Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christys Bowler Hats + Skateboarders? Strange hat crossovers.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
I recently purchased a wool felt Christys bowler on ebay that was part of a numbered release of 300 bowlers specially manufactured for Globe inc., a major retailer of skateboards and related items. The limited edition hats are quite nice, and I like the purple lining more than the typical Christys' red.

But it's a very strange synergy they're trying for. Why would Christys' want to get skateboarding punks to wear fine classic hats? Why would Globe be interested? Clockwork orange connection? And why do it as a limited release rather than an ongoing partnership?

What other weird hat crossovers have you encountered?

img_0864.jpg

img_0868.jpg

img_0867.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Just a quirk of fashion. One thing is for sure, the Limited Ed couldn't be targeted at serious skateboarders, for they require other kinds of headgear for protection.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Would you say Christy hat means bowler? I wonder because many years ago an old friend (born in 1900) referred to someone he knew in the 1920s as wearing a Christy hat. I never asked what he meant, somehow I thought he meant a straw skimmer, now I'm not so sure?

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Yeah it's wool, the texture is rougher and the damned thing is a dust magnet. Other than that it's essentially identical to the fur felt.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Just a quirk of fashion. One thing is for sure, the Limited Ed couldn't be targeted at serious skateboarders, for they require other kinds of headgear for protection.

Yeah, it's a mystery to me who exactly this was targeted toward. Maybe skateboarders bought them all back in 2008, but who knows? I've never seen one on ebay before, and it's a very nice hat. Definitely not intended as protective headgear, but then most of what Globe sells is skateboarder fashion rather than legitimate equipment.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Would you say Christy hat means bowler? I wonder because many years ago an old friend (born in 1900) referred to someone he knew in the 1920s as wearing a Christy hat. I never asked what he meant, somehow I thought he meant a straw skimmer, now I'm not so sure?

I couldn't say for sure either, it could be. But at the time the main Bowler manufacturers were Christys', Dunn & Co, Lock & Co, Bates etc. And those companies made many types of hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe