Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cellulite - the dreaded.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I noticed yesterday that I'm getting a bit cellulitey on the back of my thighs and bum. Any tips for shifting it without losing weight? I don't really do any exercise at all currently apart from physio/pilates exercises.

Smuterella

One Too Many
body brushing and deep massage when you put body lotion on. thems my tips.

you can get lovely body brushes at The Body Shop

MissHannah

One Too Many
I do a bit of body brushing but perhaps not enough, or not vigorous enough! Does smoking give you cellulite or is it just a hereditary/bad luck thing?

Edit: I'm 35 so ageing is obviously a factor as well.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I think its mainly weight and age, i'm fairly slim but have certainly noticed the cellulite creeping up over the past couple of years.

the smoking is certainly affecting my facial skin, I just noticed my lipstick is feathering so I suppose it could affect everything.

i need to try and give up again.

*crys into keyboard*

but then Mischa Barton has loads more cellulite than me and she is a mere whippersnapper, so i'm not going to worry too much yet

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=564088&in_page_id=1773

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I don't know, I think that it's got a lot to with genes and hormones. I know plenty of smokers without cellulite and plenty of ladies older than me ( I'm 36) without any either! It doesn't seem to be weight related either as one of my skinniest friends is plagued with it.

I used to be a swimming coach and spent most of my 20's uber fit etc and I STILL had some on the back of my legs, so heavens knows if there is a definitive cure...:)

I think that the body brushing can't be a bad thing as it will boost your circulation and keep your skin nice and soft but I'd go easy with it.

I've just learned to love mine.......;)

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Cellulite is just lymph that has collected in your body. Two ways to get ride of it or at least diminish it are body brushing daily or lymph drainage massages. The body brushing is cheap but the massages are expensive but caffine has great topical effects for cellulite as well. So if you body brush before getting into the shower and while in the shower use a scrub with coffee beans you will see some improvement. You can make your own scrub with almond oil, sugar in the raw, and ground coffee that you like the fragence of.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's genetic...

Some people get it and some don't. I am old and fat and don't have it! Thanks god.
I have a friend who finally gave in and had liposuction, that took care of it. Rather expensive, but she says it is the best thing she ever did.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dont worry so much about it :)

Youre getting older, as we all are. I found more grey hairs today in...other places...:rolleyes:

I dont worry about it. I already sag. Plus the show stopping looks you produce Miss Hannah, you dont have to worry about anything for a long looooooong time :D

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i'm chubby and don't have much cellulite.

i've heard staying well-hydrated can help minimize the appearance.

did anyone else notice that it looks like the mischa barton pics have been manipulated? see how the woodgrain in the table stands out more than you would expect, as well as her cellulite. seems a little.... altered to me! :p

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks for all the advice ladies. I don't plan to worry about it too much. I'm very fond of my bum and thighs (and I certainly won't be having any lipo - I only have 36" hips!!) but maybe it's time to hang up the old short shorts at last! I've had a good run and I'm very grateful for that so I shan't be griping too much about a bit of dimply fat :)

And yes, those pics of Mischa Barton had been 'enhanced', definitely.

Midgetqueen

New in Town
Yep. Those Mischa pics have gotta be 'shopped. And not even particularly decently, either.

I've never heard the lymph-explanation for cellulite, but I have heard that massaging helps so I try to whenever I put lotion on my thighs, since that's easily where I've got it the worst. I've retired all my skirts and shorts that are shorter than knee-length except for one that I'm only willing to wear with leggings. :/ I wonder how many different causes there are, and I'm fairly sure that mine is at least partly weight-gain induced, as I never had any back when I was quite physically active and about 25 or 30 lbs lighter. Should've been less sedentary at college, and now I'm stuck at a desk job 9 hours a day so it's much more difficult! I feel like crap compared to before, to be honest, and here are these thigh and bum dimples to boot.

Slather on that sunscreen, go outside and be active whenever possible, ladies. Maybe it helps with the cellulite, maybe it doesn't, but I figure we'd all feel better at least!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty lean and fit and even my thighs have a little...bumpiness. I just cover it up.

However, when I started lifting weights and doing step aerobics about five years ago, a LOT of that hail damage disappeared.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Heredity plays a major role :rolleyes: Thanks mom!
I agree with Paisley the best things to do is to exercise and tone up! That always works wonders!

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Lola Valentine said:
As one of my friends said about her cellulite "It took a lot of good living for me to look this way.":)

I love that! Fabulous.. Your friend sounds like my kind of person!

I just turned 43 and the backs of my thighs never see the light of day unless I am with family.. At this point I have to factor in the effort it would take to get rid of it against how often I would be prancing around with something that shows the tops/backs of my thighs.. at this point in my life.. Not so very much at all.. So.. I shall embrace your friend's saying Lola Valentine. Thank you! :)

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Pants. Lots of pants.

It's genetic and almost everyone will get it eventually. Those who don't will undoubtedly be hated by the rest of us.

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
I have heard...

They say that smoking contributes to cellulite, but I dont know.

More importantly, I have heard that drinking TONS of water after exercise/deep tissue massage will help cleanse the area of fats broken down during "treatments". I have a friend who had bad cellulite from an early age (21), who tried those deep tissue massages for a while, and insists that as soon as she started drinking about 1 liter of water immediately after her treatments she finally started seeing changes!

Most importantly, don't stress! You are beautiful, and a few bumps arent going to change that!

Smuterella

One Too Many
Magpie Annie said:
You are beautiful, and a few bumps arent going to change that!

yep, learn to love it. it is such a womanly thing that now i see it that way i kinda love it. i'm a curvy girl, i have dimples. its all good.

Naama

Practically Family
A few weeks ago I was reading a medical magazin about cellulite and there it was said that the only way to really get rid of it is surgery or ultrasonics. You can make it better with sports but cremes, brushes and things don't work at all! Because the problem is that the conjunctive tissue is too weak, it breaks, and the fat comes through, that's the reason for cellulite. Not even loosing weight helps, it can even make it worse! Trust me I've been there :mad:

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe