.

The leather is breaking in and aging very quickly. Scratches show up a lot more readily than on the previous, black jackets that I've owned, and I think it's going to look nicely battered in a few years.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I forgot to add that a very attractive woman really liked my jacket this weekend, so Aero must be doing something right. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe