Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

christie's foldaway fedora

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_doh: Back to the drawing board. I'll do my research properly next time. Either way, the price of the Christys is more attractive. For the price of a Locke fur felt I might as well just get a custom made beaver Penman hat.

hatted

One of the Regulars
I have a foldaway I got on ebay about a year ago for about $40 brand new. It's a nice light hat with a crisp brim (when unfolded), but the retail price is too high in my opinion. Also, the bow is a bit underwhelming.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The retail price from England is a lot better, especially if I can go directly to the shop and save money on postage. £50 is a lot less than the $180 some US shops offer one for.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
avedwards said:
Locke don't offer a crushable fur felt to my knowledge though. And they cost about three times as much as Christys. And I'm not happy with them as I sent a hat to be reblocked and they just stretched it and tapered it as a result.

Lock does, however it is pretty much identical to the Christy´s one. Only diference is the Lock one has a thin ribbon and a superfluous Lock lable stitched to the cloth sweatband, and the more than triple price.

Both hat´s crowns do not hold any shape really. The felt is very light and thin ... o.k. for an uncomplicated summer hat.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
Can anyone tell me the height of the crown on one of these when it's open crowned? And also, how well do they do for a light weight felt in summer?

I had intended to measure mine, last night, but forgot to. I can tell you it's pretty shallow, probably not even as deep as a Stetson Temple. I've had mine, for some time, and seldom wear it. It's not a bad hat, and it's not a great hat. The overall quality is identical to the Tonaks that were sold at Burlington Coat Factory, for a few years. If you pay the Christie's price, you will probably be unhappy with what you get. If you snag one on ebay for $40 or less, you might be happy. (I'm not.)

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I had one. I concur w/ analogist's description (post #2). It was extrememly light, and rather low crowned. Not a bad looking hat, though always a touch disheveled as it would never really hold any particular shape. I found that mine tended to blow off in a high wind -- a problem I have not had with stiffer felt hats. I don't baby my hats; I'm happy to put them on floors (including under airline seats); so a foldable hat has no great advantage for me.

Being so light, and unlined, it was comfortable in hot weather, but also easy to sweat through as mentioned above ... after just one summer it looked pretty dreadful actually.

Unless the foldability is really attractive to you, I'd say the money is better spent on a normal felt hat.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Bird's One View said:
I had one. I concur w/ analogist's description (post #2). It was extrememly light, and rather low crowned. Not a bad looking hat, though always a touch disheveled as it would never really hold any particular shape. I found that mine tended to blow off in a high wind -- a problem I have not had with stiffer felt hats. I don't baby my hats; I'm happy to put them on floors (including under airline seats); so a foldable hat has no great advantage for me.

Being so light, and unlined, it was comfortable in hot weather, but also easy to sweat through as mentioned above ... after just one summer it looked pretty dreadful actually.

Unless the foldability is really attractive to you, I'd say the money is better spent on a normal felt hat.
The trouble I have though is that all normal felts are too heavy for me to wear in summer and I just don't like wearing straw. And while it may be easy to sweat through, I don't think I would sweat with a lighter hat as it isn't that warm in Britain, usually no more than 25C. As for foldability, it is an added advantage but not the reason I'm going for the hat. And crown height wise I'm fine with lower crowns, as I'm used to it from my Stetson which I otherwise wear, so anything more than 5" is OK with me.

metropd

One Too Many
I had Hornets hats make me the Foldaway with a 5 inch crown and a 2 1/2 inch brim. I will let you know when I get the results.

byronic

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
I had Hornets hats make me the Foldaway with a 5 inch crown and a 2 1/2 inch brim. I will let you know when I get the results.
Let me know too, please. I'm after something in more of an 'Indy' style, but packable.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:

I had no idea they would do something like that. I'd be interested to know how that worked out, too.

byronic said:
Let me know too, please. I'm after something in more of an 'Indy' style, but packable.
I ordered a Christy's Foldaway from Hornet Hats & specified a 2 5/8 brim. I wish I had specified a 5 1/2 or taller crown cause I think they took crown away to make my wider brim. This is the lowest crown hat I have seen in quite some time. I am totally disappointed in what I got except for the red tube to put it in.

byronic

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
I ordered a Christy's Foldaway from Hornet Hats & specified a 2 5/8 brim. I wish I had specified a 5 1/2 or taller crown cause I think they took crown away to make my wider brim. This is the lowest crown hat I have seen in quite some time. I am totally disappointed in what I got except for the red tube to put it in.
Thanks for the tip. To tell the truth, I bought a Christys regular foldaway 2 years ago and wasn't overly impressed either. I found it very diffcult to keep it in shape, or at least the shape I wanted. Then one day I got caught out in a downpour and despite careful drying, weighting etc, it developed a floppy brim and ended up lookng like something one would see perched atop a scarecrow. I dont wear it anymore, my cat sleeps in it now, and he's welcome to it.lol

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
byronic said:
Thanks for the tip. To tell the truth, I bought a Christys regular foldaway 2 years ago and wasn't overly impressed either. I found it very diffcult to keep it in shape, or at least the shape I wanted. Then one day I got caught out in a downpour and despite careful drying, weighting etc, it developed a floppy brim and ended up lookng like something one would see perched atop a scarecrow. I dont wear it anymore, my cat sleeps in it now, and he's welcome to it.lol
I like mine quite a bit. It's not in the league of any of my costlier fedoras, but it isn't supposed to be. I decided to put the durability of my hats to the test and here's my foldaway after being a rain storm:

IMG_4433.jpg

And after that it was fine. In fact, I just uploaded a new avatar, of me wearing that same hat a couple of weeks later. It would never be my first choice for a dress up fedora, but for traveling and having something better than a baseball cap to wear, it's a good "bang for the buck."

RBH

Bartender
byronic said:
... I dont wear it anymore, my cat sleeps in it now, and he's welcome to it.lol

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dont remember if I welcomed you to the Lounge or not.. but WELCOME!!!
You my friend will fit in well here!

p.s. to add
Blackthorn, nice looking hat. But like Tom says... the crown is just to short for me.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:

p.s. to add
Blackthorn, nice looking hat. But like Tom says... the crown is just to short for me.

I understand, RBH, it is too short for me, too, but I don't want to wear my Stetsons, or Akubras or my Fawcett when I travel, so I won't be heartbroken if it blows off my head into a river in China (or anywhere else). Maybe we can get them to start offering a higher crown for those of us who travel a lot.

byronic

One of the Regulars
RBH said:

p.s. to add
Many thanks:) - and to be fair to the Foldaway, it does make a very stylish cat basket! ;)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I recently found my wife a very nice Christy's Rollaway at an estate sale.
The felt is actually gorgeous... very thin and soft.

She will not let me steam it or shape it in any way because she loves it all crumpled as you see it creased here... she looks quite good in it I might add

e12db608fbaa046b5532f07dc09f12bc.jpg

aee3dc89bf4a0789a6c4888176140e1e.jpg

daf61fadb6d7bb854f9b8e3fc2fa7526.jpg

44e982dea1790f0db8748ea67bd6bbdd.jpg

b38d38a104689333823dbbae064be2b8.jpg

ab1045bf56a59b36a84e407afbfb1462.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The felt is actually
She will not let me steam it or shape it in any way because she loves it all crumpled as you see it creased here... she looks quite good in it I might add

Wow a leather sweat. Mine's got a fabric sweat.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The felt is actually gorgeous... very thin and soft.

Pics or she doesn't wear it...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members