Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Conversion and a Portis

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Got this 'open road' style Portis yesterday. Size 7. The sweatband was coming out so I had to sew that back in, other than that it is a nice hat. I like the color too.

DSCF1204.jpg

DSCF1205.jpg

I also bought a cowboy hat yesterday. No before pic but you all know what they look like: cattleman's crease, 4" brim, very stiff. Here it is after conversion:

DSCF1206.jpg

newfedora.jpg

5 1/2" crown when bashed, 6 1/2" open. 2 3/4" brim on front and back, 2 1/2" on sides. I also added a 1 1/2" ribbon and bow.

Cheers

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
Great job on the conversion. The color on the "Portis" looks a bit Pink to me...is it because of the flash maybe? :rolleyes:

Nope, that's it's true color. It's pink. :eek: :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Great hats, love the cowboy conversion and the Portis pink hat.

Hey, don't be embarrassed -- men are wearing the color now, I see guys all the time, newscasters, execs, etc., wearing pink ties, pink shirts.

We women may be pretty in pink, but you fellows are dashingly handsome in it. Makes you look "in the pink" as they say.

karol

fatwoul

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:

I can't tell if you're kidding or if it really is pink, but like others have said, there's nothing wrong with it. Personally, your hat looks kinda like the camouflage that troops wore in North Africa in the Second World War. So you could call it "WWII Desert Camo" rather than just pink. ;)

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
I can't tell if you're kidding or if it really is pink, but like others have said, there's nothing wrong with it. Personally, your hat looks kinda like the camouflage that troops wore in North Africa in the Second World War. So you could call it "WWII Desert Camo" rather than just pink. ;)

I'm just messin' around, it is pink and I love it. Not a color you find too often.
A "WW2 desert camo" hat? Hmm, has a certain ring to it. ;)

6 1/2 in. crown? Damn.

A tall hat for my tall head. :)

EricH

One of the Regulars
Love the Portis. How come there weren't any real men with 7 3/8 heads! Maybe we can get our resident hatters to squeeze some peach, pink, lavender or buttery pastels out of their suppliers. Eric (Still looking for the elusive pastels)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Portis is wonderful. You will enjoy it a lot. I still can't get that Mallory out of my head:eusa_doh:

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I almost bought a pink (fur) fedora, at the Stetson Outlet, the other day!
Cowboy conversions are a ton of fun, kind of like turning a pickup into a Cadillac! And, after seeing that portis (and a few others, here) "I gotta get me one o' those." Thanks for sharing those two treasures with us. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
tinmanzzz said:
How did you get the stiffness out of the brim

I steamed it. Took a lot and it's still a bit stiff but much better. I steamed it flat with an iron and a wet washcloth that I placed over the brim. It worked rather well. It'll be a good hat for the rain.

Bebop said:
How did you convert the cowboy to fedora? Steam and bash?

Yep, and cut down the brim. I did the conversion the same day I bought it. It actually doesn't take too long, I was surprised by that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust