Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Marla

A-List Customer
BTW, what's with that weird comment about looking like Anne Frank? Not only does it sound really insensitive, but what point were they trying to make there? The things that come out of people's heads sometimes defies any logical explanation.

I was disturbed by the flippant way she said it. She even punctuated her statement with a giggle. But I don't think she was trying to be insensitive. Anne Frank is probably the first female that came to her mind when trying to think of someone from the Golden Era to compare me to.

I remember this year on St Patrick’s Day, my friend and I were looking at magazines in a bookstore. I happened to look up and saw a guy that had the “vintage look”. More of a 1920s feel. I was so intrigued by him that I couldn’t help myself from staring at him. Plus, he was kind of cute and I really loved the shoes he was wearing. lol

You didn't happen to be at the Barnes & Noble in Huntington Beach, were you? Because I think I might have seen that guy there before.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I was at the Barnes and Noble in Glendale. It would be kind of funny if it was the same guy though. :) Although it was St Patrick's Day, you don't suppose he was an Irish fairy do you? ;)

I am so sorry. I had to laugh at the comment about being time travelers. lol Ahhhh....I wish I could time travel. Hmmm...That makes for an interesting question.

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
When wearing my Church's spectator shoes, one of my English mates had to say when are you off to play golf.... Another was about to say something but I cut him off at the pass...

Effingham

A-List Customer
BTW, what's with that weird comment about looking like Anne Frank? Not only does it sound really insensitive, but what point were they trying to make there? The things that come out of people's heads sometimes defies any logical explanation.

My guess is that they don't watch classic movies or TV, and the only "historical photo" they're familiar with is the iconic Ann Frank portrait photo. It's their only point of reference.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Brilliant!

Not quite so good but a friend of mine was explaining to someone in my office that her nephew (who's an actor) likes to wear cravats, smoking jackets, and he also has a beautiful kimono as a dressing gown. The other person asked (not unkindly) whether he was gay or at least a bit camp? My friend said (in all seriousness) , no he just wants to be like Noel Coward. I said - Er... You know he was gay right?

She was shocked at this revelation :)

My grandmother didn't believe Liberace was gay.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Regardless of the fact that Liberace was gay, it sure took a ton of guts (and strength) to wear some of those outfits! I saw some of his outfits in a museum one time and boy those things sure looked really heavy. He also sure loved bling! :D

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
My grandmother definitely knew he was, as she would said "light in his loafers". From what I can recollect from my kid years, she and my grandfather knew it, but didn't really care that much. They just enjoyed the sheer exuberance of it all. Maybe, she wanted his clothes and decor :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
'Light in his loafers' - that's a belting turn of phrase! Love it! My nana used to say he was 'a wee bit lavender'! I think they knew, but it wasn't really alluded too much. A bit like my great-uncle who was a 'confirmed bachelor'!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Just so I don't get a slap on the wrist for straying off topic: wearing a vintage R&K Originals dress, bakelite bangle, delicious red T-strap shoes and riding my vintage bicycle (with a 1937 bell, I just have to boast about because I'm crazy about it!:) ), a man paced me in his car today and yelled out the window that it was nice to see "a lady looking like a lady; very feminine."

But what I *really* wanted to add is that I love books on the Golden Age of Hollywood and have stumbled across a couple that deal with the lavender ladies and gents of that era: "The Open Secret - Gay Hollywood 1928-1998" by David Ehrenstein and "The Girls - Sappho Goes to Hollywood" by Diana McLellan. Would the Bartenders get in a dither if a Lavender Hollywood thread was born of this discussion? :eek:

djd

Practically Family
I think it'd be an interesting subject but there's a lot of 'political' misinformation out there. Flynn gay, Cary Grant gay... Not a shred of evidence for either ascertain. I would have no problem if it were true but I really loathe the twisting of facts. Particularly when it concerns dead people who can't answer back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe