Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Black Dahlia and Miss 1929, any Marilyn is a good Marilyn!

Way to show them some style, Annie, was it set?

A week after I reddened my hair, one of the more senior members of the staff came over and said "You're going the Lucille Ball route huh? It's cute." I said, that yes my hair was redder, and he pointed out that my shirt was also pretty retro (and it was, a VI 40's-vibe crepe Hawaiian shirt.) I think I can totally go with Lucy for a while!

D

Deleted member 12480

haha cool!

yeah it was set but it wasn't a big deal - just tiny un imposing victory rolls - suitable for school :)

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
i had a girl in the year above me come tap me on the shoulder and announcing 'your hair is gorgeous!' and then walking off!

Hehehe I had that happen to me at a final review session last quarter...someone (from behind me) suddenly set a note on my desk...

It read "I love your hair. You have perfect curls!"

I looked up to see a girl smiling at me as she was walking out, and so I smiled back. It totally made my day!

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
The first time I wore victory roles with red lipstick a had a girl say "You look like an old movie star... like.. Scarlet O'Hara!" haha not entirely accurate but cute.
I get compliments on my "old Hollywood" hairstyles pretty often.
My English teacher just loves the way I dress, one day a few months into the semester I was handing something in and he says "You have a lot of fun getting ready in the morning don't you? Don't ever stop"
and one day I did a Rosie inspired 'do and i left it all really curly on top and he commented on my "Lucille Ball" style haha.
I get Betty Boop a lot from the librarians and Bettie Page from the friends of mine who actually know who she is.
haha and once I had to buy a wig on very short notice and the only place in town that carried any wigs at all was called "Cabin of Love" needless to say, no minors allowed haha. The first thing the woman working there said was "WOW! You look like you just stepped right out of the pin up era!"

Generally I find it's older people that appreciate my look.

Lottie

Familiar Face
The first time I wore victory rolls (to school), I got a lot of "Mickey Mouse" comments :D
On the other hand, once, when I wore my captain dress to school and was all dolled up because I was about to visit my then-boyfriend in Hamburg, I arrived VERY late to my politics class (and it was pretty obvious what took me so long :D). When I entered the room, my teacher said nothing about me being late but just smiled brightly and said "Lottie, you just made my day!".

I also noticed that the "you look like.." comments are pretty much depending on my hair colour- when I had black hair, I got the Dita von Teese and sometimes Bettie page, with blonde hair Marilyn and now that I'm a redhead, I got a "Christina Aguilera!" (she's wearing a red wig in her candy man video, apparently) and some joans (although my red is quite different :D). I don't resemble any of these women, but whatever :D

MissHannah

One Too Many
Kate O Potato said:
Yes, it is! The gentleman barber is called Mr Ducktail, and his the name might suggest, it's a really fun salon. I'm going to try Nina's Hair Parlour next, not because I was dissatisfied with Miss Betty, just because I've heard so many good things about Nina's...

Nina is an absolute doll. She and I have become friends since she started cutting my hair and we started a vintage lifestyle magazine together last year called Era http://www.facebook.com/pages/Era-Magazine-Fan-Page/275290501754 :eek:fftopic: But she is an absolute whizz at hairdressing and always understands exactly what you want. She also always has her chihuahua Ramon in the salon! The other hairdresser there, Leila, is also excellent so whoever you go with you get a great cut and set.

I've heard great things about Miss Betty too - especially with regard to colouring. If I ever go blonde I will go to Miss Betty!

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I work on a small college campus...one of the members of the English faculty finds my fashion choices fascinating. A few days ago he commented on my dress: "A shirtwaist dress! Where do you find these things?"

I told him it was new and I got it at Macy's, which was true.

"You'd never know," he said. I took it as a compliment.

Antje

One Too Many
It is so nice to read what comments everyone is getting.

I was at an Elvis Presley tribute this weekend and I got a lot of sweet comments, like "you are just like a real fifties lady" and "your a sweet little rock'n roll girl".
It was very flattering, and It really made my evening

D

Deleted member 12480

i got 'betty' shouted at me as i walked past some england-shirt wearing louts earlier.

Xx

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've noticed an interesting trend in the comments I get. When I wear 50s, I get compared to stars. When I wear 30s, I just get compliments. In fact, yesterday, I was all over the county running errands and every place I stopped, at least one person told me that either my outfit or hair was cute. The one thing that thrilled me was when I went to my local posh independent fabric shop, every saleslady came up to me to ask about my outfit.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I was out at an indie night in Manchester on Friday, which is usually frequented by far-too-cool-to-compliment types, and was surprised that quite a few ladies came up to me in my Vivien of Holloway swing dress and said "Oh I LOVE your dress!"
I'm pretty sure that crinolines have the power to turn any sneering scenester type into mush :)

Shirin

A-List Customer
Black Dahlia said:
I can’t seem to fit in contemporary clothes (rarely).
X
Black Dahlia

Ha, me too! I swear the model used these days isn't a dress form, it's a box! Seriously, most of the pants that I try on gape at the sides or back and forget about sitting down, I'd be showing off my panties.:eusa_doh:

And shirts don't give me break either, though usually more forgiving. The usual problem for me is either shoulders are way too wide, or the shirts not long enough, or I can't get my sausage arms through the arm hole. I skip a lot of cotton and woven shirts only because even though the rest of the sirt might be my size, I can't get my arm all the way through the arm hole cuz it gets stuck at the upper arm.

I may be a little fat, but not that fat. It makes me despise shopping for clothes though.:(

Shirin

A-List Customer
A few weeks ago I wore my "just finished that day" Butterick 6582 dress. I had to go out for groceries so just did the whole nine yards. Wore the dress, did the make up and the hair with flowers. I was standing in line to check out and an older gentleman about 60-65 was in the other line next to me looked at me and flashed a smile, of course I smile back. He puts his things on the counter and comes back out of his line to look again. This time with a bigger smile. He didn't say anything but then a third time glanced back as he was going out the door. :eek: The check out lady said something like, "you look like an old movie star" I don't dress vintage too often but when I have it's only been good remarks.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I wore the same dress as in my avatar pic to work (maybe not the best idea, I'm an I T nerd in a hospital in a rather conservative area) with a cardigan a headband with a big black rose and 1930s swing shoes, and one of the nurses just looked at me and finally asked me about it. she said at first she thought I was confused on which day Halloween is supposed to be (this was about 3 months ago) then noticed the shoes and asked about dancing. I explained that I do dance and she said that she's always wanted to do that but her boyfriend (45 minutes away) wasn't likely to come to classes. I told her she should come anyway. she has yet to come but I'll still work on her.

I've worn the other dresses to work too and the few comments I got were really nice, but I think that most people were wondering about my sanity, and if they should just drag me off to the behavioral health unit and get it over with lol

Shirin how about some pics? I'd love to see how your dress turned out. I have that pattern, it's somewhere on my to do list, have pink satin for the one with the full skirt version and black shantung for the one like in the pic... bows on both of course

Shirin

A-List Customer
HepKitty said:
Shirin how about some pics? I'd love to see how your dress turned out. I have that pattern, it's somewhere on my to do list, have pink satin for the one with the full skirt version and black shantung for the one like in the pic... bows on both of course

I'll get some pics this week. I had two but they got corrupt when i tried to transfer them from camera to computer. ~sigh~

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I've tried out doing my eyes a little differently (peachy eyeshadow and brown eyeliner) and my mister said Friday that he really liked my makeup. Yesterday, when I got home from work, I was standing in the kitchen wearing just a short sleeved white blouse and high waisted, wide legged jeans with my hair done in victory rolls, he came over and said I looked "right purdy". :D

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I dress in vintage all the time and remarks I get are usually all positive.
The ones I take great enjoyment out of the most are from teens trying to make fun- Saying something like ‘ It’s not the 1940’s you know’ and all I think to myself is at least you recognised I dress in 1940’s clothes and that I must look like a 1940’s girl, so really I take it as a compliment! (Always look on the bright side, I say!);)

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I love receiving compliments so much that more recently I've been making the effort to pay compliments to other people. This morning, there was a lady in the lift at the university who had the most pristine victory roll. Unused to any sort of vintage hairdo in Sheffield, I immediately got very excited over it, but she didn't seem that flattered. Bah :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld