Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
PS. Some of us don't wear vintage all the time...and its okay not to.

Exactly. :)
I don't do vintage clothes or vintage hair at all, my vintage interests lie elsewhere; music, books, movies, etc...
Sometimes I do dress up for fun for a costume party or something, and I do buy hats now and then at my local Salvation Army op shops ( I love hats! :D )that's about it.
But I greatly appreciate vintage on others, particulary on all the lovely ladies and gentelmen on this forum. :eusa_clap

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Feraud said:
And in NYC everything was "sexy". Sexy female zombies, sexy nurses, etc. etc.
What is the deal with that? Is creativity dead in this city?

If there's one thing I hate, it's sexy halloween costumes. What exactly is halloweeny about a pvc nurse costume? The halloween scene in 'Mean Girls' really makes me laugh.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ada Veen said:
If there's one thing I hate, it's sexy halloween costumes. What exactly is halloweeny about a pvc nurse costume? The halloween scene in 'Mean Girls' really makes me laugh.

Another who's sick of the "sexy (fill in the blank)" costume cliche -- usually the results are anything but. I went to the deliberately opposite extreme this year, and went to work in my flannel pajamas, scuffed up carpet slippers, a ratty corduroy bathrobe, my hair up in pincurls covered with a hairnet, cold cream on my face, and a sign around my neck: LEAVE ME ALONE -- I HAVENT HAD MY TEA YET. Now *that* is a scary Halloween look.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The last one

PADDY said:
Nice one Lizzie!! ;)

Comments I get are:

You been for an interview?
You going to a funeral?
Someone getting married?
Something special happening?
You moonlighting as a tailor's dummy?
What's going on?

And 'sometimes,' ..."Don't double breasted suits just look so much more classier, shame you don't see many these days."
Makes all the others OK!

ShortClara

One Too Many
It all comes down to wearing what makes you happy whenever you can. Isn't that the point? Dress to please yourself, because you can't please everyone else.

Big_Momma_Black

New in Town
Rosie said:
Today my mom dragged me to church with her. I felt so special because the entire time going there people on the street were telling me how nice I looked. After church (since I haven't been in a LONG time, :eek:) a lot of the ladies asked where I got my clothes, how well it fit, how nice it was to see a young lady dressed so nicely.

Oh, I wore a two piece dress. The top was white with polka dots and kind of flared out around the hip area, the skirt was black, calf length and straight. I wore black wedgies, my hair in rolls with a snood and a red rose in my hair and I had on black gloves and a black vintage bag.

:eek:fftopic: Hello. I am new to this forum and new to vintage dressing (i.e.-I haven't a single piece of vintage or retro clothing). I am a large girl, about a size 28, and I was wondering where you got your clothes. Do you make them yourself? Do you fine that it is cheaper to make them yourself if you do? I love all of the clothing I have seen snooping aroung the threads in this forum but I don't sew (yet) and I would like to get some advice on how I can get started. Any info you can offer would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Hello Big Momma, welcome to the lounge.

Well, I think if you don't take the average size like me (I am 6'' tall), the best thing to do is to sew your own cloths (or have it sewn by a seamstress).
So you can sew exactly what you want in your size.

I sew two pair of slacks, long enough for me. And I had two jackets and skirts sewn by a professional seamstress.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Big_Momma_Black said:
:eek:fftopic: Hello. I am new to this forum and new to vintage dressing (i.e.-I haven't a single piece of vintage or retro clothing). I am a large girl, about a size 28, and I was wondering where you got your clothes. Do you make them yourself? Do you fine that it is cheaper to make them yourself if you do? I love all of the clothing I have seen snooping aroung the threads in this forum but I don't sew (yet) and I would like to get some advice on how I can get started. Any info you can offer would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi Big Mama Black (love that name by the way)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13187&highlight=size

This is a thread on plus size vintage clothing. Im a size 18, so I do know how hard it can be to find larger vintage pieces. Most ladies here of all sizes make a lot of their stuff. Also, do a search for Lane Bryant here and youll find a ton of visual aids.

Good luck and welcome!

LD

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Ladies who dress vintage and what others may say.....

I have a strange question for you ladies - in that - do you worry what others may think of how you dress/look?

The reason I ask is - I love a Vintage/Retro look. Whether it be red lippy or big 60's hair and make up. My problem is, I tend to worry what others think of me. These might be work colleagues, who are not my friends, and who I wouldnt want to associate with out of work - but I still worry about their comments - even though my closest friends and family dont care how I dress/look!

Just wondering if you ladies had some self esteem tips for me!

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
All you need to do is incorporate some modern looks in with your vintage style, and as you get more comfortable with your look, gradually add more vintage to your look. For example, I'll wear my mini skirt and Uggs for clothes, but I'll tease my bangs and make a large pincurl (think Gwen Stefani) in my hair. Red lipstick to top it off and I swear I get more compliments than intimidating stares. If you need help with hair and make up tips, let me know.

And most of all keep your head up and walk with confidence. No one will be able to see your beautiful make up if you're staring at your feet. :)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RitaHayworth said:
I have a strange question for you ladies - in that - do you worry what others may think of how you dress/look?

The reason I ask is - I love a Vintage/Retro look. Whether it be red lippy or big 60's hair and make up. My problem is, I tend to worry what others think of me. These might be work colleagues, who are not my friends, and who I wouldnt want to associate with out of work - but I still worry about their comments - even though my closest friends and family dont care how I dress/look!

Just wondering if you ladies had some self esteem tips for me!

I typically mix vintage and modern. You'd be surprised how many old clothes are reproduced by designers each year. Most people don't notice, unless I leave skirt lengths below the knee.

This way, I might seem "unusual" but am usually professionally dressed at work, so no one says anything. It's specifically for this reason that most of my collection is based around suits instead of dresses, unlike many of the ladies here.

Vintage Betty

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Last night I went to a Halloween party before going onto a 50s themed club night. When I was in the bathroom a girl asked me what I was dressed up as so I replied that I wasn't dressed up and that this is how I normally dress! She looked sheepish and apologised. A guy I met also said, "Don't take offence to this but my mum has a similar dress to yours (a 1950s floral off the shoulder number) but you wear it so much better" lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
If you're nervous about dressing vintage, then start slow. Incorporate vintage accessories or modern reproductions into your wardrobe. Trust me, people will only have nice things to say! It takes a lot of cajones to dress differently from the norm and if you do it and are confident about it, people will respect that. Don't be scared, you owe it to yourself to dress the way you want to!

lyburnum

Practically Family
Today while I was in a charity shop a woman commented on my earrings, and recognised me as being into 40s/50s fashions. So she said she'd put aside some vintage earrings for me when she finds them (she couldn't find them while I was there) and save them for next time I come in, as she thought I'd like them. I thought that was really sweet!

People have asked if they can take photos of me before when I've been in London, and everyone in my church really likes the way I dress, especially the dresses I make and my hair do's. I get asked a lot about how I got into it.

Occasionally I get a comment about looking like a cleaning lady when I'm wearing my head scarf. Once I got told by a bunch of drunk chavs that 'She looks like she belongs in a Wendy House'. I don't get negative comments much though. I'd rather look like a doll than a slob any day though :rolleyes:

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
lyburnum said:
Today while I was in a charity shop a woman commented on my earrings, and recognised me as being into 40s/50s fashions. So she said she'd put aside some vintage earrings for me when she finds them (she couldn't find them while I was there) and save them for next time I come in, as she thought I'd like them. I thought that was really sweet!

People are wonderful sometimes aren't they? The owner of a local antique co-operative I frequent took notice of my style and about the fourth time I came in when she was there she said something about my look. We got to talking and the next thing I knew she was offering to send anyone that came in looking to sell vintage clothes in my direction!

Not only is the vintage look a good conversation starter, the look is an approachable one as well. People are generally much friendlier to me now then they were when my style had a darker leaning.

Today I was introduced to professor I had never met or seen before and she said she was so glad to finally meet me as she had noticed me around campus and throughly appreciated my look. The most wonderful thing she said was not to change as the look has so much class and sophistication...something the world needs a bit more of.
Just a tid bit of advice I thought I'd pass on to you ladies.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
"Occasionally I get a comment about looking like a cleaning lady when I'm wearing my head scarf" - I usually get that I look like a 'refugee' or 'an old lithuanian woman'!

"Today I was introduced to professor I had never met or seen before and she said she was so glad to finally meet me as she had noticed me around campus and throughly appreciated my look." - What do you study Clara? Bet it's something artistic :)

straight brim - I really like the tie you (if it is you!) are wearing in your avatar.

fernande

Vendor
I think sometimes is also where you are located- when I was growing up in the northern midwest -13 years ago, my Bettie Page haircut and seamed stockings elicited many stares and rude comments- but I am thankful I had supportive parents who let me look like I wanted- and just kind of shrugged when I was tottering around in 7 inc fetish heels on my way to the 10th grade.

now I live in New York where anything goes- really- Wearing head to toe vintage here usually elicits compliments!-not disdain! I think in the city people admire those with a sense of style- (especially in such a huge intimidating place, where many feel "lost in the crowd")

My husband and I live outside the city (though we commute in to work every day) and its funny because we'll come home and decide to go to a movie in a big suburban mall- and that is when then his "young elvis" look and my 30's deco look gets weird stares. To go from compliments to confused staring in one day is really interesting!!
but it just shows you that not all people are ready for your fabulousness!

I agree with Clara and others- just be yourself, if you're not sure who that is
Experiment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe