Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I'm still in awe over Mary's three pairs of shoes :)
I need your opinon on these platform heels - do you think they're from the 1940's or the 1970's?

2312668268_8d3ee7d0f6.jpg

2312669046_c884a4ccfb.jpg

As you can see, they have sandal toes rather than the tiny peeptoes of the 40's, but then again I have seen more open sandals from the 40's on eBay.

Another thing that speaks against them being 40's is that they fit me (US size 9/UK 6/EU 39), which is rare for older shoes. The inner soles are too worn to show any printing. Overall they are very well made. I found them amongst some other stuff that was positively 1940's.

They're wonderful shoes regardless of the period but it would be fun to hear what you think (there's so much valuable information in this thread). Thanks!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lauren, thank you, you are such a great person to have on this board.

I was told these gloves are 20's, but I simply cannot figure out how they were worn, I can't imagine them with 20's clothing. Are they wedding gloves? Has anyone seen anything similar to this before?

2355807753_45ec78096f_o.jpg

2356641796_ee22696f75.jpg

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Can you lovely ladies help me date this dress and blouse?

I'm sorry for the quality of the pictures! I tried to take as many as I could to help you help me. :D

I bought this on Ebay a couple months ago but when it got here I saw that it was handmade! So now I'm not so sure if it is really 40s/50s. It's made out of rayon and the zipper says RBI.
dressfh4.jpg

dress2vd5.jpg

dress3zc1.jpg

Inside-out:
dress4hd1.jpg

I found this shirt at a thrift store lastyear but the tag was cut off, and that's a sort of stretchy fabric on the bottom hem.

shirtst4.jpg

shirt2bl4.jpg

shirt3ee0.jpg

This is one of the shoulder pads:
shirt4sd4.jpg

Inside-out:
shirt5gs3.jpg

ehappy

Familiar Face
I'm thinking those fab plats are 40's! Great score! I wouldn't give those up for the world...no way! I only have one pair of 40's plats and mine are size 5 (I wear size 8) and ultra pea green....lol

I'm not sure about the gloves.

The dress does appear to be 40's into early 50's with the small pintucking. How are the seams finished?

The yellow shirt screams 80's at first glance.

Sunny

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
I was told these gloves are 20's, but I simply cannot figure out how they were worn, I can't imagine them with 20's clothing. Are they wedding gloves? Has anyone seen anything similar to this before?

2356641796_ee22696f75.jpg
Laura, do these actually have fingers? To me, they look a lot more like some kind of wrist frill. I'm not quite so sure about the 1920s, but in the 1930s they had tons of frilly, frothy collar/jabot and cuff/frill accessories to dress up any frock. Just watch the first Thin Man movies to see Myrna Loy in a really outlandish example.

Tigerlily, that's a really classic shirtdress you've got there! I'm actually inclined more towards the later 1950s and into the 1960s. Partially that's because the style was so common then, and hung on for quite a few years. I've also really been keeping an eye on vintage patterns lately, and designs with pintucking or other beside-the-buttons trim are always from the late 1950s and 1960s. That's just my opinion, of course. Are those French seams in the skirt? Nice, and that makes it look like a 12-gored skirt; which is a hanger-on from the late 1930s and into the 1940s. But the vertical tucks really make me think it's later.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:
Tigerlily, that's a really classic shirtdress you've got there! I'm actually inclined more towards the later 1950s and into the 1960s. Partially that's because the style was so common then, and hung on for quite a few years. I've also really been keeping an eye on vintage patterns lately, and designs with pintucking or other beside-the-buttons trim are always from the late 1950s and 1960s. That's just my opinion, of course. Are those French seams in the skirt? Nice, and that makes it look like a 12-gored skirt; which is a hanger-on from the late 1930s and into the 1940s. But the vertical tucks really make me think it's later.

Also, the shape of the skirt to me screams a later date. I would also say later 50s. You said it had a zipper, Tigerlily - where is it? Is it in the front below the buttons or on the side?

ehappy

Familiar Face
You know, Sunny now that I look at it again, I'm inclined to go with the later date too...not to say that pintucks weren't used in 40's patterns because they were (here's an example)

3829f26.JPG

but now that I think about it I see that they're combined with more intricate styling/detailing than the simplicity of those later shirtdresses.

...and then the buttons are so sugary sweet 50's....yeah, I think you're right. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShrinkingViolet said:
I'm still in awe over Mary's three pairs of shoes :)
I need your opinon on these platform heels - do you think they're from the 1940's or the 1970's?

2312668268_8d3ee7d0f6.jpg

They look late 40s to me, and definitely 40s given the heel shape. Given the fact that the inside is so worn, I would lean toward assuming that they are an older item rather than one from the 70s.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:

The top, or what is the top in this picture, would go around the main part of the hand, up to where your fingers meet your hand. Thumb would go through the hole provided, and then it looks like they attach at the wrist.

I have no idea about the date, but I can definitely see how they are to be worn. Neat item!

These are modern, but pretty much the same concept, just without fingers:

G1205_200.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Kitty: Oh, yeah, sure, I've already worn them, but I just can't see what they were supposed to be worn with in the 20's. Like, which outfit they would go with.

Sunny: No fingers. I can better imagine them with a 30's outfit, yes. I just haven't seen an outfit with this kind of thing before, I will try and google for pics of Myrna Loy in Thin Man.

Shrinking Violet: Those shoes are so neat, where did you find those in Copehnagen?!

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Also, the shape of the skirt to me screams a later date. I would also say later 50s. You said it had a zipper, Tigerlily - where is it? Is it in the front below the buttons or on the side?
The zipper is on the left side just below the sleeve; it can be seen in the inside-out picture. :)

ehappy - I was thinking the shirt was 80s, too! Sometimes the 50s styles in the 80s confuse me though. :D

Sunny - Thank you so much for all that info! I was leaning toward late 50s just because of the buttons but I had no idea about the trim and vertical tucks!

Thanks ladies for your help! :eusa_clap

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Tigerlily said:
The zipper is on the left side just below the sleeve; it can be seen in the inside-out picture. :)

Hmmm that is confusing. Late 50s items rarely have side zips, though it's not unheard of. Just surprises me!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Hmmm that is confusing. Late 50s items rarely have side zips, though it's not unheard of. Just surprises me!

Well since it's homemade...I tend to think it still might into the 50's...if thats how someone -knew- how to put a zipper in, they would probably not switch to the back zipper quite as fast as manufactured clothes did, as well as possibly still making use of older patterns they had stockpiled with some subtle changes to 'update' them.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Well since it's homemade...I tend to think it still might into the 50's...if thats how someone -knew- how to put a zipper in, they would probably not switch to the back zipper quite as fast as manufactured clothes did, as well as possibly still making use of older patterns they had stockpiled with some subtle changes to 'update' them.
Besides, shirtdresses with real shirt collars can't have back zippers. The collar is in the way. I remember a lot of the 1980s dresses with back zippers had peter pan collars, which curved in at both back and front, allowing for a zipper. This style of shirtdress either uses both buttons and zipper, or buttons all the way down the front.

ehappy said:
You know, Sunny now that I look at it again, I'm inclined to go with the later date too...not to say that pintucks weren't used in 40's patterns because they were (here's an example)

3829f26.JPG

but now that I think about it I see that they're combined with more intricate styling/detailing than the simplicity of those later shirtdresses.

...and then the buttons are so sugary sweet 50's....yeah, I think you're right. :)

Ooh, that's a great example. Yes, 1940s shirtdresses (I'd date that one right at 1940!) seem a bit more intricate. Even without pleating, they're very likely to have yokes - straight, curved, or pointed, with or without gathering. That's not something I've really seen in later shirtdresses. Oh, and the sleeves. I think gathered sleeves like that one were popular both before and after the war; ungathered set-in sleeves were still a little longer than that, in general. This one has a slightly shorter look that fits in with the later shirtdresses.

Sunny

One Too Many
Tigerlily said:
Sunny - Thank you so much for all that info! I was leaning toward late 50s just because of the buttons but I had no idea about the trim and vertical tucks!

Thanks ladies for your help! :eusa_clap
Forgot to respond in my other! ;) You are very welcome; I'm glad to help. This was a little tricky because it is such a classic style. I just think I've trained my eye to recognize an overall look; then I can break it down to certain elements. Kind of like Lauren can date 1930s shoes. :D

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
You're welcome, Laura Chase! Thanks for the super nice compliment :eek:

Shrinking Violet, I'm also going late 40's on the shoes. Which are SUPER cute, btw!

Laura Chase, those are usually called either gauntlets or fingerless mitts, and are worn the way KittyT pictured them. Sunny got it spot on! Myrna Loy's the perfect example! Ruffles on gloves and pretty much everything else was all the rage in the 30's!

TigerLily, the shirtwaist is probably late 50's, judging by the length of the skirt and the styling. Especially the buttons and side zip make me thing 57 or later, though I admit I'm not expert on 50's stuff! The second dress has all the stylings of a late 30's dress, but with modern sewing I'm with the others in thinking it's 80's.

When looking at clothing, a good thing to keep in mind is the insides- serged edges and care tags (how to wash and care for a garment) are clues that it's a more modern piece. Also check your buttons and buttonholes. They'll help you figure out if it's newer.

(and who snuck in my pattern box and pulled out that pattern? Jk... but that's really in my pattern stash.. hehe... it's a Mccall from 40-41 if I'm not mistaken...)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Woohoo, I've got a pair of 40s heels in my size :cool:
Thanks a lot everybody! For some reason I had convinced myself that they were from the 70s.

Laura Chase said:
Shrinking Violet: Those shoes are so neat, where did you find those in Copehnagen?!

I found them at this dodgy flea market in a deserted part of Amager. Apparently the flea market gods were with me that day. I also found a copy of Situationist Times there, which is something I've been fantasizing about finding.
I wonder if those lace gloves could be part of a wedding outfit that someone has treasured as a keepsake?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
Woohoo, I've got a pair of 40s heels in my size :cool:
Thanks a lot everybody! For some reason I had convinced myself that they were from the 70s.

I found them at this dodgy flea market in a deserted part of Amager. Apparently the flea market gods were with me that day. I also found a copy of Situationist Times there, which is something I've been fantasizing about finding.
I wonder if those lace gloves could be part of a wedding outfit that someone has treasured as a keepsake?

You lucky you! Maybe I can get to see them tomorrow? ;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Looks like late 40's early 50's to me Laura. Could you possibly add a peplum to the back? Or perhaps a swag of fabric starting at the pocket detail, and draping across the back? I've seen many fancy dresses with all different swagged detailing. Worth a try, and you could just pin it on to see.
Great dress, and fits you beautifully.
Nikki

Nikki, what kind of fabric do you think the peplum or swag should be? I was thinking velvet like the details on the front because I probably can't find the same type of wool crepe anywhere anyway. But the peplum/swag solution would make the dress look more fancy. As it is now, it's more simple which I like.

I was thinking if maybe it would be a solution to replace the entire back part with velvet but I'm not a crafty seamstress so I'm too scared to try that, I already messed the dress up a little when I tried to mend the moth holes. :eusa_doh: :(

It hurts me to show this, but you can see my big bummer here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/2369051921_c8db0cd6d8.jpg

There were holes there already but I think I just made them worse...

I actually already posted about this here, I will bump that post in stead...

Smuterella

One Too Many
fantastic chartreuse green coat, picked up for £3.99 in a charity shop. It is bell shaped, with deep pockets, wide sleeves and big buttons. I'm thinking late 50's/early 60's.

It needs some care but nothing apart from a good clean.

The label reads Ascot Model, London

ignore the towel hanging behind it!

2008_03280002.jpg

2008_03280004.jpg

2008_03280003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe