Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can pigment finished leather (Real Mccoy's J100) be brown core?

long218

New in Town
Bought this J100 https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m76424896468 where the seller mention his was the old RMC model with brown core whereas the new version doesn't have brown core. I look on the RMC website and the "pigment finish" leather didn't mention brown/tea core. Other RMC resellers 50/50 on whether they mention it. Can someone please confirm if:
1. pigment finish leather can still be brown core?
2. If the current RMC J100 is brown core?

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
I have the latest version J100 (BJ19110 version) with the pigment finish, and the easiest way you can tell it has a brown core is to look at the leather zip pulls. Two tone black/brown zip pulls = brown core. Pure black pulls = black core. Also it's already showing brown at the seams and zipper areas.

I have a Real Mccoy's Nelson that is also pigment dyed that is already showing brown around the edges of cuff and hems.

Last edited:

cbez

One Too Many
your question doesnt make a lot of sense. Pigment can be thought of as 'paint' on the leather. Why couldn't you paint over brown?

that being said there are attractive teacores and meh teacores, and that is a little on the ugly side imo. Pigment teacores tend to be a little uglier in general, like paint chipping off a car. Aniline teacores usually look more attractive.

long218

New in Town
I have the latest version J100 (BJ19110 version) with the pigment finish, and the easiest way you can tell it has a brown core is to look at the leather zip pulls. Two tone black/brown zip pulls = brown core. Pure black pulls = black core. Also it's already showing brown at the seams and zipper areas.

I have a Real Mccoy's Nelson that is also pigment dyed that is already showing brown around the edges of cuff and hems.
Thank you. This is very helpful!

Last edited:

long218

New in Town
your question doesnt make a lot of sense. Pigment can be thought of as 'paint' on the leather. Why couldn't you paint over brown?

that being said there are attractive teacores and meh teacores, and that is a little on the ugly side imo. Pigment teacores tend to be a little uglier in general, like paint chipping off a car. Aniline teacores usually look more attractive.
tbh, I read this thread and everyone seemed confused: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pigment-black-horsehide.90570/

@cbez I do agree that there's better teacore. I got a Buyee Mercari 10% off coupon and wanted to see the hype behind TRM Buco jacket. I have an Iron Heart with Horween Chromexcel FQHH that doesn't fade in a paint-chip way. I see the same with the Aero FQHH jackets posted on here. I think it might be the Shinki leather itself/tanning process?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squash_fav