Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in my LW ANJ-4

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing my Lost Worlds ANJ-4 as often as I possibly can in an effort to break it in.

I really love this jacket. When I wear it out I get the occasional stare, probably due more to the wool sheepskin collar.

Per my previous post, the jacket really is a Beast! and that is an understatement.

I went out today with it and when I got home I kept it on for awhile in a futile attempt to continue to break it in.

From my very limited knowledge and no experience with this type of jacket, what I've read is that the first thing that will happen is the interior wool sheepskin will start to "mat down", making it a bit more roomy.

As far as the leather breaking in, I don't know what else I can do besides just logging as many hours in it as possible.

Let me know what your experience is.

Thanks,

Dave

767fo

One of the Regulars
It is going to take a lot of wear Dave. I had one of his B3's for a short time and I do not have a clue the type of tanning he uses to get that outer shell so hard. But pics of older broken in shearling jackets of his look really nice. Your ANJ turned out very nice. Enjoy

Plumbline

One Too Many
Have had both one of his ANJ's and also a B3 ... both I eventually sold because they were also beasts to break in and after 2 years or so I'd had enough. They are super well made jackets but the sheepskin and horsehide is very thick and the sleeves never really lost that stiff feeling.

Wear it hard and often is all I can suggest :) ..... good luck

Edward

Bartender
I have a LW B3, and it is superb. I don't think I'd buy new from him - not so much Stu's legendarily unique take on customer service (I used to be a touch insulted, nowadays, tbh I frankly get a bit of a giggle out of his approach to marketing by insulting a significant proportion of his target market... ;) ), simply just that they work out expensive for shipping into the UK from the US - especially compare to having Aero so close to hand. I can well imagine it'd be the reverse for a lot of folks over in the US. Anyhow... the quality on this jacket really is outstanding. I bought it as-new from Flounger John Lever back in 2008; now nearly five years later it has served me well. I've been wearing it a lot again over this past cold snap here in London. I love the weight of the fleece; my one real criticism of my ELC 42 pattern Irvin is that it is rather more fragile than this, and I fear it being ripped much more easily. The fleece has worn back to skin round much of the cuffs and in a couple of edges up the stormflap, as one might expect it to. I love it. The only reason I can see me buying another B3 any time soon is in the event of theft, or finally having the funds to justify an Aero redskin B3... (Funny, when I bought this, my first shearling, from John, it seemed such an extravagance, but now I get so much wear during the Winter out of both this and the Irvin that I could realistically sell myself on another couple of fleeces....).

zoran

Banned
I've been wearing my Lost Worlds ANJ-4 as often as I possibly can in an effort to break it in.

I really love this jacket. When I wear it out I get the occasional stare, probably due more to the wool sheepskin collar.

Per my previous post, the jacket really is a Beast! and that is an understatement.

I went out today with it and when I got home I kept it on for awhile in a futile attempt to continue to break it in.

From my very limited knowledge and no experience with this type of jacket, what I've read is that the first thing that will happen is the interior wool sheepskin will start to "mat down", making it a bit more roomy.

As far as the leather breaking in, I don't know what else I can do besides just logging as many hours in it as possible.

Let me know what your experience is.

Thanks,

Dave

zoran

Banned
B-3New-10C.jpg

zoran

Banned
Beautiful jacket.It looks very tough and havy.Other jackets are softer.Does it mean they are lighter?is it impossible the sheepskin jacket wich is soft to be havy?does tougher mean havier?

zoran

Banned
does anyone know the exact weight of these three jackets.lost Worlds ,Aero leathers and Eastman B3 50 edition?

Cfoley1962

New in Town
I live in Northern California, near enough to the coast that we get the cold wet fog and the sea spray that comes with the wind.
I have a very similar jacket, and when new, every morning I would grab the dog, head over to the coast and walk him while wearing the jacket. After I got home, I would hang it to dry, and after dry, applied a thin coat of the leather conditioner that I was given by Frye when I bought my Frye lace up engineer boots.
I did this every day, about 60 days later, it was as if I had owned and worn it for 5 years. Now I apply another similar conditioner, Lexol, nothing fancy, every month. At the same time I use a wet cloth to spot clean that wool sheepskin collar. It just keeps getting better.
I have read so much garbage on this and similar websites about washing them, putting them in pillowcases with tennis balls on no heat, running it over with a car, seeking a fight with a bear while wearing it (I jest), all of which are nonsense. Time and weather age good leather to perfection.
I can tell you in all honesty that I have had hipsters in SF offer me really decent $ for the coat, while they were wearing a Saint Laurent $5k leather moto jacket that looked so ridiculous, shiny leather, shiny zippers, stiff as a board, with absolutely no character .
Good things come to those who wait, with the proper care, my jacket is good for another 25 years

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Blimey, this is a blast from the past. Was it really only in May that we had to deal with the mental Zoran? Personally, when we get that bone-chilling cold in the dead of winter I love pulling my ANJ-4 - it's a serious looking piece of kit, people wouldn't dare mock.

Stand By

One Too Many
Blimey, this is a blast from the past. Was it really only in May that we had to deal with the mental Zoran? Personally, when we get that bone-chilling cold in the dead of winter I love pulling my ANJ-4 - it's a serious looking piece of kit, people wouldn't dare mock.

Ah yes, it doesn't seem so long ago that ol' Zoran became unhinged and went off the deep end at you - and in such spectacular fashion too! Barking. We can look back on it and laugh now (I was too astonished to laugh at the time) and I thought you handled his awfulness perfectly.
Yes, I reckon an ANJ-4 is the perfect antidote to Winter. It'd be the next best thing to still being in bed. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to have one ...

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hmm, I see you are all familiar with sheepskins. Maybe then you can help me with my quest. I was planning to get a warm winter jacket next year. Taking into account the favourable exchange rate of the pound I think I will pull the trigger this autumn. I am looking for a jacket equally warm to my alpha n3b, something to be worn when it is really cold. What do you guys think will be warmer and more practical also for rain/snow: a sheepskin such as a b6 or anj4 or a shearling lined long half belt with mutton collar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82