Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan bleed has never diminished...

zebedee

One Too Many
Anyone know a way to stop it happening? I have an Aero lhb which I'm pretty much going to give up on as it rubs off on bags, shirts and trousers. Anything I wear it with needs to go in the wash after a wear. It's a pain.

zebedee

One Too Many
Yes- they were very helpful, and emphasised that bleed is a risk (which I am aware of) but that it would calm down. Suggestions included rubbing the contact points down with a soft cloth (did it). As far as I can tell, bleed hasn't calmed down.

I am hesitant about treating it with anything, and have been told that this could worsen the problem.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Is your jacket Horsehide or Steerhide? I ask because I obtained a LHB in Cordovan CXL steerhide back in May and have only recently been able to wear it due to the warm season finally passing. Anyway, I have a car with very light gray leather seating and I wore my LHB and was concerned about rub off. I didn't worry about it and just enjoyed wearing the coat and upon arriving home I didn't notice any rub off at all. I have a 15 year old 1950's HB in black FQHH and this jacket still leaves marks on clothing and such so I wear it cautiously. Not sure if there is any difference between the processing of the two different types of hides but my steerhide is smudge free so far.

I really love my LHB and the color is truly impressive so I hope you can arrive at some solution so you can enjoy your jacket as much as I do mine.

zebedee

One Too Many
It's horsehide. It's odd- no bleed at all from any other Aeros I own (they aren't cordovan), just this one. It's very irritating, as it means that I can't wear it with anything that isn't a very dark colour- it rubs off on anything lighter than dark blue or black... It also seems to bleed as much now as when I first got it. Weird, eh?

That is weird! My Cordo BL never bled at all and I've worn in in the rain, snow shoveling, sweat my butt off in it...
Out of curiousiy...what type of liner?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have the same issue with my board racer, the inside panels leave a faint red tone on light tops. I wiped mine down with a leather protector several times to build up a coating over them, which certainly reduced the amount of bleed but didn't reduce it. In the end, I just stopped wearing light tops with it.

Peacoat

Bartender
This problem is periodically discussed on the board. At first the idea that Aero's jackets would transfer the dye was met with a healthy dose of skepicism. As more posters reported the problem, the initial posters were given more credibility. The problem seems to be mostly with the cordovan HH. I have a cordovan highwayman in steer that I haven't had any problems with. I thought if I did have a bleeding problem, I would rub the jacket down with a damp cloth to see if that would do any good. I certainly wasn't going to put any conditioner on it. Not knowing why certain leathers bleed makes it difficult to find a solution. Sorta like a physician trying to treat symptoms without having a diagnosis. I imagine by now Aero has a pretty good idea of why some skins bleed and others don't. It probably is in the tanning/dyeing process, but until we have a diagnosis it is difficult to treat the problem.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am told that any CXL HH can bleed color. My brown GQHH bled around the collar onto a white shirt right after I got it. As @Sloan1874 said, he "just stopped wearing light tops with it" which is what I did. :rolleyes: @Peacoat said that if he did have a bleeding problem, he would "rub the jacket down with a damp cloth to see if that would do any good" which is also what I did years ago with mine that seemed to eliminate most if not all of the problem. I guess brilliant minds think alike. :D

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the same issue with my board racer, the inside panels leave a faint red tone on light tops. I wiped mine down with a leather protector several times to build up a coating over them, which certainly reduced the amount of bleed but didn't reduce it. In the end, I just stopped wearing light tops with it.

I'm pretty sure we got our respective Tumbled HH jackets around the same time but mine hasn't really experienced any bleeding.....ok, If I rub it with a lot of force I'll get some colour transfer but I can't say I've noticed any "accidental bleeding" by just wearing it.

Although I don't wear a lot of collared shirts with mine...its usually a T-shirt...is it around the collar you get the effect?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the BR has internal facing panels running down the front and the kidney panel, so if I'm wearing pale stuff, it catches on the waist band and around the collar and chest. Tbh, I just make sure I stick a dark t-shirt or top under it and it's not a problem.

zebedee

One Too Many
It's mainly because there is a warning on the label- I've never had any bother with Aero jackets before in this respect and I do not necessarily consider the bleed a flaw, just an irritation. It washes out of everything and is probably something like indigo dye bleeding- it might eventually stop but my use of the jacket will be limited if it continues. As I have other Aeros I can simply wear them instead, but it's a pity to have a 650 quid jacket that requires anything you wear it with to get washed after a day. Odd as it sounds, I actually think about wearing the cordovan LHB, whereas with black and brown Aeros, I'll chuck them on over anything.

The only bleed I ever expierenced was with my black FQHH CR. It bled to the red drill lining but not my clothes. That would really annoy me too. There has to be some way to stop the bleeding.
I never wear light colored shirts or pants tho so maybe I never noticed. If it's not blue, black, brown or grey I've no use for it.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I don't get how could you learn to live with it. For me it would be a very big deal.

Same with me. I'd be PO'd if my expensive leather jacket bled on my clothing or car seats. Luckily, it's never happened to me but I don't own any cordovan FQHH.

zebedee

One Too Many
I don't recommend cordovan to people because of this issue- it seems a gamble whether you get 'territory marking' cordovan or not. I am hoping that with enough wear it'll stop, but it's hard accruing the wear unless I want to wear dark colours every time I put the thing on. What would either seal the leather or quickly take off excess dye?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld