Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces without Waistcoat

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I believe I've seen it explained here that at one time the white shirt under the jacket was considered underwear. Times, tastes and standards do change. I think there have been quite a few discussions here about the subject of clinging to outmoded standards verging on being an affectation. Without getting into that issue, I'll just say that I think that wearing the suspenders visibly is no big deal.
I have seen some individuals wear a shirt and tie with only suspenders (i.e. no jacket) as sort of a sign of coolness. The general manager of channel 13 in New York does that when he makes announcements on TV. I think that's a little de trop.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I have seen some individuals wear a shirt and tie with only suspenders (i.e. no jacket) as sort of a sign of coolness. The general manager of channel 13 in New York does that when he makes announcements on TV. I think that's a little de trop.

Add Larry King to the list (well, until he just retired).

Don't forget (and Dan you likely know this, being a vet) that servicemen used to be issued suspenders, which they frequently wore without a jacket. (Think classic mounted cavalryman, or Spanish-American War soldier.)

Corky

Practically Family
john-wayne.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
According to the Simpsons and the British Book of Smiles teeth straightening is unheard of in England.

I was resisting that angle. Surely there must be a British equivalent. How about the thing you wear on your neck after you get whiplash?

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I was resisting that angle. Surely there must be a British equivalent. How about the thing you wear on your neck after you get whiplash?

The things that Americans wear on their teeth are indeed called braces. I don't think we have a word for them so we use yours. ;)

The thing you wear around your neck after whiplash we call a neck brace.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Most of the photos you see in the 20's to 50's that were taken in the south in the summer the men without their jackets could care less if anyone saw their suspenders or not. People that get upset about those things never spent a summer of 100 plus degree tempatures without air conditioning.

What he said.

anon`

One Too Many
Having developed a marked preference for three piece suits and double-breasted jackets (which I rarely remove for some reason), I don't often run into this problem. But I have no issue with showing braces, regardless. There is one exception: never with black tie. It just looks really, really goofy.

Don't think I've ever been complimented on the wearing of braces other than per se, but suspenders (you know, for socks!) seem to draw comments of approval from the ladies, even though they're always covered... at least out in public!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld