Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bruce got the juice - Bruce Willis' Jacket

dr greg

One Too Many
the look

Having started this, I should weigh in again, it looks to me like
A: Bruce has got an original old jacket,
B: this other guy probably whipped up a few copies that would pass muster on stand-ins and stuntmen but not in CLOSE UP, so he can claim to have made 'the surrogate jacket' as a slightly exaggerated but common sales technique,
C: the possibility exists that the HERO jacket as they say, was made to order by the maker FROM VINTAGE LEATHER, which would explain it's undeniable authentic patina.
That should cover all angles...what I want to know is..because it's not readily apparent to me from his website...what does one cost?
It might make far more sense to look for the "real thing" on the bay, they do turn up....

Seb Lucas said:
For those who think it is Vintage, a challenge. Find one exactly the same.

Hmmm, well that's quite a challenge and might reveal quite a lack of understanding of the nature vintage clothing. It is extremely rare to even find doubles of neckties, let alone garments like jackets. I have one that's extremely similar, but slightly different, for sale in classifieds right now. This is as one would expect from vintage clothing - close but not the same.

I think that, outside of militaria, i've seen only one example of two jackets that are exactly the same sty;e as each other. They are the weird super high halfbelt jackets currently being discussed in a thread near the top of Outerwear. And they show very different wear.

I don't know where the "allegedly taken at Nowak's shop" images came from, but these are not the same jacket. It is clear from the photos that no-one could claim they are. The wonder of a unique wear pattern, and zippers.

IMG_0699.jpg

surrogates-001.jpg

bk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I get where you're coming from, Baron.

I have collected leather jackets, vintage and modern, for 30 years. So I'm not an idiot.

But, it should be possible, no matter what the challenges to identify it.

Look at the shoulders of the film used jacket - they are not period. In each shot they look wide - modern cut - not vintage.

But I could be wrong...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Seb Lucas said:
I get where you're coming from, Baron.

I have collected leather jackets, vintage and modern, for 30 years. So I'm not an idiot.

But, it should be possible, no matter what the challenges to identify it.

Look at the shoulders of the film used jacket - they are not period. In each shot they look wide - modern cut - not vintage.

But I could be wrong...

If you think the shoulders are wide, look at the sleeve length.
Maybe he has proportionately short arms for a six footer,
or maybe the jacket has long sleeves.

Someone on the FL must know what make and model that jacket is...

B
T

Seb Lucas said:

But I could be wrong...

If someone wears a jacket whose shoulders are too wide for them, the shoulders will appear wide. [huh] I don't see what width of shoulders has to do with it, and i certainly don't see what width of shoulders can possibly tell about the vintage of a leather jacket. Construction of shoulders, now that's a different matter. But width? I've seen 'em all over the place.

bk

BellyTank said:
If you think the shoulders are wide, look at the sleeve length.
Maybe he has proportionately short arms for a six footer,
or maybe the jacket has long sleeves.

Maybe the jacket's just too big for him, shoulder/arm wise.

Re: make and model i think you're on a hiding to nothing; it's pretty generic. Certainly the mail order catalogues of various stores were offering this style.

bk

tonypaj

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
If someone wears a jacket whose shoulders are too wide for them, the shoulders will appear wide. [huh] I don't see what width of shoulders has to do with it, and i certainly don't see what width of shoulders can possibly tell about the vintage of a leather jacket. Construction of shoulders, now that's a different matter. But width? I've seen 'em all over the place.

bk

Hmmm, in this particular jacket the sleeves are too long. If the shoulders were not as wide, possibly the sleeves would be the right length. Then again the chest does not appear too big. And on and on we go.

To me it looks like a perfectly nice jacket where someone has added cuffs. But then again, I know nothing about vintage stuff, I'm a total layman, I just wear whatever I like, vintage or not.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't know where the "allegedly taken at Nowak's shop" images came from, but these are not the same jacket. It is clear from the photos that no-one could claim they are. The wonder of a unique wear pattern, and zippers.

NOT ME...

Alleged assertions regarding the repro jacket

"Here's some pictures of the jacket at Tony's shop. Tony's given me permission to post them. S*** I'm fat. Leather is cowhide. The Indy 747 cowhide leather is similar with a different color. Lining is cotton. Fairly thick."

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Carlisle Blues said:
NOT ME...

Alleged assertions regarding the repro jacket

"Here's some pictures of the jacket at Tony's shop. Tony's given me permission to post them. S*** I'm fat. Leather is cowhide. The Indy 747 cowhide leather is similar with a different color. Lining is cotton. Fairly thick."

And was the assertion of whoever took the images that this was the jacket that Bruce willis wore in the film, and in all the photographs of Bruce Willis above?

bk

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
And was the assertion of whoever took the images that this was the jacket that Bruce willis wore in the film, and in all the photographs of Bruce Willis above?

bk

Yes Baron the quote in my post is what that gentleman has stated.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Yes Baron the quote in my post is what that gentleman has stated.

That gentleman is right, he is fat. Apart from that, I trust that there were many jackets. At least there are pictures of many jackets. As in different jackets to one another.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Re: make and model i think you're on a hiding to nothing; it's pretty generic. Certainly the mail order catalogues of various stores were offering this style.

bk

Yes, it was a popular style, that's why I thought someone would recognise it as Sears,
Hercules, Californian, Wards, etc.
Just to then be able to find and compare some other examples.

B
T

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
While I have owned (contemporary) leather jackets, I've never been in awe of them. And while I can understand the passion others have about leather jackets, or any type of clothing, to me this looks like an old, beaten up leather jacket.

Now, if I could get my hands on an original version of the coat worn by Richard E. Grant in Withnail & I, or afford a copy from costume designer Andrea Galer, THAT I would be interested in..... pics to follow

http://www.withnail-links.com/merchandise-coat.htm

4410512375_429f9b0c16_m.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
tonypaj said:
Now this is close to a perfect thread, one cannot but love the combination of a cyberfight and a non sequitur...

I see a spirited discussion about leather jackets, not a cyberfight!

But, as to the non sequitur, well, you've got me there! :eek:fftopic:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Seb Lucas said:
However, the only evidence (for what it's worth) is Nowak telling people over at COW that he made the original out of old leather.

In fact, the wording of Mr. Novak's assertion says a lot.

In the costuming/wardrobe business, at least, it's not uncommon to take an old leather jacket, replace its deteriorated/grubby lining with a new one, and resew the leather shell's split seams and such.

I suggest it's very probable that Mr. Novak did exactly that. Granted, what he describes as "[making] the original out of old leather" I'd describe as "retaining and restoring the original old leather shell and replacing its lining."

jon z

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
I think that, outside of militaria, i've seen only one example of two jackets that are exactly the same sty;e as each other. They are the weird super high halfbelt jackets currently being discussed in a thread near the top of Outerwear. And they show very different wear.
BK: They're not as different as the pics in the thread make them appear to be. James' was photographed in natural daylight. Mine indoors with flash that has changed the colour & given it a shine far more glossy than in actuality.

One thing that struck me about the jacket BW wears is that front RH pocket. A jacket that is supposedly some 60 odd years old & showing signs of being worn for most of them would surely have pocket openings that have relaxed & stretched over the years. Hands would have been going in & out of them 1000s of times over that period. The pocket which is clearly visible on BW's jacket appears as neat & tight as the day is rolled off the sewing machine.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I always understood that the photos taken in the Nowak workshop were of the protoype jacket- not the film used one. It is obviously different.

By the way I remember someone posting in COW that Bruce asked for extra long sleeves and that the shoudlers were constructed differently.

Is someone here nereby Nowak's workshop. Maybe a phone call will sort out the story.

Nowak is also meant to have made the jacket out of Leatherheads. It too looks vintage - the aging detail is amazing if faked.

And as for finding two vintage jackets the same - there's a post right here about the short half-belt with two identical jackets found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe