Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
In regards to the belted back on ebay, I agree. Looks like a sixties made for traditionalists, fox hunters or what have you.

Question though. Why did the seller call it a buckle back? I used to know a mexian guy in LA, part of the rockabilly latino fifties scene. He was a dealer and had a shop in a record store. Cool guy. Sweet wardrobe.

He spoke good english, but like many non native speakers, he had occasional blips. He used to always call belted back suits, buckle back. I knew he also liked buckle or belted back levis from the thirties, and buckle back slacks. I. I assumed this was unique to him and it was just a mistake of language that became a habit for him.

Am I mistaken? Is this a common phrase? I have never seen one with a buckle?

While we are at it, he used to call those short sleeve knit shirts cable knits. He was not alone. I have heard that phrase from others. But I think cable knit is not about the knit as much as it is about a big cable knit into the fabric in a recurring pattern every two inches or so.

Is this correct?

slicedbread

A-List Customer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=150112639293&rd=1&rd=1

april14118.jpg

I'm not sure what to think of this...The jacket itself looks to be styled very closely to a sb peaked lapel jacket from the 40's...The pants have wide cuffs. However, the seller called the fabric rayon and the pants are flat fronted. I do have a few 30-40's suits that were flat fronted and cuffed, but what's the general consensus on the era this suit is? I also messaged the seller and she said she's not quite sure that it's rayon...

compare to:

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

this one has patch pockets, but is otherwise very similar...

slicedbread

A-List Customer
thank you very much mr baron and jovan...i figured as much, but was still a little bit sketchy because i'm pretty new to vintage clothes and cant very reliably I.D. a suit by sight...What materials were used back then? I assume only wool...silk? the texture looks very interesting...

completely off topic, i just finished reading Heart of Darkness and I've been itching to ask if that's where ur name is from, BK

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Jovan said:
That definitely doesn't look like rayon. I really like the style. The creme buttons and buttonholes are a great touch, and definitely identify it as '30s.

You mean they didn't have cream buttons or thread after the 1930s?

Alan

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Rayon was used in spades. Very prevalent in 30s suit fabrics.

My nom de plume is a stupendously interesting, dark and intriguing character from Graham Greene's "The Third Man". And the film of the book (or the book was of the film, as it were) by Carol reed featuring joseph Cotten

bk

I see I see...Interesting on both fronts. I had no idea that rayon was used in the 30's for suitings...What about the 40's and 50's? Was the rayon back then not considered cheap??

Jovan

Suspended
Rayon is perfectly fine. It's man-made,* but not synthetic. If I'm correct, it has a lot of silk-like properties. That's why it's used for suit linings on good suits rather than acetate -- it feels great, but wears better than satin silk.

*Edit: Forgot to say, man-made from wood pulp.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Rayon is perfectly fine. It's man-made,* but not synthetic. If I'm correct, it has a lot of silk-like properties. That's why it's used for suit linings on good suits rather than acetate -- it feels great, but wears better than satin silk.

*Edit: Forgot to say, man-made from wood pulp.

True. Bemberg rayon was the 'lining of choice' for mid-range clothing in the 1930s.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe