Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas Sports Shoes

Burnsie

WildCelt said:
I've looked at PF Flyers online, but can't find a place that sells them locally. While I love my Chucks, the toe box is a bit narrow for me. Is it any wider on the PF Flyers?
I think the P F toe is shorter and wider - I just compared to a couple pairs of Chucks and they taper a bit more in the toe.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to get a pair, but it appears that this is yet another company that believes that everyone has a medium or "D" width foot. Alas, a foolish misconception that results in either turning away customers or forcing those who really want a pair to settle on a shoe that does not fit properly. I'll be one of those who have to turn away.

Bummer.

Tom

Cameo Carrier

New in Town
Fwiw, I LOVED mine. I can't find them at the corner store but there different from all the other greasers out there that wear the Chucks. I do think that there more comfortable too. They actually pre-date the Chucks and use to be made from the same rubber that B.F. Goodrich's were made of. Mine did squeek a little too though I will admit. Another tid bit of info from my mother was that at her high school in the early sixties they were standard issue given by the school for P.E. These are the ones that I had. I wore them till they fell off my foot. http://www.pfflyers.com/mens/center-hi.php?past-styles (The black and white ones)

jyeesf

New in Town
I'm a huge fan of the PF Flyer Center Hi's and Low's. Much higher quality than the Converse All-Stars and with arch support! Lots of places to order on the internet. Amazon has got them.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've got 4 pair of PF Center His that I picked up for a song. I'm slowly wearing each pair out, one at a time. My major beef is that they're about as sturdily built as All-Stars, which means not at all. The sole holds up, but the topmost rubber edging where the canvas meets the rubber splits where it flexes the most. It doesn't make the shoe unwearable, just looks unsightly.

I like them a lot more than Chucks, and evidently PF is now owned by New Balance, which itself is a great company. I just wish they'd offer as many traditional styles and colors as they do crazy/trendy finishes, patterns and colors.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just wait, they'll do an almost perfect repro, then price it at $120 for export only.

In other news, "PF Flier" (spelled that way) is now a brand of saxophone, marketed by a guy in Pennsylvania whose initials those are.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Looking for 1950's sneakers...

Hi folks! I normally wear the P.F. Flyers' Sandlot model seen below...
115971_366_45.jpg

Being now that P.F. has stopped making them, I'm having a hard time finding a shoe I like that looks vintage and isn't ungodly expensive.
Anyone got any suggestions of something in the like of the model shown above? Thanks!

Brett McKay

New in Town
Man, oh man do I want a pair of these shoes. These shoes look fantastic, but many are a bit out of my price range. Maybe they can be a Christmas present.

Brett McKay

New in Town
I've been meaning to get a new pair of Chuck's. The last time I bought a pair was in 2000. They cost me about $25. When I went to the store recently, I saw they're going for $50 and even $60! What happened?! I blame it completely on smug hipsters increasing the demand for Chucks. Damn you hipsters!

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I don't know if you're specifically looking for high tops or not, but I have a pair of Jack Purcell's I really like too (also by Converse).

He originally designed them for B.F. Goodrich in 1935.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Id personally go with the Colchesters, I'm wearing them right now! I live down the street from MyBabyJo, and I help out there. Colchesters are by far the best sneaker out there. Converse are flat and hurt peoples feet, Colchesters have arch support, and are a cool design. You'll have people guessing what they are every so often.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
The PF Flyers site lists the Sandlot model as being out of production. Luckily, I found a place online that still sells the Sandlot line of PF Flyers and bought another pair of them. :D
I don't like Converse... too much money for a bad quality shoe (plus it's Nike, yeesh).
Thanks for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe