Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalinos in Italy?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I have some family headin' "over" and was wonderin' if anyone knew a good hat shop either in Rome or in Tuscanny that I can send my people to? As well, are the Borsos cheaper to purchase in their native land?

Thanks.

squid

One of the Regulars
I remember a hat shop at Trevi Fountain, but I don't remember it being a good shop. Via del Corso has some nice shopping, and I think I remember seeing a hat shop. There was a very nice (expensive) shop at the Straw Market in Florence (the same market with the bronze pig statue).

The Borsalino I bought for about $150 in Taormina (a long way from Tuscanny or Rome, but a tourist spot for the rich and famous) was the nicest new Borsalino I've seen. Borsalino makes some really nasty looking cheap hats too.

Bargepole

New in Town
There is indeed a Borsalino "boutique" on the Corso, up by the Hotel Russie, but the hats are very, very disappointing. You might prefer the venerable Troncarelli, at the southern end of P. Navona where it debouches into Corso Vittorio. (They do the world's best socks there, too; I am wearing a pair at this very moment.)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Borsalino hats in Italy

The prices in Italy should be a little less than they are in the states . It all depends on where you buy them . What has happened in Italy over the past few years is that the older independent stores are closing . They are being replaced with company owned Borsalino boutiques . I think that there are at least a dozen just in Italy with another one in Paris .
Where you will save is when you buy the hat there ,fill out the VAT refund skip . Even though it's a pain to get the money back , the savings is 20% .

Steven

iammatt

Familiar Face
In Florence (Tuscany) there is a Borsalino shop near the Ponte Vecchia not too far from the street market where they sell cheap, low priced leather goods. It looked OK from the outside, but I did not venture in.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Borsalino hats in Italy

For a true treat , go into the new Borsalino flagship store in Milan . I was there for the opening and it is a spectacular store . The company spared no expense in designing this place . It is two floors of all Borsalino products from hats to suits and everything in between .

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe