Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caps

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Here is one of my eight piece caps. I know Chamorro has a couple, anyone else?

eightpiececap2-vi.jpg

gcollins

One of the Regulars
where the heck does Root get all those vintage photos!

I used to wear a blackwatch Pendleton cap of my uncle's all through high school in the winter. I loved that hat. Seemed to bring me good luck, but I still got my tail whipped from the rest of the baseball team for being a nerd. Never kept me from dropping that hat though. I like the patch hat. Kind of cool, but I can't wear anything without a brim these days. Just doesn't seem to fit somehow. :cool:

G

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not a big fan of the patchwork caps... too much goin'on.

I like it clean and old fashioned with a good pattern or a chunky fabric.

I had lock hatters make me a cap a few years ago which dissapeared (I think it was stolen). I ordered the same cap from Lock and they sent me back a cap that was of a similarly patterned material though much lighter and smoother. I was befuddled. I sent the cap back with a letter saying that this was not the same material and I was very upset to see their standards had fallen. They sent me back a letter saying they would see what they could do though the fabric was no longer made in such a course and heavy weight.

A few months later they sent me the hat made to my specs with the old material. Lock said the company which made the fabric no longer existed, though they were able to make me a hat from remnants of the material left behind from the company that bought the materials.

I'll post the hat later. The fabric is simply tough as nails and I wish I had bought more of the material at the time because it would have made a killer suit.

The cap I am wearing in the pic above is one I picked up while in Lione France. It was a little hat shop in an allyway which had hundreds of caps along the walls and fedora stacked away from reach.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Yeah, I've got one made in Ireland and sold here:
http://www.noggintops.com
It's a very nice warm cap and I've been wearing it a lot since moving to the midwest. I would like to get one with a fuller crown and longer brim like they used to be in the old days though. Maybe even a leather sweatband. Anyone been able to find someone that makes them that way?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Actually the Lock hatter cap has a leather sweatband. I had to make a special request. The fuller crown is optional too, though I look better in the less floppy.

Baron hats can make you one if you provide the material. As for the leather band, I suggest you take a look at Wild Roots vintage newsboy with leather band, it is a bit narrower than those in fedoras, same with the custom job from Lock hatters.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Back when I had the second one made the cap cost around 70 dollars... not cheap. With the exchange rate as it is I suggest holding off if you are thinking about getting a hat from Lock. Though they will send you fabric swatches if you want to see what they have available.

As it is I wear the $30 One that I bought in France alot more because I like the style. I just wish I could find out where the company that made the hat is so I can buy another. It has a label in the liner that says "City Sport".

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I love newsboy or poorboy caps. I have three, two of them I got out of the J. Peterman cataloq (remember those?) and they are J. Richmond Irish made for J. Peterman caps, very nice. I paid about $75 apiece for them; they look like the one Matt is wearing in the photo. They do not have leather sweat bands. I am not sure I have ever seen one with a leather sweatband.

I just got a boiled wool camel colored cap off ebay, much cheaper and not constructed as nicely, but it looks good on me.

I don't wear it backwards like a lot of people, especially women, do. I like it rakish, tipped forward and a little to the side.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, the reason you have never seen a leather sweat band in a 4, 6, or 8 piece cap is because you haven’t seen a real vintage one! I have two of them and they date back to the late 20's or early 30's. I'm wearing one of them right now!

The modern ones can be nice but, nothing beats the real deal. The reason they can be so hard to find is that after they were worn out, they were thrown out! It would be nice to find a pile of them that were forgotten in a warehouse or something.

K.D., you wear your cap the right way!!! That’s how I wear mine! Cocked to the side. Now, if I were to fly an open cockpit bi-plane, I would turn it around, throw on some goggles and go barn storming! Now that’s a cool look as well!

Happy landings!

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe