Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

camptown # 21 Indy brown

J.B.

Practically Family
fatwoul said:
...the boxes look like...

...well, like they've been kicked by a gassy kangaroo. :D

emogrinyesfk7.gif

RBH

Bartender
These wide ribbons [the Camptown, '36 Fieldmaster ] are fast becoming my one of my favorites!
I hope we can get more photos of them, I am thinking I will have a
'36 Fieldmaster in my future!!
Even if you dont favor an Indy hat these look great.

fatwoul

Practically Family
RBH said:
These wide ribbons [the Camptown, '36 Fieldmaster ] are fast becoming my one of my favorites!

Well, you see that's why Fieldmasters are great - Ken's even said that, while the hat may appeal to Indy fans, it really isn't an Indy hat, but rather a hat that sums up a similar era. That's why I have asked for mine open crown, so I can see what bash suits both me and my hat, rather than just slavishly putting an Indy bash straight into it without thinking about it.

I do hope I can get my Camptown in time for my birthday, but I understand if that doesn't work out, all things considered. Here's hoping Ken and his family are doing OK. :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:

I think a 1936 Fieldmaster should be in your future.;) They;re hard to resist. The more and more I wear mine the more it becomes my favorite in my collection.

Cheers!

Dan

JerseyJones

Vendor
fatwoul said:
Well, you see that's why Fieldmasters are great - Ken's even said that, while the hat may appeal to Indy fans, it really isn't an Indy hat, but rather a hat that sums up a similar era. That's why I have asked for mine open crown, so I can see what bash suits both me and my hat, rather than just slavishly putting an Indy bash straight into it without thinking about it.

I do hope I can get my Camptown in time for my birthday, but I understand if that doesn't work out, all things considered. Here's hoping Ken and his family are doing OK. :)

Thanks to all for your kind words about the hats and your very kind and thoughtful words about my family at the moment. Getting a diagnosis of PDD is not easy, but with the outpouring of geniune concern and support from my extended family here and at COW and at Fedora Chronicles, it's much easier to bear.

I will be away with the family next week, and be back into order completion the week after. I am now using FedEx Ground which is helping get things where they need to be quicker than USPS.

I cannot say thank you enough to all of you.

Peace and Joy,

Ken

fatwoul

Practically Family
JerseyJones said:
I will be away with the family next week, and be back into order completion the week after. I am now using FedEx Ground which is helping get things where they need to be quicker than USPS.

I cannot say thank you enough to all of you.

Peace and Joy,

Ken

Despite being the newbie, I'm sure I can speak for everyone here in saying that while your thanks are appreciated, they aren't necessary. You're one of the good guys, and I know we all wish you the peaceful holiday you deserve. Just concentrate on making sure you all have a great time, and make sure to take a new picture of that grinny kid of yours in your Camptown.

On a more practical note, the FedEx shipping sounds good. I've always been a little scared of USPS (not because of the crazy mail man stereotype) because USPS parcels that arrive in England are, by default, handled by Royal Mail, or if you're really unlucky, Parcel <strike>Farce</strike> Force. A FedEx parcel will stay FedEx all the way. Much cooler.

Take care and speak soon, Ken.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Bump...

So, are there any new Fieldmaster owners out there that which to show off their lid? Do any of the current owners have any updated images of their Fieldmaster to show off how it is now breaking in?

Here is mine after about 2 1/2 years.
100_1062.jpg

100_1066.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The Fieldmaster on Mt. St. Helens hike. Made it to the rim. What a great trip.

The first is about half way up.
100_5084.jpg

The second is at the rim of the volcano. Even up there is was warm out, but at least there was a breeze and the remaining snow made it a lot cooler up there than down at camp. That kid Zack was so elated that he made it up there, so was his Dad. The snow behind us is the cornice that is clinging to the rim. You didn't want to step out on that. It wouldn't end well.
100_5088-1.jpg

I think we'll do that one again next year. My brother-in-law will be doing Mt. Adams to the east of Mt. St. Helens around this August or September. Might have to try that one next year as well.

Here is one that gives you an idea of how steep the climb and decent is. This is a little over half way up & I had to stop to grab a bite to eat. The body spoke & I was getting a little dizzy at that point, so a nutrition bar & a couple of shot blocks later I was good to go.
100_5067.jpg

The classic hat shadow. I couldn't resist.
100_5070.jpg

And classic exhaustion & thirst. This one is up on the rim looking south. Mt. Hood is just barely peeking out behind my hat to the left & Mt. Jefferson is back there over my shoulder to the right.
100_5092.jpg

Five years & going for the 1936 Fieldmaster & going.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Lefty! Yeah, the hat on the stick was a resting point for me. It was a nice shady spot so I took off the hat to air out the noggin a bit. Perfect spot to hang ones hat.

Cheers!

Dan

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Now those are amazing pictures, of both your mountain climb and the Camptown Fieldmaster itself! It appears to be in good condition after all of those five years. How often, would you say, that you actually wear the hat?

fenris

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Yours just had a dent? Mine looked like it was hit by a mortar round! Somebody at the post office doesn't like boxes from australia!

Funny how a lot of you have experienced hat boxes being dented up and squashed. I've never had that experience. The boxed of hats that were shipped to me were not bashed up in anyway... but I never ordered from a hattery, only from an individual.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
Now those are amazing pictures, of both your mountain climb and the Camptown Fieldmaster itself! It appears to be in good condition after all of those five years. How often, would you say, that you actually wear the hat?

Thanks JB! It's my regular go to outdoor hat. I like to rotate my hats on a regular basis, and according to what I'm wearing on a given day, but I'd say this is my 80% hat. If it is an outdoor adventure like this one, it'll be on my noggin.

As far as boxes being smashed, I did have a Camptown box that had it's corner almost sheared off during delivery. Fortunately the box was super sturdy and the hat inside was fine.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust