Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camera Suggestions needed!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I know somebody who has the Pentax of which Edward speaks. I can recommend that camera. It's compact, not terribly expensive, takes a sharp picture and has great light sensitivity.

My daughter has an older model Casio Exslim that I really like. Takes a good image without much CCD noise.

I have a Fuji FinePix F450 that I've used for a number of years now. It's a good camera, but the image is very noisy. I have to do some post processing to get decent pictures. I can't recommend it.

A lot of folks have suggested the Cannon Elf line. I've never owned one, but they have a very good reputation.

Just my 2¢. Good luck.

Mark

Edward

Bartender
adamjaskie said:
I suggest, if possible, finding a camera that takes some kind of standard battery rather than a proprietary battery pack. One thing I LOVED about my Canon Powershot A75 was that it used AA batteries. I usually ran with rechargeables, and had a spare set on me if I was going to be taking a lot of pictures, but it was great to be able to pick up a pack of Duracells at a gas station in a pinch.

I agree, though i guess this is where one convenience can outwiegh another. The proprietary batteries can be a pain, but on the other hand their size and shape - typically a small, thin cuboid shape, does allow for the camera to be that much thinner than an AA or, at a push, an AAA. On balance, I've decided that for me the best route is to go with the thinner camera rather than the more convenient battery type - though I do plan to also acquire a spare battery for the camera. Once or twice I've had the proprietary battery in my existing camera go flat on me when I wasn't expecting it - I ended up using the one in my phone on those occasions. Now, my phone cam is 3.2MP and doesn'tg take bad shots, but still.... the small investment in an extra battery will be well worth it.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Edward said:
I agree, though i guess this is where one convenience can outwiegh another. The proprietary batteries can be a pain, but on the other hand their size and shape - typically a small, thin cuboid shape, does allow for the camera to be that much thinner than an AA or, at a push, an AAA. On balance, I've decided that for me the best route is to go with the thinner camera rather than the more convenient battery type - though I do plan to also acquire a spare battery for the camera. Once or twice I've had the proprietary battery in my existing camera go flat on me when I wasn't expecting it - I ended up using the one in my phone on those occasions. Now, my phone cam is 3.2MP and doesn'tg take bad shots, but still.... the small investment in an extra battery will be well worth it.

Agreed. AA and AAA make afor a bigger camera. I have a spare battery. I just swap and charge.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
update: i've been super busy and so i haven't gone shopping yet! i did research all the suggestions online and have a list to take with me. i'm going this week - possibly tomorrow! i'm VERY excited. thanks for helping me make an education decision! i really didn't want to go to the store, pick up a camera, and decide OMG I WANT THIS ONE! which is what i did last time ;)

i'll let y'all know what i end up getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe