Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Jacket

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
I live in Florida and have been wearing my leather jacket in winter for about ten years now. Enough. What I want is a very fine cashmere outerwear jacket. I feel open minded about the style but an example of something I'd like would be:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Loro-Piana-Ribbed-Cashmere-Bomber-Jacket-Outerwear/prod132010058
/?ecid=NMCIShoppingFeed&003=5838899&010=prod132010058skuGRAY&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=18-90912928-2

The problem in that there seem to be actually no choices in my size (medium, 38-40) at any price. One alternative is to keep a look out over a period of years and trust that a nice jacket will show up. But I thought maybe a tailor could make me one. Is that a realistic possibility? Does anyone know of a tailor that would do such a project and make it turn out right? Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks, Ralph

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi Ralphin,

Could you please fix the link - neither clicking on the highlighted part nor copy and pasting the whole thing seems to work.

As for a bespoke coat, a tailor could certainly make one for you, if you are willing to pay a premium price. You may wish to check out Magnoli Clothiers. I have no experience with them but most people seem satisfied with their work. The owner also seems to work well with special requests if you email him.

Last edited:

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Holy Moly!
$3K for a Cashmere jacket.:eeek:
I think that would be money better spent on a couple custom leather jackets, or as Philalethes suggests,
something from Magnoli.
That is, unless, you have very deep pockets and just crave some excess! :D
Lenny

von fackenheim

New in Town
I live in Florida and have been wearing my leather jacket in winter for about ten years now. Enough. What I want is a very fine cashmere outerwear jacket. I feel open minded about the style but an example of something I'd like would be:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Loro-Piana-Ribbed-Cashmere-Bomber-Jacket-Outerwear/prod132010058
/?ecid=NMCIShoppingFeed&003=5838899&010=prod132010058skuGRAY&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=18-90912928-2

The problem in that there seem to be actually no choices in my size (medium, 38-40) at any price. One alternative is to keep a look out over a period of years and trust that a nice jacket will show up. But I thought maybe a tailor could make me one. Is that a realistic possibility? Does anyone know of a tailor that would do such a project and make it turn out right? Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks, Ralph

It looks like the jacket only comes in size 48 (Italian) which is about a 38 in Commonwealth and US sizing so it should fit you. It is a nice looking jacket, but $3000 is a little steep. You can have a custom jacket made out of cashmere for less.

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. Von, you may be right. The ad said "Small/48," so, like a fool, I though that meant "Small." But a search showed 48 to be equal to USA medium. I will certainly check out Magnoli as well. And yet, if the Loro Piana jacket really is excellent and fits, the price is not as crazy as it sounds. For this reason: I am not at all rich but I am 61 and, given light use in the Florida winters, the jacket would last me for the rest of my life. What's a couple of thousand one way or the other once I am dead? Anyway, I'll think seriously of all the replies, including Lenny's sticker shock, and do the due diligence before buying anything. Thanks Gentlemen, Ralph

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The LP jacket linked to is actually a knit cashmere (like a sweater), which is not something most tailors would be able to make up. There are other Italian lux brands that traffic in similar stuff such as Kiton, Brioni, Luciano Barbera, Zegna, Armani, Borrelli, Stefano Ricci, Canali, Brunello Cucinelli, etc.......And as always, it's best to wait until the end of season sales where these items can be had at deep (50% + ) discounts.

loro-piana-neiman-marcus-jackets-ribbed-cashmere-bomber-jacket.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe