Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Catherine Middleton - Duchess of Cambridge - 40's inspired hat

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
katemiddleton2.jpg

katemiddletonhat.jpg

At the Epsom Derby (horse races) in England last month, the most recent addition to the British Royal Family, Catherine Middleton (now the Duchess of Cambridge), sported a 1940's inspired hat created by Irish born designer, Philip Treacy.:)

As she appears to be something of an up-and-coming 'Fashion Icon' could 'Her Grace' be kick-starting a new generation of female 'hat wearers?' and could we be seeing more women across the globe turning towards a 'vintage inspired' wardrobe?

- watch the space ;)

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
That would be nice, but honestly Epsom isn't really an indicator of how most women dress. I love Phillip Treacy's creations, but I can't see then translating into everyday wear for most women.

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
I believe that would only happen if she wore hats daily or as a casual look, which she doesn't. In this case the hat saves the outfit, because the rest is so bland.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
The hat is really cute. I´d wear it instantly. But what caught my eye were the two princes. I think bowler hats would have looked better on them. But looking at all the other men I guess there is a rule about what to wear and what not?

Edward

Bartender
The hat is really cute. I´d wear it instantly. But what caught my eye were the two princes. I think bowler hats would have looked better on them. But looking at all the other men I guess there is a rule about what to wear and what not?

Bowler hats would be incorrect with morning dress. There are actually photos of them in bowlers at a military affair for retired men from one of the regiments with which they are associated. Neither of them carried off the bowler, IMO, but then I'm no fan of the bowler at the best of times. I like these top hats, though. Here, William comes off somewhat better: Harry appears to have lost his pocket square, and I am not a fan of his choice of tie with that shirt - the two blend into each other to much too great a degree. I think he would have done better with something that contrasted.

Re Paddy's original point, it would be nice if she did have that positive impact. It remains to be seen; I suppose a lot will depend upon what she does choose to wear day to day. She has certainly been set up to be influential as a fashion figure: the inevitable Diana comparisons (which I can only assume the Windsors don't mind, as they set her up for that with that engagement ring and the blue dress) seem to guarantee that, like Diana before her, her wardrobe choices will be the subject of quite some scrutiny.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
That would be nice, but honestly Epsom isn't really an indicator of how most women dress. I love Phillip Treacy's creations, but I can't see then translating into everyday wear for most women.

I think this is very true - a lot of women wear hats to the big racing events, and to weddings but not in everyday life. I don't really see Catherine as leading a hat revival.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I think this is very true - a lot of women wear hats to the big racing events, and to weddings but not in everyday life. I don't really see Catherine as leading a hat revival.

American women don't even do (at least not here in the midwest) this so perhaps it will inspire the americans as they seem fascinated by british royalty.

rue

I think they all look fantastic. I only wish her skirt was a little longer, although I'm sure the men would disagree ;)

As far as bringing hats back... I hope so, but for now, I'm the only one wearing them here in my town.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I think they all look fantastic. I only wish her skirt was a little longer, although I'm sure the men would disagree ;)

As far as bringing hats back... I hope so, but for now, I'm the only one wearing them here in my town.

I think her skirt should be longer too. I'm actually surprised how short it is. At the Royal Enclosure at Ascot dresses have to be to the knee, so I am surprised Epsom's rules are different.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I absolutely positively guarantee you that Kate's skirt length is exactly as long as she intended it to be.
I really enjoyed checking out the morning suits on all the gents at that event.
BTW, the queen's horse came in fourth.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Cute hat but the rest of the outfit is quite poor - I think the heavier jacket doesn't go with what appears to be a chiffon skirt and I agree with some other posters here on the skirt - it's too short.

zombi

A-List Customer
I think she's such a beautiful woman, really. The hat is lovely. I don't know as I like the rest of her outfit, but, as I said, she's beautiful!

Edward

Bartender

Au contraire, I agree with you. The proportions look all wrong, IMO. Not flattering on her. I don't know if it's her or the dress, but she looks as if she could do with a few decent meals.

I think her skirt should be longer too. I'm actually surprised how short it is. At the Royal Enclosure at Ascot dresses have to be to the knee, so I am surprised Epsom's rules are different.

Possibly, though do you honestly think anyone would question it? I suspect no-one would dare pull a Windsor up on those rules.

Drappa

One Too Many
^Those rules aren't ever really enforced these days anyway. Every time you see pictures form the big races, there are some younger women with shorter skirts or showing their entire back etc.
When my husband gets an invitation for a Navy Ball, it gives clear dress code instructions for both military and civilians. The first time I saw them I was really nervous, as they only allow a certain length and shoulders have to be covered etc. Once I got there most of the women didn't stick to it at all, and nobody got refused entry. In fact I remember feeling a bit frumpy compared to everybody else. I think the organisers know that women don't like to be forced into unfashionable dresses (ie tea lengths or too modest), and unless they are into vintage most like to show more skin ad trust they can get away with it.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Au contraire, I agree with you. The proportions look all wrong, IMO. Not flattering on her. I don't know if it's her or the dress, but she looks as if she could do with a few decent meals.

Possibly, though do you honestly think anyone would question it? I suspect no-one would dare pull a Windsor up on those rules.

The Duchess could use some more weight. She was thin to start, and gather she "dieted" prior to the wedding. What is the fascination with being overly thin? Lovely hat, but the dress does nothing for this monarchist!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
^Those rules aren't ever really enforced these days anyway. Every time you see pictures form the big races, there are some younger women with shorter skirts or showing their entire back etc.

There was a tightening up of the dress code for the Royal Enclosure at Ascot a couple of years ago. They probably won't turn away a Windsor, but I wouldn't put it past them to turn away some of the other guests.

When you see those pictures (esp from Aintree) they are from the general admission area, where there isn't a dress code, but people like to get into the spirit of a race meeting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld