Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you get new hats in Long Oval?

davers

New in Town
My new Stetson Firenze in 7 1/2 is tight on my forehead and has gaps on the sides. I've just read on the internets (so it must be true) that my head is then a long oval. Can you actually buy new hats in Long Oval? Or is this a thing of the past? I'm still on a Stetson kick and my google didn't return any hats in 7 1/2 Long Oval.. [huh]

Dave

job

One Too Many
Davers, I have a new Resistol straw that's long oval but I don't think there are felt hats made LO. Now you can steam the hat and stretch it on your knee or buy a hat stretcher to help make it better. It may get better on it's own after some use.

I have one Tesi straw with a leather sweatband that fits great but still has big gaps on the sides. Oh well.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I encounter long oval cowboy/western hats in the shelf once in awhile, but have yet to see a production fedora in a long oval.
There's always custom ordering, and every custom hatter (including Beaver Brand custom orders) will make a long oval for you.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, Stetson and Resistol westerns often cone in additional long oval variations, particularly the more popular styles. HatsDirect, DavidMorgan and Everything Australian ( if you'd like an Akubra) will, if asked, stretch your hat to long oval, with an obvious but slight delay in shipping.

You can always go custom, too.

Actually, Stetson and Resistol westerns often cone in additional long oval variations, particularly the more popular styles. HatsDirect, DavidMorgan and Everything Australian ( if you'd like an Akubra) will, if asked, stretch your hat to long oval, with an obvious but slight delay in shipping.

Alexander is correct. You won't see any new Stetson fedoras offered in Long Ovals, just their regular oval shapes. A hat jack will shape them right up.
I've ordered 4 new Akubra Campdrafts & had 1 done Long Oval from EA. Due to how they shape up, I won't waste time doing that again. They conform readily to my noggin.
Other Akubra models, Fed 4, Cattleman, Squatter, do as well.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have found that wearing and sweating in a regular oval will conform it, over time, to my long oval head.

Hey, Neo, how've you been?

I've been fine, thanks. Mostly lurking the past few months as I haven't purchased or won any new hats over the summer and I didn't want to keep posting pics of the same four hats.

DougC

Practically Family
I think I saw a video from David Morgan on how to make you hat a long oval and then ironing the brim flat again.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've been fine, thanks. Mostly lurking the past few months as I haven't purchased or won any new hats over the summer and I didn't want to keep posting pics of the same four hats.

I know what you mean on that front. I don't buy hats, for the most part, having a few that I love and wear all the time.

TipTop

Practically Family
I have purchased recently, new, long oval western straw (Atwood) and a BMW motorcycle helmet. Arai and HJC both offer long oval helmet models, but chances are, the bike shop clerk won't have a clue of what you are talking about. All other new hats or refurbs have been custom stretched to fit my Conformateur pattern.

And interesting--as I just discovered the other day--my Atwood straw is actually a 7 1/4 Long Oval, as opposed to my usual 7 3/8. That's what I get for tying something on without first worrying about the tag size. It is the BEST fitting hat I own. But, don't try this at home kids; you have to try them on.

15267492-md.jpg

job

One Too Many
You can usually stretch a hat up a full hat size without any problems. More than that and the ribbon pulls too tight and the crown and brim start to go wonky.

I steamed a 3x Stetson (LBJ style) in the crown area real good and then wore it around the house for awhile and it conformed to my head perfectly.
Essentially I re-blocked the hat on a living block.

MaricopaKid

New in Town
You can usually stretch a hat up a full hat size without any problems. More than that and the ribbon pulls too tight and the crown and brim start to go wonky.

I steamed a 3x Stetson (LBJ style) in the crown area real good and then wore it around the house for awhile and it conformed to my head perfectly.
Essentially I re-blocked the hat on a living block.

I did the same thing with my favorite Resistol years ago. My bride finally admitted that my blockhead was good for something.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many

I would like to add the shop that I work at to this list. http://DelMonicohatters.com

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe