Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cavanagh Milano

Charlie Reader

New in Town
Hi,

does anyone of you own a 50's Cavanagh Milano hat (or similar models like Leghorn, Cavair etc.)? Don't worry, I don't want to snatch it away ;) , I'm just interested since this model seems to be very rare. Up to now I couldn't find it in Ebay.

However, a CLASSY lid...

CavanaghMilano.jpg

Andreas

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very Nice !

Charlie Reader said:
Hi,

does anyone of you own a 50's Cavanagh Milano hat (or similar models like Leghorn, Cavair etc.)? Don't worry, I don't want to snatch it away ;) , I'm just interested since this model seems to be very rare. Up to now I couldn't find it in Ebay.

However, a CLASSY lid...

CavanaghMilano.jpg

Andreas

I have an ancient LEE brand that was the very spitin' image of the hat in the illustration. It had vents woven in behind a lovely gray three pleat, 1 1/2 " pug and a supple perforated / ventilated leather sweat. Retailed from the long defunct GUNN'S menswear in my hometown of Athens, GA. it was truly a hat made for the summer, brilliantly engineered. Alas, the crown started to separate at the top and I sweated right through the straw & discolored it. I still have the constituent parts & often use the pug on my Spanish silverbelly open road... looks super.

Charlie Reader

New in Town
Scotrace:
Funny, I bought the same Cavanagh straw hat a few weeks ago in Ebay. Its shape isn't exactly a "Milano" and it was manufactured in the mid-60's. But a nice hat too. Unfortunately I looked in the wrong size table (British instead of US) and so it turned out it's too small for me...

Rick Blaine:
[***I have an ancient LEE brand that was the very spitin' image of the hat in the illustration.***/I]

Thanks, that's interesting - I thought only Cavanagh made this kind of hat.

Kind regards,
Charlie Reader

Rick Blaine

here is a similar model

Charlie Reader said:
Thanks, that's interesting - I thought only Cavanagh made this kind of hat.

... that sold the other day on eBay. ID'ed as a "Dorsey Jay", a brand, I'll admit, that I am not aware of...

1695h5x.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Straw hat

I think that some people get caught up when bidding on hats .They dont realize after the auction that they have overpaid for something . That hat isn't worth 77.00 . Unfortunately , it's happend to all of us , myself included .
I bought a Borsalnio about a month ago. I like the hat but I definatelt paid too much for it even though it was in mint condition /

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

squid

One of the Regulars
besdor said:
I think that some people get caught up when bidding on hats .

That goes for everything. I could fill a large closet with the junk I paid too much for and didn't need anyway. Hats are the only thing I haven't gotten carried away with, but it's still early. And my wife may not agree with me either.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
I bet that Dobbs will reappear as "relisted" before long...any takers??;)

she: you are a compulsive gambler!
he: I am not!
she: oh, yes you are!
he: oh, yeah! wanna bet??

Charlie Reader

New in Town
Do you mean the buyer backs down or the seller bought it himself? ;)
It's a nice one with a nice band (though the shape is different from the Milano), but I too never would pay that much for it.

I like the "Dorsey Jay" (posted above) more. Too bad I didn't see it... Rick, do you remember how expensive that one was?

Charlie

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Charlie Reader said:
Scotrace:
Funny, I bought the same Cavanagh straw hat a few weeks ago in Ebay. Its shape isn't exactly a "Milano" and it was manufactured in the mid-60's.

The tag under the sweat says "Milano."

Interestingly, this hat appears in the film North by Northwest, in blue straw.

Rick Blaine

Charlie Reader

New in Town
scotrace said:
The tag under the sweat says "Milano."

Oh, I stand corrected... though I couldn't find that tag in mine.

Rick Blaine said:
if it is any consolation it was only a size 7

Yeah it is - way too small! (Thanks :D)

Odd that this model is so rare. Lately I also saw someone wearing a dark Milano hat with a stylish patterned band in a 1957 movie.

Charlie

Charlie Reader

New in Town

feltfan

Wow, I just found a Knox Milano with an original price
tag of $10 in an antique store. I guess that puts the
hat a lot earlier than 1966.

I thought Milan hats were from the 50s and 60s.
Such a dramatic price difference between original
prices of $10 and $86 by 1966 implies an earlier date.
The sweat and other style indicators look old enough...

BTW, it's in almost new condition and grey shiny
hat body with what appears to be a raw silk pugaree.
There is a crease on the front of the crown, like the one
Sinatra is wearing in Visigoth's avatar.

Anyone know when Milan hats were first made?

Visigoth said:
I just won this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200024491790

Quite thrilled. If it sold for $86.00 in 1966, it must be an awfully nice straw.

I've decided that 50's and 60's straw porkpies are da bomb. Like em as much as felt fedoras, which surprises me.

Film Noir

New in Town
Milan straw

I got a milan straw hat on the bay that looks just like that Cavanaugh. However, it was made by the Ecuadorian Panama Hat Co. of New York. Anyone know anything about that company? The hat is of excellent quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe