Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borat

Warden

One Too Many
Ho dear, (but I did giggle)

Kazakhstan's shooting team has been left stunned after a comedy national anthem from the film Borat was played at a medal ceremony at championships in Kuwait instead of the real one.

_59262660_kazakh.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17491344

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I felt "Borat" was un-even at times but one of the finest satires of "American Life" ever produced. Some scenes were truly cringe worthy, the whole nude chase scene through the hotel was a shock. But the best moments for me were when people felt comfortable enough around him to "take down their masks of civility". When folks at a dinner party would willing rather have a white foreigner who litterally brings chit to the table over a black female tells you something. It told me something. During the great "bussing" experiment of the 60's I sometimes got invited to homes by fellow students who hadn't cleared the idea with their parents who were not prepared to find me in their home when they got there.

No Borat may have been over the top for many, but in some instances it was right on target to me.

Worf

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I watched about 5 minutes of it. It struck me as unfunny with some obvious, labored efforts at being offensive or edgy. Same with Bruno. The guy just has no talent. Sort of a modern Jerry Lewis .

Most movies these days bore me within 5 minutes. Old movies are the ones I can enjoy.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Just found out Sacha Baron Cohen is retiring Borat! :( :

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/1223borat1221-ON.html

oh no!:eek:

A character like that has a short shelf-life. A large part of the humour revolves around people not knowing that he is not 'for real'. Once folks know that, it doesn't work so well. This is why, after a relatively short period, Ali G was taken to the USA, and probably also why for the film they went with a wholly fictionalised, scripted piece (which really did not play to his strengths). Paul Kay found the same thing with Dennis Pennis - once people catch on that they are going to be on the receiving end, you stop getting access. I enjoy this style of humour very much, myself - the only people I've ever seen come off badly were those who simply exposed their own prejudices and narrow-mindedness.

It'll be interesting to see what he does with this new character, a middle-eastern dictator. I can see that having the potential to ruffle a few feathers. I think my favourite moment in Borat was when he took to the stage at that rodeo and sang the supposed words of the Kazakhstani national anthem to the tune of the US anthem. Right after that guy told him he should shave off his moustache to look less like a "mooslem". Hilarious.... To do that involves a level of testicular fortitude to which we lesser mortals can merely aspire. ;)

Ho dear, (but I did giggle)

Kazakhstan's shooting team has been left stunned after a comedy national anthem from the film Borat was played at a medal ceremony at championships in Kuwait instead of the real one.

_59262660_kazakh.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17491344

lol Oops.

filfoster

One Too Many
I am searching for some feeling of remorse or anger about the Kuwaiti faux pas re the Borat version of the Kazakhstan national anthem. Still searching......still searching......nope, not going to find it.
Borat is very uncomfortable for some of us to watch but I think it has very many funny moments and worth watching again. No one does over the top better than SBC. Not so much a fan of his later efforts, Bruno was too much of a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe