Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clark Kent's Fedora

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
Sitting here recuperating from surgery, I remembered something that happened a year ago and that I thought you might find interesting.

I met Noel Neill, who played Lois Lane on the old "Superman" TV series, and we were chatting about her time with the show.

I asked her: "What brand of fedora did George Reeves wear as Clark Kent?" I thought maybe she had seen the label when it was sitting on the desk or something.

She stared at me. "No one has ever asked me that before. I have no idea."

Oh well. At least I tried.

Doh!

One Too Many
Too bad she didn't know -- it is a sharp looking lid:

Clark3.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jack Larson and Clark Kent

superman-jo.jpg

Jimmy and Clark; what a great hat! Jack Larson has a small part in the new 'Superman' film as the bartender during a scene with the 'new' Jimmy Olsen and the 'new' Clark Kent!

Also, for the record, George Reeves spoke the first line of script in the film "Gone With the Wind"!!!

-dixon cannon

Doh!

One Too Many
I own the first season of "Adventures of Superman" on DVD and admire the hell out of Clark's hat. It appears to have a diamond crown. I've never figured out how to screencapture anything or I'd post pix.

In one episode, one of the characters is nervously wringing his fedora in his hands, and the felt is so pliable it looks like he's holding a dishrag!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
superman-jo.jpg

Jimmy and Clark; what a great hat! Jack Larson has a small part in the new 'Superman' film as the bartender during a scene with the 'new' Jimmy Olsen and the 'new' Clark Kent!

Also, for the record, George Reeves spoke the first line of script in the film "Gone With the Wind"!!!

-dixon cannon

Looks a lot like the fedora in your avatar, Dixon. Is that a Stetson? :)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It must be...

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Looks a lot like the fedora in your avatar, Dixon. Is that a Stetson? :)

...a Stratoliner worn by Mr. Hughes as TWA was involved in both the airplane and marketing tie in. Personally, I wear a Borso that looks quite similar!

-dixon cannon

Flash Gordon said:
Sitting here recuperating from surgery, I remembered something that happened a year ago and that I thought you might find interesting.

I met Noel Neill, who played Lois Lane on the old "Superman" TV series, and we were chatting about her time with the show.

I asked her: "What brand of fedora did George Reeves wear as Clark Kent?" I thought maybe she had seen the label when it was sitting on the desk or something.

She stared at me. "No one has ever asked me that before. I have no idea."

Oh well. At least I tried.

There is a good chance it was a Stetson. Stetson had one heck of a marketing arm in Hollywood for decades. You see ads from the time with all the latest actors. Stetson would take orders from the studios and literally give the hats away just so they would be on screen. They delivered to Tom Mixx's dressing room routinely. Tom took a shower with the hat on to shape it the way he liked---or so the story goes from one of the delivery men. I think that continued into the TV years with Bonanza and a few other westerns like Bat Masterson. They even named their hat models after the shows. I know I have a Bat Masterson Bowler. Makes good sense when you consider the viewing public might want a hat like that--just as we do now. ;)

Regards,

J

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I can't help but wonder if the hat, and for that matter the suit, were a little tight on Clark. Ever noticed how radically his voice octave changed when he took them off?

This looks like a job For SUPERMAN.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
(large snip) They even named their hat models after the shows. I know I have a Bat Masterson Bowler. Makes good sense when you consider the viewing public might want a hat like that--just as we do now. ;)

Oh, that is TOO COOL! I loved that series starring Gene Barry. Where in the world did you find a Bat Masterson bowler?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally