Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correct crown shape

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Hi folks,

Great website. I'm a noobie and also new to Fedoras. I've been looking at the hats from the various makers trying to decide which one to possibly get. I've noticed that some hats have a teardrop crown whereas others have a center dent crown. Which shape is correct for a vintage Fedora?

Ed

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Ed.
Most all crown shapes are or have been used in the past, making the differences more about crown height, brim width, and trim changes. Almost every era you could get whatever look you wanted so I can only address what was most popular selling. 1920s was very tall crown, narrow brim, and REALLY soft felt. The most popular crown was the simple center dent, often with side pinches. The thirties was much the same but also saw shorter crowns ( think Seabiscuit) in the later decade and wider brims. '40s were a sample of all of the above with the "C" crown being most popular.
It goes on & on. The real trick is to find a hat that fits your body, face shape and style that you feel comfortable in. THe hat needs to be proportionate to you but also make you want to wear it because it fits your self image.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Thanks Art. This is all very new to me so I'm just trying to learn the basics. Hopefully I'll find some stores local to me where I can try on various hats. I've never been much of a hat person simply because I could never find one that looked good on me, but since I'm now in my mid-forties and need something to protect my head from the ever-present California sun, I figured why not get something stylish that I'll actually enjoy wearing.

Serge

New in Town
Same situation with me.

Ed, I am also in my mid 40's. I also have wanted a hat for some time (at least since I started wearing bow ties about 10 years ago) but didn't know what would look good on me, quality considerations, or even where to buy one. Thanks to the Lounge, most of my questions have been answered. I'm proud to say that my first hat is being made right now by Art.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Nope, it's not Ed. The difference is that the "C" starts at the front of the hat with the pinch, then goes to an semi circle at the back with distinctive points at the back of the pinch, the teardrop does not have the "points" for lack of a better description.. Hard to explain but easy to recognize once you see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe