Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Edward

Bartender
Looks grand. I do believe that every man should be comfortable with tying a real bow tie - even if (like myself to date) only ever wearing one for black / white tie.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
It looks good. I think the size is just about right, no need to go with a jumbo. And an excellent job tying it! :eusa_clap I would agree with the others, though, that you probably should not wear it with that last (lighter) shirt. It looks better with the darker shirt.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys.

I doubt I'll wear the tie with either of those shirts, honestly. They are casual style, really. The lighter one is what I had on when I received the tie. Then I switched to the nearest shirt with a collar that would make the tie stand out.

I've come to like bow ties as a look, and I like the fact that few people are wearing them. I just wanted to test the waters and get some opinions before buying a few more. :D

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
OK, I finally own a real bow tie for the first time in my life. One video later, I can even tie it. I took a couple of pictures that are terrible indoor shots with bad lighting, but right now I just want a sense of what people think about the proportions. This is the standard size bow. Should I (or could I) consider the "jumbo" or is this what I need?

I think it looks great on you - I have recently purchased one and I will be going back for more. My opinion would be to stick with the standard size and not buy they jumbo. The standard fits the proportions of your face really well.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I have a gold and burgundy paisley bow tie. Looks nice untied ... 'cause I can't actually tie the blasted thing. And I wouldn't know what to wear with it anyway. Although reading some of these posts, I'm thinking maybe my black and burgundy waistcoat would work fine.

There's a gentleman in town that wears one every darn day ... sometimes with khakis, sometimes with workpants, everytime with suspenders and a cap. Looks good.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
LocktownDog said:
I have a gold and burgundy paisley bow tie. Looks nice untied ... 'cause I can't actually tie the blasted thing.

Try searching youtube for a video. I found it easier than following diagrams and written instructions. I watch three and nailed it in about 15 minutes!

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yes, great knots. Tied very well. I was always cautioned on bow ties they should never be "perfect" or they look like clip on's or pre-tied ties. You want them to have a bit of your flair... Your style.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Bow Ties in need of a date!

they don't care what they do, they don't need a fancy meal, perhaps just some interesting conversation and hopefully a connection. Then they can go about their day with a bit more self esteem, thinking "hey, I'm dateable, and the world knows it"

ah ok, I have carried this joke on far enough but my point is! Vat do you tink? 20s? 30s? 40s? 50s? I'm guessing 40s but am not clear on any certain way to date bow ties, if you know.. please share! :)

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

meanwhile back in the states, ain't they super?! :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Definitely High Forties - ie Bold Look ('48 into the early '50s) or just prior.

Big flashy patterned ties started coming in circa 1941 and were popular among the civilian male cohort during WW2 - a natural reaction to austerity, because a tie wasn't much of an extravagance.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Definitely High Forties - ie Bold Look ('48 into the early '50s) or just prior.

Big flashy patterned ties started coming in circa 1941 and were popular among the civilian male cohort during WW2 - a natural reaction to austerity, because a tie wasn't much of an extravagance.

ah-cha!

how about the pointed ends? did those come in during a certain era? is it acceptable to wear them without giving them that final twist so that the pointed ends are on the outside front area? (this I would think lessen the lifespan of the tie due to the added stress on the fabric..?)

and most importantly, did you move?! is it temporary?!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick D said:
Just got my bow tie today. The color and pattern don't come out to well in the photo, it's a red baroque pattern on black with the light silver stripes.

I tried it on when I got home (had been wearing a black and silver necktie). I got it on my knee third try, the picture is my first on my neck. The knot itself really isn't that hard, it's doing neatly that seems to be the trick. I understand why it shouldn't be too perfect, but I like a neat knot (I was Scoutcraft director, what can I say?)

DSC07725.jpg

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. Where did you get it again, now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe