Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying A Digital Camera? Here's Help.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
So many of us use digital cameras to photograph our collections and share the images that they have become an important part of The Fedora Lounge, it seems. In many posts I read "I've got to get a digital camera."

But the process of finding the right one can be intimidating.
I have no connection to this web site at all, but found it very helpful when I was shopping a year or so ago. Just about every camera on the market is reviewed, rated and there are best-price links.
YMMV.
Steves Digicams.
Bartender - if this is inappropriate, feel free to delete. :p

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
So many of us use digital cameras to photograph our collections and share the images that they have become an important part of The Fedora Lounge, it seems. In many posts I read "I've got to get a digital camera."

I have no connection to this web site at all, but found it very helpful when I was shopping a year or so ago. Just about every camera on the market is reviewed, rated and there are best-price links.
YMMV.
Steves Digicams.

I know you aren't going to believe this, but just this morning I began to look for info a buying a digital camera for my wife for our anniversary, lo and behold I see your post! Mysterious ways, indeed! Can't thank you enough!

dean

Daisy Buchanan

Thank You so much Scotrace! I just found out that I am getting a digital camera for my birthday, and my parents decided, rather than do the research themselves, that it would be better if I did the research and picked one. So much for the element of birthday present surprise! They have always told me that I should work for everything I get! So I guess this is their way of putting me to work. At least I'll be getting exactly what I need in a camera, which is important.
This site is incredibly useful and is gonna save me a lot of time. Thank you!

Lord Jagged

New in Town
My 2 cents worth...

I'm a self-confessed gadget addict and I've had a few very high speck digital cameras over the last few years. Apart from holidays they spend their lives sitting in a draw at home. That said I now take pictures almost every day and I actively look for something to "snap". What changed? Well for me the thing wasn't a newer or more powerful digital camera - it was a mobile phone with a decent pixel count. I liked the Nokia N70 I got last year as my "free" upgrade so much that I upgraded phone this time with a camera upper most in my mind. My Nokia N73 has a 2.3 megapixel camera and whilst that's not awesome by today's standards - it pretty good and is absolutely always with me.

If you're buying a camera I urge you to consider whether you will take it with you. Maybe a "camera phone" will be a good compromise for other loungers?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Good idea, one never knows when one will see a UFO,...or Elvis.
I'd like to find a little pocket sized camera for such occasions.

I am never without a camera of some sorts....walking the dog, riding my bike, heck, even out to a bar. Is there some sort of phobia about a fear of missing a photo op?

Twitch

One thing I've found is that unless you plan to do quite a bit of zooming in and cropping segments of huge images you can get along fine with less megapixels. And that goes for image size too. You don't need to size your images at 2500 X 1800 for "snapshots." 4.0 megapixels is adequate for the average shooter and is way less $$ than the new, new 8.0 ones:)

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Is BIGGER better?

For many years I used an Olympus OM-1 35MM camera and assorted lenses. I got some beautiful pictures, but my neck suffered from carrying that weight around. When I "went digital" I purchased an Olympus D-40 (4.0 MP) and my world changed. It delivers outstanding images - 8X10s? - no problem, and I carry it around in a case on my belt! Then I bought a Canon 300D for the convenience of different lenses and filters. Both have their own function, but the smaller camera goes virtually everywhere with me and I've got some great pictures. As far as megapixals, get what is going to work for you.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Grrr...

Well, I'm off Canon products for life!

My Powershot A610 stopped working aboard the QM. Suddenly, the lens wouldn't extend when turned on, and it just made this NOISE (ask anyone!).
Under warranty, I sent it to the repair center.
Thay are now saying it is "dented" and are therefore charging me $113 for the repair! It was never dropped or damaged and the dented business is dubious. I am now deciding whether to say "keep it" and just go get something else, or pony up the cash. This makes me NUTS.

SPINACH!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Unfortunately, most digital cameras under the multi-hundred dollar mark (maybe $500 and up) are basically disposable. That really hurts!

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:

YMMV.
Steves Digicams.

There are some great reviews on SD but i find the updates are few and far between. Be sure and check out DP Review. They have a lot of current camera news and reviews.

However, as a rule of thumb I think if you’re looking for a point and shoot Sony really has the market cornered. With great optics by Carl Zeiss and Sony’s battery life, these cameras can’t loose.

If you looking for something a little better take a look in the ‘pro-sumer” market. The Nikon D40 is a great entry into the DSLR territory and the Nikon D200 will cover the needs of almost anyone here.

For those of you in the print biz you will need something from the high end cannons. I don’t have much experience with these but all the real professionals swear by them. But not wroth the 8 – 10k price range in my book.

Barry

Practically Family
I'm "re-learning" photography on a Nikon DSLR.

I ordered a copy of Langford's "Basic Photography." I think it should be helpful.

Barry

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Barry said:
I'm "re-learning" photography on a Nikon DSLR.

I ordered a copy of Langford's "Basic Photography." I think it should be helpful.

Barry

the school near me offers summer photography workshops. i have been thinking of taking one for some time now.

Barry

Practically Family
I did sign up for some classes at a local federal government school. It's well known for good but relatively inexpensive classes.

There is also the Corcoran School of Art but I'm pretty sure the classes might be somewhat more expensive.

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
i have never owned a digital camera over $200 . i say if the camera you're looking at is over 200 its more than you need. also the way things are shaping up down here most of the cameras i've seen in the 150 - 200 dollar range have been six megapixels 3x optical zoom 4x digital zoom and they take 2 double A batteries. all in all a pretty nice camera that 2 years ago would have cost about 5-6 hundred dollars which is what my dad owns. i think his was like 3-4 hundred though. anyway i'd go and ask the guys at the electronics storewhat kind of camera you'd need for what you want to do.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
new buy

I have just won/bought a new digital SLR camera from ebay for £200.00. it is a nikon d70.I also won/bought a lens,a nikon 18-55mm AF lens for about £50.00.i am still trying to learn things about it.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe