Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan colored jackets

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
All-

I just received my first pair of shell cordovan shoes in the mail today :)) for my feet, :( for my pocket book.) I was a little surprised by the color. All I can think of is dried blood (a dark and muted brown with some burgundy mixed in.) I understand that this will change over time.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has/or has seen a jacket in cordovan colored leather (Aero makes one.) If so, what are you're thoughts? Is it one of those colors that's 'a bit much' for most people, or is it more subtle than that?

Paul-

Salv

One Too Many
I bought one of the Aero cordovan sale Barnstormers and IMO it's a beautiful colour. Aero offered it in cordovan and brown, and I was tempted to get the brown, but the richness of the cordovan won out. I have a pair of cordovan Bass Weejuns and they are also a beautiful colour. Subtly extravagant.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

Thanks for your input. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your jacket, would you?

I've seen the pictures Mark from Aero has posted on his web site, but they're all of brand new jackets. I still don't know how cordovan will look after it's been aged a bit (When I think of burgundy, I can't help but think of burgundy colored suits that were made in the 1970's.)

Paul

Salv

One Too Many
I haven't had the jacket long enough yet for it to have broken in properly, and it isn't showing any signs of wear. Aero have this picture which I think gives a very good impression of the colour when new:
S1334(c).JPG

Hope this helps.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An idea of what the FQHH cordovan leather can look like..

I'll let the photo speak, but I cannot rate this hide more highly...

(Sadly, I don't have any cordovan on me right now, as this is the brown Barnstormer. The Cordovan has a deep reddy-brown to it, which makes the colour almost deeper and richer. But hopefully this illustrates how well both dyed Front Quarter hides start to wear - For illustration only).

NewImage10.jpg

Gustav

New in Town
There's a used Windward on the Aero site in cordovan,seems that the lighter red tones show through at the seams.(can't seem to post a link at the moment but it's in the 'recent used Aero' section).I have a Longshoreman on order in cordovan but i'm still in two minds as usual,maybe the jacket would suit brown better.The Windward looks great in cordovan incidently.
Paddy,that looks very nice indeed although this hide looks different in every photo i've seen so far.I don't see any red in it,do i have the wrong impression of this hide in thinking that it has a strong red undertone?

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I have Aero horsehide jackets in cordovan and in antique brown ( my avatar is the brown.).

It is difficult to verbalize the difference, and your subjective response may differ from mine. Aero, I am sure, could send you a leather sample.

For what it is worth, the cordovan has more yang while the brown has more yin.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have a Cordovan halfbelt jacket from the Real McCoy's that is so rich in color that it registers to my eyes as black except under direct sunlight.
A friend of mine recently purchased a Cordovan Aero Hercules in midweight horse that has a deep purplish color, almost like the skin of an eggplant.

Barry

Practically Family
Aero Cordovan Cossack FQHH Jacket

Edit: 2-26-06, The color has rubbed off of this jacket and ruined several shirts. I am waiting to get some trousers back. It began to rub off and I wiped it down with Pristine clean and later with leather polish sold by Aero in hopes that it would clean up but it did not. The leather is nice and soft now but the jacket is completely and totally unwearable and I will no longer purchase jackets from this company as a result.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe