Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out this website of unique and beautiful clothes!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share this website of truly exquisite clothing with you all. The clothes are a bit on the renaissance side but oh so beautiful!

www.samiah.com.

When I first met Samiah or Sam the designer was in 2003 at the Portland Saturday Market during the time I had a booth at the market, Sam had one there also but only for one weekend. She was selling her Winterfield Coats and I did end up getting one them from her in the Russian Red and it was truly breathtaking! When I wore the coat I used to get so many compliments on it and I would hear people wispering... "she looks like royalty or she looks like a princess!" I had the coat for two years and my ex-husband got mad at me during our divorce and sold it to a Buffalo Exchange Store, so somebody got an incredible coat for a very good deal! I am hoping that Karma will bring it back-LOL! Thought I would share this gem (website) with you all instead of selfishly keeping it to myself because I know you will all appreciate it.

Brooksie

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Those were gorgeous coats! I'm sorry to hear about what happened to yours:( men BAH!!!

They are way beyind my price range but I can look and dream...:) thanks for posting.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, her clothing is exquisite!
I have been looking for a coat like the Winterfield for a while, but can't justify spending that kind of money on it:( It really is beautiful, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to yours.
I've always been focused on mostly 30's and 40's vintage, and some Edwardian. Now I'm getting into earlier time periods. I'm hoping to get at least one outfit from the 1500's period. It's just silly to do right now, for I'm hoping to drop a few pound, and I have no place to wear one to. But, I've bookmarked Samiah, for she has quite a few pieces that are exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for posting the link to this site:)

GOK

One Too Many
The Crimson Tide Bailey coat is just gorgeous!

I think her prices are very reasonable actually. £475 ($935) is not a lot for a handmade coat. Some of those brocades cost between £50-£75 a metre over here, so if I were to make something like the Bailey coat in say, the forest green brocade, the least I would have to charge would be something like £600 (app. $1,180), to cover the cost of materials, labour, overheads etc. If Samiah was working over here, she'd probably be charging roughly the same - maybe more.

I think the trouble today is that most people (I don't lump Loungers in with 'most people'!) are used to High St prices and throwaway fashion, so when faced with quality apparel, they see the price tag and not what goes into the garment itself. In general, people don't look at the quality of the fabric, work or think about the man-hours that have gone into making an item of clothing. Clothes on the High St are often made from inferior materials, skimp on the fit and made by people that are paid a pittance. (However, that is a whole different argument because if they didn't work in sweatshops, what would their alternative be? Good and bad on both sides of the coin.)

Whereas couture...well, we all understand that, so I don't need to explain - do I? :D

Brooksie

One Too Many
GOK said:
The Crimson Tide Bailey coat is just gorgeous!

I think her prices are very reasonable actually. £475 ($935) is not a lot for a handmade coat. Some of those brocades cost between £50-£75 a metre over here, so if I were to make something like the Bailey coat in say, the forest green brocade, the least I would have to charge would be something like £600 (app. $1,180), to cover the cost of materials, labour, overheads etc. If Samiah was working over here, she'd probably be charging roughly the same - maybe more.

I think the trouble today is that most people (I don't lump Loungers in with 'most people'!) are used to High St prices and throwaway fashion, so when faced with quality apparel, they see the price tag and not what goes into the garment itself. In general, people don't look at the quality of the fabric, work or think about the man-hours that have gone into making an item of clothing. Clothes on the High St are often made from inferior materials, skimp on the fit and made by people that are paid a pittance. (However, that is a whole different argument because if they didn't work in sweatshops, what would their alternative be? Good and bad on both sides of the coin.)

Whereas couture...well, we all understand that, so I don't need to explain - do I? :D

Well said GOK, the coat I bought was the Winterfield which was not quiet as expensive as her new Bailey coats. Also she gave me a $100.00 discount because I was a fellow vendor at the Saturday Market. I felt that for the craftsmanship and quality (plus it was made to measure just for me) that it was money well spent and it was surprising how often I actually did end up wearing it. Since I lost the one that I had I would love to have another one but now my circumstances are different now and I do not have the money for another one. So it looks like we are all in the same boat together!

Brooksie

GOK

One Too Many
Tough Cookie said:
Exactly what my corset-maker friend said when I showed her the site.

Elaina said:
Too funny, my corset making friend said the same thing (and I knew she was looking for something like this.)

See, we know a thing or two! :D

Brroksie, I do hope you manage to replace your coat one day...soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld