Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concealing eyebrows...

Jovan

Suspended
Maybe this doesn't relate to beauty makeup, but is there anything you'd recommend for concealing eyebrows completely? Foundation alone doesn't seem to do it, after using moustache wax to flatten them down. I need to do it for special alien makeup come this Hallowe'en. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I think there is a special product for that called sealing wax. I remember seeing it in a makeup book. After you apply the wax, then you put makeup concealer over the eyebrow, then foundation. I'll look around the net to see where you can buy eyebrow sealing wax.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What you need to look into is some stage make-up. They do this all the time. I'm just not sure where it is sold, but it's a start, right?!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
According to Kevin Aucoin's "Making Faces", you use brow wax followed by sealer, both available at theatrical supply stores. Then you cover the brow with foundation and powder before drawing on the brows.

i've tried this several times and it has never worked for me.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
spirit gum must not have quite the 'stick factor'...or does it...I'm getting bad mental pictures when my daughter got gum in her hair...:eek:
Also, there are concealers out there that work wonders..but you get what you pay for and I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend for just one night of dressing up!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
spirit gum must not have quite the 'stick factor'...or does it...I'm getting bad mental pictures when my daughter got gum in her hair...:eek:
Also, there are concealers out there that work wonders..but you get what you pay for and I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend for just one night of dressing up!

Spirit gum is liquid and is not sticky like chewing gum. It is a theatrical adhesive that dries. It is sometimes used by burlesque performers for applying pasties. In the case of eyebrows, wax is used to hold down the brows and the spirit gum is used for creating a smooth surface over that. A regular concealer, no matter how high quality, will not work because it won't hold down the brow hairs in a way that keeps them from being visible.

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
For quick application and quick removal, I used to use theatrical prosthesis.

I worked a haunted house and we had more than one character that required false or removed eyebrows. We would use spirt gum to attach a piece of smooth, rubber "false skin" (thus keeping the adhesive away from the eyebrow itself. Then you just use makeup to cover over the lines between the edge of the covering and the skin - just like you would if you were putting a bald cap on someone.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Look for something called scar or nose putty-- it'll be in with theatrical makeup. Spackle it over your brows to form a smooth base, a little powder, then conceal, foundation, and then whatever special makeup you plan on using. That usually works for me!

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
I'm going into theater after graduation, and I've found that working with spirit gum can be a pain. :eek: When we need to cover eyebrows, we use a bit of soap and go with the grain of the hair, then cover. Either that, or use beeswax. Both methods work well. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld