Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I taste that again?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Reading through this thread was fairly amusing for me, as I like and have always liked about 95% of the hated foods listed here. And I was still told I was a picky eater! :eek:

The only food I can think of, that I used to hate and now like is zucchini, and that changed quite a few years ago, when I was over at my friend's house for supper, and her mom fried them in a little butter, and sprinkled pepper on them, and I thought they were delicious. They're still not my favorite food in the world, but now I can handle them without complaint.

Two foods that I have always despised, and am sure to always hate are peppers and grits. Never got acclimated to the former, and the second looks like pig slop. That's an automatic appetite killer.

Barry

Practically Family
Kt Templar said:
Really takes getting used to.

I first learned about bitter melon at a little place called Pete's Diner on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. I probably had it before but never thought too much about what "that bitter taste" in my food was. The owner is Chinese (from Malaysia) and every day she serves a vegetarian plate. So amongst the fried food, burgers, hot dogs, fries and typical diner food you can get something healthy and unusual. I was eating my lunch and she came by and laughed and said "Barry I can tell from your face that you are eating the bitter melon. Do you like it?" It's an acquired taste for sure...

Barry

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MORE FOOD!!!

When I was a kid I had a strict list of foods I wouldn't go near. They were:

Ketchup
Mustard
Mayonaise
Onions
Jelly
Bananas
Pudding
Jello
Bell Peppers

Out of all of these I now like mustard (especially Chinese HOT HOT mustard!), mayo is ok, but I don't eat it because it's very fattening, and I now LOVE onions like you wouldn't believe! The others still make me gag a little when I see/smell them :eek:

I used to always have to put sugar in my hot tea, but I like it black these days. Maybe a lemon if I'm in the mood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21