Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cappellificio Cervo

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Cervo thing didnt really work out here in the USA. There was a lot of politcs involved and its better off the way it is. It is a shame though , as Cervo does make a nice hat. But the boys in Alessandria have a lot of clout in the headwear busines.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
The Cervo thing didnt really work out here in the USA. There was a lot of politcs involved and its better off the way it is. It is a shame though , as Cervo does make a nice hat. But the boys in Alessandria have a lot of clout in the headwear busines.

Your dad let me see one from the selection you were thinking about carrying. Quite nice! He actually called you asking for the price--you were in Spain--'cause I wanted to buy it!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I would love to start selling them. I think they are the closest manufacturer to Borsalino .But there are certain individulas who do not wish to see Cervos sold in the USA. They are available from a few retailers now but very limited. Perhaps next year will be different.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
How are Cervo and Bantam related?
Bantam used to make the officer, finest version of the Alpini (mountain troops) hat, which was (probably still is) called simply "a Bantam" by Alpini themselves.

PS
The Alpini hat is a not-so-distant relative of the american campaign hat; after being issued a bowler for decades, at the turn of the century (XIX-XX, obviously) Alpini began experimenting with other headgears, and, by general preference, they ended up choosing the campaign hat, only with open crown and relatively shorter (and fedora-styled) brim.

Last edited:
How are Cervo and Bantam related?
Bantam used to make the officer, finest version of the Alpini (mountain troops) hat, which was (probably still is) called simply "a Bantam" by Alpini themselves.

PS
The Alpini hat is a not-so-distant relative of the american campaign hat; after being issued a bowler for decades, at the turn of the century (XIX-XX, obviously) Alpini began experimenting with other headgears, and, by general preference, they ended up choosing the campaign hat, only with open crown and relatively shorter (and fedora-styled) brim.

I know Cervo still makes Alpini hats because I have a couple.

Side Note: TONAK (Czech Republic) is involved in making hats for other companies because I saw a Guerra on my factory visit.

Last edited:
Cappello Alpino repros that use a modern Super Bantam Welterweight by S/A Cervo / Italia.

6506973449_e70df9d5a9_b.jpg

6506974695_68d67356ea_b.jpg

6506975879_73acd83089_b.jpg

6507158281_7f2e0218ae_b.jpg

6507181279_5a367636c6_b.jpg

By the way here is an old Alpini Bombetta (bowler like hat mentioned by IW).

cianf_bombetta_2.jpg

http://www.glialpini.com/bombetta_900.html

Last edited:

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Greetings. I am pleased to own two Cervos--and one Cervo fashioned by Worth and Worth. I purchased my first circa 1997--a grey Cervo called "Viareggio." I then purchased a Worth and Worth "Siena" circa 1999, apparently produced by Cervo. Most recently, I purchased a Cervo from Delmonico--a chocolate brown Biella. Will attempt to post photos soon. I love each of these hats--they vary from quite soft to firm--but each is a piece of high quality. I hope we see more Cervos in the States soon. Thanks for creating this thread; I hope I might learn more from you guys about these wonderful hats.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Mayserwegener, if you want to have a lot of free drinking, wear one of those hats and come in Italy during one "former" Alpini reunion (there's no such thing as a "former Alpino", obviously... you are Alpino for life) :)

Alpini are noted for their drinking skills ;) and their reunions had the tendency to turn in massive feasts... they had one in my town some year ago and it was a thing to remember! :)

sorry for the OT ;)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Greetings. I am pleased to own two Cervos--and one Cervo fashioned by Worth and Worth. I purchased my first circa 1997--a grey Cervo called "Viareggio." I then purchased a Worth and Worth "Siena" circa 1999, apparently produced by Cervo. Most recently, I purchased a Cervo from Delmonico--a chocolate brown Biella. Will attempt to post photos soon. I love each of these hats--they vary from quite soft to firm--but each is a piece of high quality. I hope we see more Cervos in the States soon. Thanks for creating this thread; I hope I might learn more from you guys about these wonderful hats.

The Biella looks nice. I wanted it in gray but they won't have it until the summer [huh]

Cooperativa Cappellia (Cervo), Point size 6 1/2 (60cm, English size 7 3/8), made for the German market, from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Bad Homburg, Germany hat collection, probably late 1920s early 1930s. Not many examples of old Cervo and this the oldest.

24319270699_3f8fd89281_b.jpg

24396181490_ec9d0f9546_b.jpg

24064501413_0f3a083609_b.jpg

24391485410_e854157b90_b.jpg

24058667434_21aecd9bc1_b.jpg

24391303840_0bd5e23742_b.jpg

24319133239_16372dfd37_b.jpg

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Bulgarian Bantams

found some old postings:

Brown Bulgarian Bantam-Cervo
5258629654_5ba4e9d294_z.jpg

Turns out to be an Ultra-lite with thin edge binding. Felt is very much like a typical Borsalino "Alessandria".

Yet with a narrow (not thin) ribbon. Verrrry nice. I wish more hats came with such ribbons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld