Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Bars

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I finally found a vintage collar bar. The funny thing is, I've had this for years. I found it after my grandma died while cleaning up my grandpa's rock and jewelry shop and kept it, lost it amongst other things, then found it last month while on holiday. I doubt grandpa ever used it, he probably got it for the silver. It says "Sterling", "Swank", and a patent number around the centre.

DSC02993.jpg

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Here are some of the collar pins I have gotten over the years - I prefer the actual pins that either pierce the collar, or are used with the pre-made eyelets. The top 2 are 14K, and the others are gold filled.
IMG_2253.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Myself, I can't bear to pierce the cloth of a dress shirt collar. That limits its use ever after. I recall some shirts actually made with holes in the collar points for these bars.

Swank is a brand that has indeed been around for a long time. It's no Tiffany but everyday mens jewelry. I have several of the collar bars but didn't realize how old they were until I realized how old I am.

I am not a 'collar bar' guy anymore but maybe the next time these come around, I'll put them back on. I'd be afraid to wear these to the office now, fearing the younger folks asking 'Hey pops, where's the disco?' or 'Which Gekko are you? The one in 'Wall Street' or the insurance mascot?'

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
filfoster said:
Myself, I can't bear to pierce the cloth of a dress shirt collar. That limits its use ever after. I recall some shirts actually made with holes in the collar points for these bars.

Swank is a brand that has indeed been around for a long time. It's no Tiffany but everyday mens jewelry. I have several of the collar bars but didn't realize how old they were until I realized how old I am.

I am not a 'collar bar' guy anymore but maybe the next time these come around, I'll put them back on. I'd be afraid to wear these to the office now, fearing the younger folks asking 'Hey pops, where's the disco?' or 'Which Gekko are you? The one in 'Wall Street' or the insurance mascot?'

That's true - if you're going to use the safety pin type, you have pretty well committed that shirt to be always worn with a pinned collar.

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
I wear one with just about everything - I don't think it looks overly formal with sportcoats, checked shirts, sweaters, etc. You see them worn with lots of different outfits in old photos & movies. They used to be a standard part of most military uniforms as well - especially in the British Army and the US Marine Corps.

suits lover

A-List Customer
I wear one with just about everything - I don't think it looks overly formal with sportcoats, checked shirts, sweaters, etc. You see them worn with lots of different outfits in old photos & movies. They used to be a standard part of most military uniforms as well - especially in the British Army and the US Marine Corps.

Thank you for the information Mountain Man. Then I will continue to wear them with sport coat and sweater. It one of my favorite accesorie since it is very rare today that someone sport one.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You have a collar pin!?

GIMME! I WANT ONE!!

I've been trying to find one for ages at the flea-market and antiques shops...never find any!

That little whinge over with, you can wear a collar-pin with damn near anything, so long as you're also wearing a necktie as well. Otherwise, it would look REALLY weird...

suits lover

A-List Customer
You have a collar pin!?

GIMME! I WANT ONE!!

I've been trying to find one for ages at the flea-market and antiques shops...never find any!

That little whinge over with, you can wear a collar-pin with damn near anything, so long as you're also wearing a necktie as well. Otherwise, it would look REALLY weird...

Here were I have goy one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Collar-Pin-M...s_and_Tacks&hash=item564a3ba370#ht_1718wt_852
Just tap collar pin on ebay and you will find some.
When I will have time, I will put a picture of it.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
So you don't need dedicated holes in the collar for these, right? Won't it ruin the collar and make it fray on that spot in the long run?

suits lover

A-List Customer
So you don't need dedicated holes in the collar for these, right? Won't it ruin the collar and make it fray on that spot in the long run?

No, I have pieced the hole myself with the pin. Surely it will leave some tiny hole were you pierce it. But if you alway pierce to the same place on the collar there is no problem. So far it been a lot of mounths since I use collar pin and the collar of the shirts that I use are still not ruin.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
If you go to any equestrian store that sells hunt attire, you can find the pins for about $6.00. For hunt attire they are used to secure the stock tie, but I believe that they are exactly the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe