Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style Wingtip Boot

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I was looking for something completely unrelated and found these.
Called the "Type Z 5490 Folk" at Zappos. Pretty cool, but a little pricey.
2249-294806-p.jpg

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Balmoral Boots??

Gentlemen,

Are any of these examples of "Balmoral Boots"?

Macmurrough, in the Jamie O'Neil novel: "At Swim Two Boys", set in 1917 Dublin, wears Balmoral Boots on Saint Patrick's Day.

They either aren't made anymore, and have gone the way of other lost Edwardian fashions, or now have another name.

-BigLittletim

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
BigLittleTim said:
Gentlemen,

Are any of these examples of "Balmoral Boots"?

Macmurrough, in the Jamie O'Neil novel: "At Swim Two Boys", set in 1917 Dublin, wears Balmoral Boots on Saint Patrick's Day.

They either aren't made anymore, and have gone the way of other lost Edwardian fashions, or now have another name.

-BigLittletim

Balmoral boots are similar, though they may or may not have a wing tip. What they do have is closed, balmoral- or oxford-style lacing, as opposed to the open, blucher- or derby-style lacing of the boots above.

There's a whole thread on bal boots here, and the very first picture posted by Manton is a perfect example: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20187

dscn2654ew3.jpg

Manton's are the Shannon model by Edward Green, one of the few makers left that still produce them. Grenson makes a couple of styles for various retailers, and there may be some other European high-end shoemakers that do them.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Interesting...

...but my impression is that boot type dress shoes were more a product of the horse-and-buggy-not-fully-paved-world. What's the current attraction?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Mid-fogey said:
...but my impression is that boot type dress shoes were more a product of the horse-and-buggy-not-fully-paved-world. What's the current attraction?

Perhaps, though they were still common into the 20s and 30s. As I see it, the attraction is at least twofold. One, there is the historical significance--they have long been considered more formal than an oxford shoe, and are the classic footwear to accompany morning dress and other relatively formal day dress. Two, they're good for bad weather, as they protect your ankles from rain, snow, sleet, slush, etc., while maintaining a dressed-up look.

kbadr

Familiar Face
Whatever their purpose or historical significance, I love those Stacy Adams boots. Been looking for that style for a while. I just ordered a pair to replace my everyday doc marten shoes that are long over-due for replacement.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Wingtip boots

A few years ago I found a pair on E-bay made by Dr Martens.
Nice brown leather for some funny reason the soul is not as thick as my Doc 10 eye boots. At first this was a problem for me but over time I have come to like them. If I have the funds this winter will have the rubber souls taken off and leather put on. I do like the fact that they have lots of support.
They are very much a shoe of the early years of the Jazz age The B. Altman and Company were selling them in the summer of 1921. ( just another reason to get vintage cataloques )

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mid-fogey said:

Bad Ankles!

I have a pair of the Stacey Adams as well as a pair of the J Crew wingtips in a saddle colored suede.
I just received a pair of the LL Bean Chippewa Iron Works boots & have a pair of these Rockports on order from Sportsman's Guide @ a super price:
boots.jpg

I like the historical associations these evoke as well as the comfort & security for a couple of ankles that are shot. As the saying goes "had I known I'd live this long, I'd have taken much better care of myself" :eusa_doh:

carter

I'll Lock Up
Here is a photo of a pair of Italian-made seven eyelet laceup boots from Banana Republic that I purchased for $30.00 on OFAS a couple of months ago. An unadorned captoe with closed/balmoral lacing.

1090_1.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
Perhaps, though they were still common into the 20s and 30s. As I see it, the attraction is at least twofold. One, there is the historical significance--they have long been considered more formal than an oxford shoe, and are the classic footwear to accompany morning dress and other relatively formal day dress. Two, they're good for bad weather, as they protect your ankles from rain, snow, sleet, slush, etc., while maintaining a dressed-up look.

That's exactly it. The idea of my ankles being protected from seasonable breezes was the original attraction for me. I've long favoured a longer boot for casual wear, both for the increased ankle support and warmth, so the option of something similar for more formal occasions is attractive. While a boot style can also be much more formal than a regular shoe when teamed with morning wear, I also find it can be a choice that sits more easily with a casual dress option too. Somehow has less of a "wearing my good shoes with my jeans because my usual shoes are dirty" type of effect with it to me. I doubt that even remotely stacks up logically, but it makes sense in my mind! :p

Marty M.

Vendor
Orgetorix said:
Balmoral boots are similar, though they may or may not have a wing tip. What they do have is closed, balmoral- or oxford-style lacing, as opposed to the open, blucher- or derby-style lacing of the boots above.

There's a whole thread on bal boots here, and the very first picture posted by Manton is a perfect example: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20187

dscn2654ew3.jpg

Manton's are the Shannon model by Edward Green, one of the few makers left that still produce them. Grenson makes a couple of styles for various retailers, and there may be some other European high-end shoemakers that do them.

Though I'm a "Blucher" kinda guy, these boots of Manton's are absolutly perfect. Bravo.
Marty Mathis

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
I would love to have a pair to wear with some charcoal gray slacks.

My question would be should they lace all the way or have the little hooks?

One would easier to take on and off.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld