Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brylcreem

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Getting a Brill 'wet look' with BrylCream :)

TWO ways that I have tried:

1. Wet hair and towel dry > Sweet Georgia Brown Hair Pomade (thanks Salv! the scent of this 'is to die for' ), just three fingers from each hand rested in the pomade until the warmth softens it and you wax those fingers > they comb your fingers through your hair (I tend to go deep against the grain of the hair) > then brush into place > a glass marble sized ball of 'wet look' Brylcream rubbed evenly into both hands and run over the surface of the hair for that 'slick/wet' look.

2. Wet hair and towel dry > half a golf ball blob of wet look Brylcream > rub into palms of both hands and comb with your fingers/hands into the hair > brush into place (and can always put another small amount onto the palms to gloss the surface).

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
I use Brylcreem which I like despite memories of my dad putting far too much on me when I went to sunday school as a boy and when it dried it was like a crash helmet. How about that, eh? crash helmet in a jar how handy!:D :D :D

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
charlie farley said:
I use Brylcreem which I like despite memories of my dad putting far too much on me when I went to sunday school as a boy and when it dried it was like a crash helmet. How about that, eh? crash helmet in a jar how handy!:D :D :D

No kidding? That seemed to be my problem with the pomade. The brylcreem seems to stay "wet" and keeps my hair more or less greasy.

pplepic

Familiar Face
A little Dab'll do ya

They also used to sing, "A little dab'll do ya, use more only if you dare."
I dared—back in the 40's when I believe Brylcreme was rather new. My hair was something like a roll of baling wire and would constantly snap back into the form it had taken on during the night. The Brylcreme didn't help attract girls, I'm afraid, and certainly none ever ran her dainty fingers through my hair. Later I went to Alberto VO5 for a while, but these days, my hair, thank God, seems more manageble and I just wash it and tuck it under my fedora.
At my age who cares?lol

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
I use Vitalis hair tonic and it gives me a wet look while not being too greasy. In fact all that comes of on my hand when I touch it is the scent, which is great.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
If you really want a wetlook to end all wet-looks and stay that way till you wash your hair, get yourself a can of "Royal Crown" Hairdressing.

I use this stuff to cut the stiffness of my regular pomade and there is no better product to give you long lasting SHINE!!! RC has olive oil in it... I didn't like the scent at 1st, but now I'm used to it and it fades quickly.. and it's only a couple of bucks for a can!! GET SLICK AND Start your day out Right!!

l_e5e5daf308de38304f3e3ed2d3bd14ff.jpg

flat-top

I've adopted the shiny, slicked down look recently. My hair's really long now, so I need to shower to get it thoroughly wet, then I put on some Sweet Georgia Brown (blue can) and comb it through, which can be tough.
Then I smooth the whole thing over with a military brush.
It stays tight and shiny all day.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Luke 42 said:
But one question: You don't put Pomade in your hair when you wear a hat, do you? That's the only problem I have..if I use Pomade, I need about two days to wash it out properly and in that time I can't wear my hat because I don't want it to get greasy..
How do you guys handle that problem?

Lukas

Good question the guys in the 1930s/40s must have been cleaning their hats every time they took them off 'cause you see vintage hats which weren't badly soiled.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
flat-top said:
I've adopted the shiny, slicked down look recently. My hair's really long now, so I need to shower to get it thoroughly wet, then I put on some Sweet Georgia Brown (blue can) and comb it through, which can be tough.
Then I smooth the whole thing over with a military brush.
It stays tight and shiny all day.

Hey Flat-Top what kind of miltary brush are you using?? I recently purchased one from Duluth trading... but the bristles are not stiff enough to get through my longer hair on top, especially with the pomade in. I keep seeing the ebay Kent brush deals... maybe that's the way to go

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I've been using some sort of hair dressing every single day, for about 25 years.

I have about 10 cans of various brands of pomade....but I don't use pomade every day.

What I do use, without fail is Brylcreem.

I usually keep my hair short, combed over just like Clooney, so Brylcreem is perfect for a clean, just groomed Mad Men look. Sometimes I use pomade, and it looks good at first, but as the day goes on, it looses it's luster and ends up looking thick and dirty.

With brylcreem I can take it to work, and if I need a touch up, I can wet my hair and reapply without all the fuss pomade requires. Even if I don't take it to work, just rewetting my hair in the bathroom reactivates it and it combs over great.

I love my pomades, but I must admit, most people don't take well to the fragrance. Brylcreem seems to be more neutral, even though it does have that characteristic smell that hasn't changed in decades :)

flat-top

brylcreem boy said:
Hey Flat-Top what kind of miltary brush are you using?? I recently purchased one from Duluth trading... but the bristles are not stiff enough to get through my longer hair on top, especially with the pomade in. I keep seeing the ebay Kent brush deals... maybe that's the way to go
It's actually a cheap no-name brush!
Try it when your hair is still damp right after the pomade has been combed through.

Ray George

New in Town
Brylcreem & Shampooing

I've been using Brylcreem for the past two or three weeks now, and have noticed that it seems exceptionally difficut to shampoo out of my hair.

I've noticed I've had to use a lot more of my shampoo, and it's very difficult to work up a good lather.

Anyone else notice this about Brylcreem?

Any suggestions of shampoos that remove these mineral oil based hair grooms?

Other than shampooing twice, of course...

anon`

One Too Many
Yes, but you know how shampoo bottles usually say something like "lather, rinse, repeat"? Do the repeat part.

Seriously. I can dump copious amounts of Brylcreem into my hair (which is maybe 5-6" long on top and tapered below that currently, straight, coarse and quite thick) and then go hunting for a week. Upon my return to civilisation, a fairly large dollop of shampoo followed by a second lather with even the tiniest amount of shampoo will lather up incredibly well and make my hair poofy-clean (obnoxious as hell, BTW) and clear of any trace of Brylcreem that I can notice.

But you're right: the first round of shampoo, no matter how much I use, will not lather at all. The second, no matter how little I use, lathers like a rabid dog ;)

Weston

A-List Customer
When my hair is longer in the winter months, I use a lot of Brylcreem. I've not had any problems shampooing it out, and I use Suave now, as its inexpensive.

Heather

Practically Family
Moderators-feel free to love this if there's a better place for it. I did a search but came up empty handed. My husband wants brilcreem. So far I've only had the chance to check hannafords. Next step will be rite aid and CVS. I'd rather not order online if I can avoid it. Are there any users of this? Any suggestions on other stores that may carry it? Their site wasn't very helpful in the way of a store locator. Tia! Appreciate any suggestions!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Heather said:
Moderators-feel free to love this if there's a better place for it. I did a search but came up empty handed. My husband wants brilcreem. So far I've only had the chance to check hannafords. Next step will be rite aid and CVS. I'd rather not order online if I can avoid it. Are there any users of this? Any suggestions on other stores that may carry it? Their site wasn't very helpful in the way of a store locator. Tia! Appreciate any suggestions!

Sorry don't know where you are in the world but if you're in the Commonwealth you'll find it in most chemists and supermarkets.

Good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld