Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown or Cordovan for my Aero Highwayman?

wdw

One Too Many
If people despair of getting cordovan shoes, I've found the Grenson burgundy leather to be an exact match.

I've also used an oxblood and black polish mixture on a pair of orangey-brown Trickers to get another exact cordovan match. You just need to be brave when you try that route though.

wdw

One Too Many
William Lennon have a pretty good match too, although it has a very pebbley finish. I'm in two minds about it and am waiting to see what my black boots are like before ordering a second pair.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really liked your Lennons. Look forward to seeing your new ones. I've never really invested in boots as I tend to go through heels at a frightening rate - the local cobbler has made a fortune out of me. I think I need to build up a few pairs and rotate...

wdw

One Too Many
These were my Crockett and Jones Islays, apparently as worn by James Bond in Skyfall, although mine are the ruffty-tuffty rough-out suede version. They're my favourite footwear so far, but a different league to the more VFM Lennons.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Cherry isn't a good idea if you want to avoid a jacket that is too bright. I considered it back when but was advised against it for my Bootlegger. It looks grand on a sample, but it is different in jacket-size. Cordovan is sort of a burgundy...

33767_434025527259_6667537_n.jpg

This was taken at night, but it's fairly close to correct. Burgundy, more red than purple. Close to a good claret...

Absolutely cracking jacket Edward, great photo too.

Windward

Practically Family
My cordovan Windward and the patina . . .

and here's the combination with cordovan Alden (color #8) - but I also wear it with black shoes/boots.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks guys, your jackets look amazing. I'm not quite clear though if I can wear jeans and in particular my brown chukas with the cordovan? I kind of think if the Cordovan is not too reddish and is more deep burgundy it would look ok? To be honest i'm not about to try and find a pair of cordovan shoes to match the jacket, i'd have to opt for Aero's regular brown in that case.
Smoz, I like the Harris Tweed, can I ask is it more weighty than say the light weight Tatans and cotton options?
Edward, yes I like the idea of having a colour a little different from the usual brown or black. That was very much one of the reasons for considering the Cordovan, but then again when I think of it I cannot recall ever noticing anyone wearing a quality jacket hear in my home town. Only once did I suspect a guy going into Asda was wearing a nice A2!
Cheers chaps

Mark

Practically Family
Smoz, what's the difference between Vintage Cordovan and non vintage? Is the vintage a little more "relaxed" softer than non?

smoz

One of the Regulars
... I'm not quite clear though if I can wear jeans and in particular my brown chukas with the cordovan? I kind of think if the Cordovan is not too reddish and is more deep burgundy it would look ok? To be honest i'm not about to try and find a pair of cordovan shoes to match the jacket, i'd have to opt for Aero's regular brown in that case.
Smoz, I like the Harris Tweed, can I ask is it more weighty than say the light weight Tatans and cotton options?

I haven't (yet) tried a Highwayman or similar with wool or cotton tartan lining so can't express an opinion on how the tweed compares, I imagine it wears heavier though. Warmth wise I would say that the Highwayman/harris tweed combination can be worn in the southern part of the UK from late September to early April, in the colder months it is fine with a shirt and thin sweater (something like a John Smedley merino wool v-neck) in all but the coldest couple of weeks of the year, once it dips below zero Celsius I go for a wool overcoat rather than leather.

As for what to wear it with, I would agree with you that it is probably not worth finding a pair of shoes in the same colour for a jacket of this kind. I tend to wear it with cherry red Doc Martens, Red Wing Iron Rangers in brown or Red Wing 8131 in russet and a pair of jeans in raw/dry denim. I think your brown chukkas will be fine, i sometimes wear mine with brown suede desert boots.

Smoz, what's the difference between Vintage Cordovan and non vintage? Is the vintage a little more "relaxed" softer than non?

Again, I don't have the alternative to compare it to but my understanding is that the vintage cordovan is initially a little more pliable than the regular, I believe that the vintage cordovan was the same leather as the regular, same weight etc however it had been tumbled by Horween prior to being shipped to Aero. I did a bit of research in these forums before I ordered, the general consensus seems to be that both vintage and regular options are good, some prefer the initial stiffness of the regular, enjoy that part of the breaking in process and feel that it looks a little better in the long run. However I have had a quick look on Aero's web site and they don't appear to offer vintage cordovan HH as an option currently.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My input would still be brown FQHH (not tumbled/vintage) and select cordovan FQHH (not tumbled/vintage) as a subsequent selection. My brown FQHH Teamster stands virtually alone as having the best looking, most versatile hide that I have seen with any jacket in my lifetime.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I second that Fanch and should have something interesting arriving on Monday to show you

OK Simon, don't keep us in suspense. What do you have interesting that will be arriving on Monday to show us? :essen: :D

smoz

One of the Regulars
I think I agree, with hindsight I would recommend first Aero jacket brown, second cordovan. I did the opposite and have no regrets about doing so (first was cordovan Highwayman, second brown oil pull A-2).

The only drawback is that I know that eventually there will be a third one, at some point I will also obtain a brown FQHH with Lochcarron tartan lining. It's merely a matter of deciding which one, and which lining, and waiting for it to be made, and paying for it, and working out how to tell Mrs Smoz that yes I have got another jacket.

simonc

Practically Family
Here Fanch here is a little taster, this is my modded version of the new Pioneer with button up front and western yoke in brown cxfqhh this was taken when i was picking out the buttons. You can see I have turned the pockets hear horizontal from vertical side pockets
6e3KeRk.jpg

Here is a pic with tiger buttons
fxEJH3e.jpg

more pics anon

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82