Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Little lady

Familiar Face
I think they may have been more the long sweater with waist belt and tights type people though, that might be fashionable, so I am not sure they where hypocritical to send me the glances of disapproval. Whatever glances, I sure do prefer headscarfs to tights.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I think they may have been more the long sweater with waist belt and tights type people though, that might be fashionable, so I am not sure they where hypocritical to send me the glances of disapproval. Whatever glances, I sure do prefer headscarfs to tights.

I wear that kind of outfit a lot, and I never give people dirty looks. It might not be hypocritical, but its surely rude!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I get that too, tattoos and all! I think it's the pompadour and eyeliner :rolleyes:

He he, it tickles me too, that when we think we're dressed down, we're still screaming 'vintage' to other people!

Case in point, today a few people at work were complementary about my look, telling me how great my fifties outfit was, (i was working in an antiques centre and it was heaving with folk), i had purposely just chucked on jumper and trousers as i feel a bit bleurgh today, but then when i thought about it, i guess the pincurls, lippie, eyeliner etc, still say fifties to people and i guess even the fact i was going for frumpy, hausfrau today i probably look more dolled up than most of the people knocking about! I just don't notice it i guess.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was cleaning my bathroom over the weekend, and was wearing the rattiest housedress I own -- among other things, it's got bleach spots all over it, one of the seams is splitting, and the hem is held up with masking tape. I went down to the fish and chips wagon at the end of my street to get some lunch without bothering to change, and someone behind me in line said "Well, it's so nice to see someone out in their Sunday best."

I don't think they were trying to be funny, either.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I received one of the best comments I've ever hear, on Sunday. While I was dressed in a 40's blouse and jumper/pinafore, I had no makeup beside lipstick and my hair in curlers with a scarf tied over it. I had to go the beauty supply warehouse and the girls there know me. The manage said "you look like a doll. If I took you home, my girls would love you! You're so cute". The girls there always ask me about my clothes or how I do my hair every time I go in.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Quite a few people made nice comments about my hair today, which was lovely, but then a (very cute, but waaay too young) guy stopped me in the street and said, 'Hey, I love your hair! Want to go paintballing?'
That was quite the most random comment I have ever had!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
He he, it tickles me too, that when we think we're dressed down, we're still screaming 'vintage' to other people!

Case in point, today a few people at work were complementary about my look, telling me how great my fifties outfit was, (i was working in an antiques centre and it was heaving with folk), i had purposely just chucked on jumper and trousers as i feel a bit bleurgh today, but then when i thought about it, i guess the pincurls, lippie, eyeliner etc, still say fifties to people and i guess even the fact i was going for frumpy, hausfrau today i probably look more dolled up than most of the people knocking about! I just don't notice it i guess.

When I was rooting around in a junk warehouse last week (in my usual schtick plus headscarf) several people asked me the price of things. I said, 'I actaully don't work here, I just look like I should'!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Quite a few people made nice comments about my hair today, which was lovely, but then a (very cute, but waaay too young) guy stopped me in the street and said, 'Hey, I love your hair! Want to go paintballing?'
That was quite the most random comment I have ever had!

Random but complementary! (I bet you looked delicious)! Maybe that's where i have been going wrong with the opposite sex, perhaps i should be asking guys to put on a boiler suit and run round some woods shoootin' stuff with me!

Your other comment about people asking if you worked in the junk shop made me laugh, as i do get that occassionally if i pop in and see friends who work in other shops. It's the price to pay when you step out looking like a relic from a bygone era i guess. Although i guess dressing vintage standing in a shop full of old stuff people just naturally assume it's your domain.

Kishtu

Practically Family
I was going through my pre-Small wadrobe the other day trying to find something appropriate for a christening and it reminded me of this thread...

I have (had - it looks somewhat silly on me now) a black, 50s repro wool crepe dress with red silk taffeta lining, high round neck, vast circle skirts, long fitted sleeves. It was bought for my late fiance's funeral and I did the full look - red lips, winged eyeliner, seamed stockings, gloves, veiled hat, sky-scraper stilettoes...
So many people came up to me that day and said I looked like a film star and how proud he would have been of me.

I still smile looking at that dress, even though I'm about to do awful things to it. (Skirt is going to be totally re-cut - having boobs like the Graf von Hindenburg due to Small nourishment does not sit well with skirts of spectacular volume.. .)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So today I wore a circle skirt, red Mary Janes, and a modern light blue top. I had a red polka dot blazer, white knee socks, and a polka dot pin. Hair in victory rolls, red bead jewerly, red lipstick, and my nails done in red with a vintage manicure (moons left natural- thanks to the thread that gave me the gumption!). Reading that, it sounds a bit messy, but basically a red, white, and baby blue theme.

I had two nice comments. One woman said "you look like you walked right out of 1942! Wonderful!" I had a student tell me "You look so beautiful today." :D

Since I have a horrific cold and barely am making it through today, they just made me feel wonderful.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That sounds like a lovely outfit Sheeplady!

Well today i was wearing a great navy and black wool, small floral patterned late fifties wiggle style dress, with ballet pumps, navy gloves and my favorite black wool and astrakhan coat. I had work then was supposed to be going on a blind date for coffee in my lunch hour. The douchebag ('scuse my french), stood me up sadly, but the lady in the cafe was very sweet and said my outfit was lovely and admired my gloves, frankly i wanted to cry a little bit as she was so sweet!! Not meaning to sound like a sap or anything! I haven't spoken to any friends this evening, but i thought i would share my tale of woe with you ladies as i know you will understand and are always so sweet and supportive. It was my first date for nearly two years. Back to the drawing board!

Drappa

One Too Many
Oh, Miss Sofia, so sorry to hear that! I know of at least two ladies who have been in the same predicament in the last week, being stood up by dates. At least you know right off the bat that the person wasn't worth it, but I understand it is depressing regardless. It is his loss! Your outfit sounds lovely, and he didn't deserve to see it.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thanks so much Drappa, there must be something in the air, or the ley lines or something then, if i'm the third one this week! That's what i'm going to tell myself anyway! I mean i'm not devastated, you're right it's just a bit depressing and the self-esteem has taken a bit of a battering today. It's an excuse to eat more cake and buy some lippstick tomorrow to cheer myself up!

Drappa

One Too Many
Ooh, cake and lipstick treats, my favourite kind! What a tw*t the man is, but as they say, you have to kiss a lot of frogs and all that.

rue

That sounds like a lovely outfit Sheeplady!

Well today i was wearing a great navy and black wool, small floral patterned late fifties wiggle style dress, with ballet pumps, navy gloves and my favorite black wool and astrakhan coat. I had work then was supposed to be going on a blind date for coffee in my lunch hour. The douchebag ('scuse my french), stood me up sadly, but the lady in the cafe was very sweet and said my outfit was lovely and admired my gloves, frankly i wanted to cry a little bit as she was so sweet!! Not meaning to sound like a sap or anything! I haven't spoken to any friends this evening, but i thought i would share my tale of woe with you ladies as i know you will understand and are always so sweet and supportive. It was my first date for nearly two years. Back to the drawing board!

Douchebag sounds like a nicer word than what I would have called him! I'm so sorry Miss Sofia :(

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Sounds like you are much better off without someone like that Miss Sofia, he wouldn't appreciate you!

Off topic!! That reminds me of a friend of mine who was looking for Mr Right. She tried all the usual things and then a friend set her up on a blind date. So she speaks to the guy and he said he was going to take her to lunch. Guess where he took her?

Sainsbury's cafe.

Needless to say, there wasn't a second date with Mr Classy!

Drappa

One Too Many
Hahahaha, that is priceless! I once went on a date with a guy who said he was going to cook me a meal at his place. He "cooked" a jacket/baked potato in the microwave and served it with baked beans. Made me feel so special.
Sounds like you are much better off without someone like that Miss Sofia, he wouldn't appreciate you!

Off topic!! That reminds me of a friend of mine who was looking for Mr Right. She tried all the usual things and then a friend set her up on a blind date. So she speaks to the guy and he said he was going to take her to lunch. Guess where he took her?

Sainsbury's cafe.

Needless to say, there wasn't a second date with Mr Classy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld