Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a 1950's Wardrobe: The Basics FOR MEN?

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
OldSoul said:
I think my best bet is getting one off of a site like My Baby Jo so I have the best chance of getting something that fits.

Here is my word on men's reproduction vintage:
If you go to ANY larger vintage events, don't buy the flashy stuff. It will seem like a good idea at the time, but honestly, those rockin' pink argyle jackets stand out in a crowd; so if two guys in the crowd are wearing them, it is very obvious. At the big rockabilly events, I've seen lots of situations with three, four or more guys wearing the identically ricky or pants - or both! If you don't go to large events, buy what you like. If you go for the basics, you will still stand out as being well dressed, but even in the event someone should be wearing the same jacket - well, a black rick is a black rick!

And, as for the costumey thing - which I did find little argumentative - if you're here to wear hats and dress vintage, you don't look like the average Joe (or Jane) on the street. Some people may not understand, and those people may consider it costumey, or at least eccentric. If they do, it is because they simply don't know any better. Those who recognize good style and taste will "get it."

And I LOVE guys in Ricky Jackets. Almost as much as I like them in two-tone Hollywood jackets. Give me a guy in gab pants, a well-cut jacket and loop collar shirt anyday.

(P.S. I have met Resortes805 and know Guttersnipe well. I think they are two of the sharpest dressers I've ever met!)

OldSoul

Familiar Face
pdxvintagette, lucky for me I'm not a 'flashy colors' kinda guy! I don't go to any 'big event's either (not a big rockabilly fan really). I like the look Guttersnipe has going, looks casual and classy.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
I got a pair of pants at Marks Work Warehouse, not sure if these stores are Canadian only or...?

Either way, they have a very vintage, pleated, thin belt loops, sturdy high quality work pants that have a pretty 50's appeal to them :) and at just over $20, I am not complaining at all! I'd take a photo...but it appears my roomate's friends may have stolen my camera...:mad:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have experience with Aero Leather's Ricky Jackets? They're awfully pricey, but if the quality is near where the A2 guys claim their leather gear is, it might be worth it at some point.

Also, while I like the Ricky Jackets, and Rockabilly music for that matter, I'm not really "a Rockabilly." Does anyone have any pictures of guys over 35 wearing those jackets back then? Maybe with a necktie and a fedora?

-Dave

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Also a simple short bomber jacket in leather. Timeless and useful for a great deal of the year. Works with nice slacks or jeans and a t shirt.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pdxvintagette said:
Here is my word on men's reproduction vintage:
If you go to ANY larger vintage events, don't buy the flashy stuff. It will seem like a good idea at the time, but honestly, those rockin' pink argyle jackets stand out in a crowd; so if two guys in the crowd are wearing them, it is very obvious. At the big rockabilly events, I've seen lots of situations with three, four or more guys wearing the identically ricky or pants - or both!
Agreed. If you buy something at a weekender, DON'T wear it at the weekender! I'm a sucker for those crazy colors and patterns, so when I do buy them, I wait til I'm home to wear them. Trust me, there ain't nobody here in Palookaville wearing pink and black argyle shirts at the local bar!

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Question about the Lakeland (and perhaps similar style) 'Clicker' jackets,

when did they first become available? I love these jackets, I've been watching Ebay in hopes of catching a deal on an original, but the dang things usually get up pretty high before bidding ends. I'm also worried about getting one that won't fit well, I'm 6'4" 240lbs so I rarely buy clothes online, as I'm worried about sizing.

Oh, in my previous post I mentioned I found nice work-style pants @ Marks Work Warehouse, but I forgot to mention which ones they are (dumb me) They are, in fact, Mark's brand and are usually right beside the Dickies, just in case someone wants to go take a look @ 'em.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
AnatomyofaMurder.jpg

Hard to believe this is 1959, eh? Of course, the film is set in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, so things may be deliberately a bit "behind the times." Nevertheless, this is more what I had in mind when I began this thread, yet I haven't heard much discussion of this type of clothing.

-Dave

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OldSoul said:
Question about the Lakeland (and perhaps similar style) 'Clicker' jackets,

when did they first become available? I love these jackets, I've been watching Ebay in hopes of catching a deal on an original, but the dang things usually get up pretty high before bidding ends. I'm also worried about getting one that won't fit well, I'm 6'4" 240lbs so I rarely buy clothes online, as I'm worried about sizing.
Clicker Jackets are from the mid 50's, but I'm sure similar ones date earlier. I got several before the prices went crazy. My Baby Jo makes a pretty decent (but pricey) repro in all sizes.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
flat-top said:
Clicker Jackets are from the mid 50's, but I'm sure similar ones date earlier. I got several before the prices went crazy. My Baby Jo makes a pretty decent (but pricey) repro in all sizes.

Hey, thanks flat-top!

My Baby Jo is indeed expensive, but I have a buddy who bought one from them and they are quality jackets. What about Greenspan's? I see they also have Clickers, and they cost quite a bit less. I wonder if they are of an equal (or perhaps higher) quality? [huh]

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Found this photo today, circa 1953. Guy on the right in a 'clicker' style jacket (I don't think Lakeland made button-up style ones, so I am unsure of brand)

fredsteele.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
AnatomyofaMurder.jpg

Hard to believe this is 1959, eh?
-Dave

Hardly. see the shape of the lapels? Thin lapels came back into fashion in the late 1950's. In addition to atomic fleck, tweedy, flecked, "Salt and Pepper" fabrics were also popular, especially for sport coats.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
I went to Value Village tonight (thrift store) and scored an original, unworn 50's Ford mechanic uniform, pants and jacket with the name patch reading "Eddie"

They still have paper tags stapled to the inside, paid the grand total sum of $10 and was on my way.

The bad news is they are way to small for me haha, but that's ok cause my buddy Matt will gladly take them off my hands, and I'm a GM guy anyways ;)

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
OldSoul said:
Hey, thanks flat-top!

My Baby Jo is indeed expensive, but I have a buddy who bought one from them and they are quality jackets. What about Greenspan's? I see they also have Clickers, and they cost quite a bit less. I wonder if they are of an equal (or perhaps higher) quality? [huh]

Old Soul,
I own a two MyBabyJo Clickers, one in Chocolate, and one in Camel. Compared to the Greenspan's Clicker, they didn't leave out Serge Edges, Full Insulation, a leather locker loop, Adjustable side tabs, real shoulders and sleeves(eliminates the bell shape), a zipper, armpit reinforcement, and a full roll up collar for those cold nights. It is worth the price, I wouldn't have bought two if they weren't good. Not only are they great for casual events, they are excellent for more formal wear, they look and fit excellent over a suit. They are very classy and versatile. Ill post some pictures very soon.
CKD21

MisterGrey

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
Hardly. see the shape of the lapels? Thin lapels came back into fashion in the late 1950's. In addition to atomic fleck, tweedy, flecked, "Salt and Pepper" fabrics were also popular, especially for sport coats.

Not to be presumptuous, but when Dave said "Hard to believe this is 1959" he was referring to the fact that, sans-hat, the outfit wouldn't be at all out of place in 2009, 50 years later.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Hmmmmm...I thought he was referring to the image appearing to be from a date prior to 1959. Otherwise, why mention that the filmmakers deliberately made things look a bit "behind the times?"

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
MisterGrey said:
Not to be presumptuous, but when Dave said "Hard to believe this is 1959" he was referring to the fact that, sans-hat, the outfit wouldn't be at all out of place in 2009, 50 years later.

resortes805 said:
Hmmmmm...I thought he was referring to the image appearing to be from a date prior to 1959. Otherwise, why mention that the filmmakers deliberately made things look a bit "behind the times?"

Wow, I've never felt quite so deconstructed. :D

I actually did mean that I thought the image (aside from the lapels, I guess, but I never was good at noticing lapel width) looked more like 1954 or earlier than nearly 1960. When I think of 1959 I think of stingy brims and shark-skin 2-piece suits. Of course, that's 1959 as seen through a 21st Century lens.

Really though, if you ever find yourself in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, things really do feel about five years behind the rest of the world. I'm sure the contrast would be even more acute coming from one of the coasts, as we're probably five years behind California and New York fashion-wise.

But I digress...

I love Paul Biegler's look, it's more or less how I dress day-to-day.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe