Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown or Cordovan for my Aero Highwayman?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Simon, I'll be especially interested in seeing what is delivered to you next week since I have a Pioneer that will hopefully be delivered to me in the next 2-3 months but tentatively set for russet goatskin for this one rather than FQHH.

pauleway

Practically Family
Simon, I'll be especially interested in seeing what is delivered to you next week since I have a Pioneer that will hopefully be delivered to me in the next 2-3 months but tentatively set for russet goatskin for this one rather than FQHH.

Fanch, I have a HB in russet goatskin and it is a beautiful hide, and color. It is a little lighter weight than the FQHH and the grain is really nice, and very durable. You will not be disappointed!

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks once again for all your input. After much consideration I have decided to settle for the regular brown. As some of you have mentioned it is the most versatile colour in respect of matching up with other clothing. Also, seems to me to have the most character of all the colour options. Have decided to keep the weight down and cost by opting for a light weight Tartan, end of roll stuff. No internal pocket (Aero strongly suggest you do not go for this option).
The last hurdle to over-come is telling the wife! As i'v done in the past i'll need to justify it by selling on one of my other jackets (I only have three).
Appreciate all your comments and thoughts.

simonc

Practically Family
Fanch that's great, we can compare cuts, you might like to consider, while you have time, button up version, the yoke and stitching options. Did you spec anything specific?

schitzo

Suspended
I second that Fanch and should have something interesting arriving on Monday to show you

that's interesting, my Cropduster order was placed over a month before yours, I wonder how that works?

Perhaps they're out of cordovan??

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
... After much consideration I have decided to settle for the regular brown. As some of you have mentioned it is the most versatile colour in respect of matching up with other clothing. Also, seems to me to have the most character of all the colour options. Have decided to keep the weight down and cost by opting for a light weight Tartan, end of roll stuff. No internal pocket (Aero strongly suggest you do not go for this option).
The last hurdle to over-come is telling the wife! As i'v done in the past i'll need to justify it by selling on one of my other jackets (I only have three).
Appreciate all your comments and thoughts.

Mark, I think you have made a great choice with brown FQHH and can tell you that the brown FQHH of my Teamster is magnificent to view and to feel. It is flexible and has a somewhat waxy feel that is pleasing. In my case, I have gone with either moleskin or cotton drill linings for durability since any replacement or repair would be almost prohibitively expensive to ship back overseas. However, this would appear not to be your situation and concur with your choice of a lightweight tartan lining but would recommend that you request cotton drill sleeve lining. Not sure though about selling one of your other jackets as three is a very small number, particularly for most of us. ;) :D

I'll be the odd man out and recommend the satin/sateen for the sleeves. I hate the heavy drill in my 50's HBD. It grabs every short of substance and has pulled down a bit which I don't like.
Brown is smart though (assuming your wardrobe is of browns). If you were a guy who wore lots of black, I'd go that way.
The first jacket should be as versatile as you can make it. The next one(s) can get a little more crazy as time goes. That's why I'm looking at the blues now. Couldn't wear it every day, but I would like something different now and then.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Can I just add, regarding Smoz's excellent pics earlier in the thread, cordovan leather goes smashingly well with cream Harris tweed.

Dunno when I'll ever be able to afford another Aero.... Bah! I've got like, four jackets all planned out to the last detail.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Fanch,Butte & High/man. I have decided to opt for Aero's standard black cotton lining, mainly cos I reckon it will be the coolest wearing (least warm) and I think will look quite smart.
cheers

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Mark, if you are going with brown FQHH I would recommend brown lining, or even olive, rather than black. I just received samples of Aero's newer cotton linings that appear to be very durable as well as user friendly.

frussell

One Too Many
Butte's right on the money about the cotton drill. I found it really "grabby." If I wore a short sleeve shirt, I had to feed the sleeves into the jacket with a ruler. Long sleeves, I had to hold onto the cuffs so they'd make it through. When I had my steer jacket replaced with horse, I opted for a lightweight tartan, which is much easier for on and off. Lighter weight cotton sounds just right to me. Frank.

Butte's right on the money about the cotton drill. I found it really "grabby." If I wore a short sleeve shirt, I had to feed the sleeves into the jacket with a ruler. Long sleeves, I had to hold onto the cuffs so they'd make it through. When I had my steer jacket replaced with horse, I opted for a lightweight tartan, which is much easier for on and off. Lighter weight cotton sounds just right to me. Frank.
Additionally, I have the lightweight wool tartan in the GW Ventura, and it's great with shirts. I'd never get drill again. (just emphasizing this).

pauleway

Practically Family
I have cotton drill in two jackets and have no problem what so ever with them. I do however always grab my sleeve cuff when putting my arms in the jacket!

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I don't have a prob with the cotton drill either, but mine is entirely lined with it. If it had anything clingier like wool or flannel in the body it would be too much of a PITA and I'd want satin in the sleeves. Anyone have Aero's satin in their sleeves? How do you like it?

winterland1

Practically Family
I have satin in my Lost Worlds Ryder. I like it. Most of their jackets come stock all lined with satin. It is very smooth and substantial feeling. Definetly does not catch at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82