Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

China's latest craze: dyeing pets to look like other wild animals

green papaya

One Too Many
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatche...owl/china-panda-pet-culture-dog-tiger-economy

Dyeing pets has been a trend in pet pampering for quite some time. At last summer's Pets Show Taipei, there was a fierce dog-dyeing competition.

But dyeing your pets to look like other wild animals is a more recent development.

china_dyed_dogs_1.jpg

tigerdog.jpg

0013729e4a600f68f8fb1c.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Well, if they ain't hurtin' them.... [huh]

Well seen it's only dogs in the photos, though. Good luck coaxing a cat into letting you humiliate it like that....

Edward

Bartender
I already saw this, on Animal Planet.
Apparently, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't even bother them.. (maybe just the PINK POODLE was a bit bothered by it's own color) :)

Yeah, whatever they do the dyeing with is non-toxic and the animals supposedly don't mind the process. Typically I've only seen it done on pedigree show dogs which are well used to being groomed and primped, so it probably isn't that big a deal to them. I can see how some might argue that it is "undignified" for the animal, though to be honest as lnog as it doesn't hurt or distress them, I wouldn't be so worried (if anything, what concerns me about pedigree dogs are all the health problems and artificially short lifespans that are bred into them in order to produce and maintain the breed, as well as the rejection and often euthanising of perfectl healthy animals that don't fit some artificial show-dog "beauty" standard).

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Oh, the chows are cute, and the retriever-tiger impressive. But how permanent is the dye? And could it hurt the animals if they lick their fur with the dye on?

Yeah, I can just imagine trying that with my cat, who already looks much like a panda. I'd be sliced and diced like Sylvester in the old Warner Brothers cartoons.

(ETA: I saw the post above saying the dye is non-toxic. Glad to hear that.)

Feraud

Bartender
Where is the informtion saying the dye they are using is non-toxic?
I've seen one too many recall of foodstuffs, children and pet toys, etc. to assume China is keeping the non-toxic dyes for their own market..

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
(ETA: I saw the post above saying the dye is non-toxic. Glad to hear that.)

Where is the informtion saying the dye they are using is non-toxic?

..on Animal Planet. :)
There was this lovely lady who does the dyeing of dog hair; and she said she'd NEVER do it if it wasn't harmless.
Majority of the animals tat undergo the dyeing are show dogs.
Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwfaQ4mABQ&feature=related

AS for cats..
..the only kitty I saw that wore color, was the one with Pepé Le Pew.. ;)

Justin B

One Too Many
As a long time fishkeeper this is a huge issue that frankly I cannot stand. The dying and tattooing of animals is cruel and disgusting. That is all I will say as my normal venting on the subject is much more venomous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82